Just did my first gig with MPC Live

Worked like a charm! Great feedback afterwards, from people in the crowd.

:smiley:

Essentially, used 3 stems (Kick, Bass and everything else) and loaded each “song” whilst my musical partner filled-in the gaps with synths. So, used it for stem/backing tracks, with improvised synths over the top.

Ideally, I’d like to use more stems, which would require streaming from the SSD, or chopping things up into loops.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the gig went well!

So you used all 6 outputs? Into a small mixer or something like that?

1 Like

Hey congrats on your first MPC gig !

I would be very interested to read how exactly you set things up in the machine, how you handled transitions, if you made use of Q-Link modes etc… Can you share some of your best trade secrets ? :grinning:

We (Pascal OVNI and me) kept it very simple. No real big tricks as things are.

It was a 3 hour live set, where we moved from ambient to full-on, warming up for Eat Static.

First half, was on Pascal’s kit, sub-mixed through my A&H Qu24. MPC wasn’t used for that first half.

Then for the more full-on material I loaded projects on-the-fly on the MPC, each project being a ‘song’. Currently, the only way to get STEMs going, is to load the whole audio files into memory. Just about enough room for 3 24 bit stereo STEMs. That also let me choose tracks on-the-fly.

Transitions are/were ambient/fx/pad based on a bunch of synths, rather than something approaching beat-matching. We tend to add to the material, with live percussion, synths and sometimes guitar, rather than mess around with the material.

If I can get more STEMs (if Akai implement streaming from SSD), then I can route individual tracks out to the mixing desk for messing around with - or use the MPC’s own effects. Merv (Eat Static) actually does something similar, in that he has a multi-track HD based playback system, into a big 32 channel analogue desk. He then ‘plays’ the material with the desk, similar to how the dub guys used to (and still do) work - sending to delay, reverb etc. and playing with EQ / filters, panning etc.

I could chop up loops, but we’re not working in the mode of arranging on the fly. The material is a bit too complex synth-wise. Drum-wise, I could do that, but would take a fair bit more work.

5 Likes

For this one, it was stereo output only into a Qu24, which also had a bunch of synths connected. I might separate out onto the other outputs next time. In fact, this venue’s sound engineer says he’d like separate outputs sent to his desk if possible.

For future (solo) projects, I might use more of the MPC features, including the MIDI sequencer and on-the-fly arranging etc. I’ll probably build that material up on the MPC itself, whereas the stuff with Pascal involves a lot of synth tracks, with lots of slow modulation, which doesn’t lend itself to looping.

1 Like

Lovely stuff. Great outfit.

1 Like

He’s on great form at the minute too. Best Eat Static gig I’ve seen in a good while!

1 Like

Hi!
I am thinking to get MPC One for live gigs with my guitarist. And mostly want to pre-produce main stem aka “backing track” and set of loops and one-shot samples to use with it. I am also singing using vocal processor. And ideally get midi clock from this device to my processor or/and potential loop station of my guitarist. My attention will be pretty much spreaded between all this activities, so for most of songs it is important for me to have the whole structure of a song pretty much done and fixed in that backing track. I am a bit worry if MPC One is good for this purpose. I am trying to read all these manuals online, but still not sure i understood it 100 percent.
Defo if i’ll get it and spend time with it mystery will be solved, it’s just a bit scary (money wise) if it’s not really what i need. lol
Also question: how long it will take for me to switch between my songs?
I know your topic is about MPC Live, but i just thought you might still have something to say to me :slight_smile: i will be very grateful for your help.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, welcomw to Elektronauts :blush: two things pop out to me here. The MPC One doesn’t stream, so if your loops and stems are many and long, you’ll run out of memory eventually. And loading songs takes some time, which might cause unwanted breaks for you.

The Deluge solves all this, but is a very different thing, so the comparison might or might not be relevant.

1 Like

Hi.

Not much use if you want to stream more than around 3 stereo stems I’m afraid.

…but for one main backing track and one-shot samples - it’ll do the job nicely I reckon.

1 Like

Yes yes! That’s what I thought, one backing track and bunch of samples and loops.

How about switching between songs? will it take long? Few seconds? Few minutes?

Thanks a lot for replying to me :slight_smile:

Thanks, glad to be here :slight_smile: :blush:
I don’t think I will go very wild on samples and loops. Thinking about 1 full length stem (backing track) and 4 loops, maybe few one-shot things. that’s all.
How long it will take to load pack like this?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Well, a couple of seconds at least, but if you’re thinking about the context of a show or similar, and you got something going between songs, like natural pauses for talking or whatever, it’ll work nicely. It’s not a DJ-friendly break but if you look at it as natural pause, I think you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

yeah, natural few secs is fine with me :slight_smile:
thanks!

I have a feeling that I will come back with more questions later :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I tend to link with synth pads/effects etc. Easier when I’m working with my musical partner, but still do-able on my own.

I’m not really an MPC head, don’t even like the thing, but plenty people around here know and enjoy it, so you’ll find help when you need it, for sure😊

I am pretty sure, as soon as I dig this thing I will produce do more tunes based on it’s feautures and in-build sounds, but just have to start with 10 first songs at least. And original music that already been written I would prefer to sound the way it is now.

Thanks once again for your answers. Its all helpful stuff.

1 Like

I quickly checked out The Deluge btw, looks like something good, but way out of my budget unfortunately :frowning:
I want moneeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy so bad

2 Likes

Yeah, pricing’s on the Deluge depends a lot on where you live in the world. I’m in Sweden so once currency is converted and taxes are done, it ended up about the same as the One, over here. Also, shipping was cheap. But I hear wildly different stories on the price of the Deluge, so I can totally see why it could end up an expensive affair.

You might wanna check out the Blackbox. It streams, handles one shots, loops and stems, it’s portable and a lot more immediate, but reminds in many ways of the MPC, the good parts about the MPC anyway :blush:

1 Like

Not bad but silence in between. Keep in mind load time does depend on how many samples are loaded in memory. Not holding my breath for disk streaming any time soon.

Unfortunately the one Naut I was gonna summon looks to be on hiatus. Hopefully more users with gig experience can help with some tips, tricks, and thoughts.