Karenn Live Set on RA

This dropped in my inbox today and I was surprised to see just how much Elektron gear they are using. When I saw their videos they were mad into the Tempest and modular but they say they like to switch their gear up every so often.

It’s great to see so many Elektron boxes being utilized by one of the best Techno live acts around; although not for the wallet or GAS department though lol

10 Likes

Saw them live earlier this year with the exact same setup; I really loved it, they are very very good.
I like how dynamically they use their FX boxes for transitions.

Nice one !

I am using almost the same setup at the moment! :astonished: Looking forward to see how they configurated the liveset.

In a set up like this, how is the looper used and configured? I’ve never used a looper but it seems a lot of people use them for live performance. How do you mix it in? How do you direct your equipment to it when it has limited inputs?

Blawan on knob twiddlers hangout last night
Good watch

5 Likes

I presume they put it on a monitor send on the mixer, then route it back to an input, then they can send whatever they want to the looper

1 Like

I recall a live gig where the RC 505 was placed directly behind the Minilogue and it seemed like the Minilogue was feeding into the RC 505.
Pariah prepared loops and also played on the Minilogue while loops were running.

Their setup changed quite frequently, though.

1 Like

He talks about the looper a lot on the above knob twiddlers

1 Like

It’s a great episode of the podcast. I guess with a looper you could do a live set with only 1 synth, a drum machine and some fx.

1 Like

Yeah I keep looking at the mc707 to do this kind of stuff, plus you could record multiple clips plus you got all the effects etc

Yeah it was another fun episode! I felt a tiny little bad though for the other new guest, Blawan logically got all the attention from questions out of the chat

And still curious myself as well about this question that was asked a year ago

If you connect the looper to an aux send on your mixer, you can feed the looper any source from the mixer. Very flexible, but you have to pay attention to your sources, levels, effects etc.
Using a pre fader send, you can prepare loops regardless of the mixer levels of that instrument. You could capture a synth loop and then fade it into the mix, then capture another loop or use the synth for something else.
You could plug the looper into a channel on your mixer which would let you make use of the eq and effects sends.

You can also use the looper for transitions. My H9 looper has a dry/wet control, so I can fade from the dry signal to the loop playback. Very handy.
Some loopers offer midi sync, the H9 looper syncs perfectly to midi clock. You can configure it so that when you press the record footswitch, it will start recording at the next bar. You can also set it to autoplayback after a set recording length. So capturing loops for tranditions is as easy as on the Octatrack.

Or you can feed an instrument directly into the looper and use it primarily as a source for building loops and textures.

Put a filter after the looper, put effects after the looper…

If you want to know if a looper fits your workflow, which features you need and which you don’t need, you can play around in your DAW.

1 Like

Ah, this makes sense. I’ve always thought about it more in terms of how I would use OT for transitions. So sound goes via OT already, then you loop, and need to fade. But if you prepare and record the loop before you fade it in, it makes sense as as PFL mixer send-return. Thanks.

Don’t have a DAW but I can just try it out via OT. The only things to change is preparing it via Cue before I fade it in.

I do actually also have an H9. And I would love a looper without OT. Recently I did a set on the Rytm alone, and I did miss transition option. Will try the H9 some time!

1 Like

Very nice talk again. Loved the discussion of live approaches and philosophies.

2 Likes

Karenn
Have now started Persha

Has anyone checked this new Metal release? The single The Man with the Magic Soap from the album woth the same name has been released. The rest of the tunes will be released soon.

What are you guys saying? Never really wanted to listen to metal but I enjoyed listening to that tune.

1 Like

Interesting, I’m now listening to it. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like