Jomox Mbase for kicks. Worth it?... or is it overcomplicating?

Though they’re getting better, I’m still not close to the emulating the kind of pounding kick I desire for techno. I’ll get there.

Toying with the idea about getting an Mbase to get some analog beef going.

Is this a good idea or should I just persevere with layering MD instruments till I find my ideal template?

I’m aware that I’d be losing the internal compression if I use an Mbase… and that is not ideal. Can an Mbase user tell me if this makes a huge difference to them?

Thanks

Martin

Not if you route it into the MD input, and use a track with INP-GA or INP-GB machine triggered.

For what it’s worth, I was looking at MBase 11s for a hot minute, something for an additional voice for my A4’s CV track, since it has a trigger input and the CV can send trigger pulses.

Ultimately, I found that a Roland TM-2 was a better deal. It cost less, and I could load it up with thousands of kick drum samples via SD card (plus other samples if need be).
It’s not that fully featured, but full featured enough to come across as a more versatile option than MBase 11 for kicks. Plus it has 4 voices.
I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet, as I’m not sure I’ll need it with my new Nord Drum 2.

One other option, and definitely recommended before spending any considerable money, is the MD-909 drum pack from http://www.valerrecords.com/store/

Not a huge fan of Jomox kicks (used to own an Xbase 999 and used an Mbase). They sure are loud, but imo they still lack something. Not enough punch and they kinda sound a bit weird.

I’d much rather get (and do own) a Roland TR-8. To my ears, it sounds better than the Xbase I had, despite being digital.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m wondering how the machine drum and the TR-8 would pair together. Hmmm.

The mbase11 kills the tr8 kicks by miles imo (had them both, sold them to get an 888). The variety of kicks you can get is huge and as a bassline sounds really nice too. Is it for techno? Oh yes it is.

3 Likes

I’m interested in what the TR-8 has to offer all round more so that just the kicks.
The mbase can offer more variation in kicks, but used TR-8s are going for almost the price of a new mbase.

Oh and thanks for the input. How do you like your 888?

Not if you route it into the MD input, and use a track with INP-GA or INP-GB machine triggered.

For what it’s worth, I was looking at MBase 11s for a hot minute, something for an additional voice for my A4’s CV track, since it has a trigger input and the CV can send trigger pulses.

Ultimately, I found that a Roland TM-2 was a better deal. It cost less, and I could load it up with thousands of kick drum samples via SD card (plus other samples if need be).
It’s not that fully featured, but full featured enough to come across as a more versatile option than MBase 11 for kicks. Plus it has 4 voices.
I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet, as I’m not sure I’ll need it with my new Nord Drum 2.

One other option, and definitely recommended before spending any considerable money, is the MD-909 drum pack from http://www.valerrecords.com/store/[/quote]

I second, try:
http://www.valerrecords.com/
TopNotch emulation 808/909 with the power of the elektron sequencer!

For techno hell yes the Jomox will pair beautifully with the MD. I ran that pair myself a few years ago and the Jomox added girth and power, no doubt.

Route it into the MD if you need to. There’s other options, sure, but I’m a fan of getting the right tool for the job. If you want an analog kick them get an analog kick module.

3 Likes

One other option, and definitely recommended before spending any considerable money, is the MD-909 drum pack from http://www.valerrecords.com/store/[/quote]
Thanks for the tips, Adam. I missed this somehow. I think I had that 909 pack installed when I first got the MD and have since saved over it. Must get it again.
Just looked in to the TM-2, interesting.
What advantages do you get from incorporation a Nord drum into your setup?

With ND2, 6 fully programmable synth voices sequenced by MM, to use for drums mostly, leaving MM’s own voices free for FX and other synth work. It completes the MM sequencer’s capabilities for me.
The drive and EQ parameters make the kicks knock if you want them to. Tone timbre can turn thuddy kick drums into rumbling beasts.
It can also do some basslines, and fun FM lead stuff. I’ll be experimenting soon with using it as a synth for chords and exploring its boundaries in that regard.

1 Like

The 888 has even a nicer kick, its not so hands on as the tr8, but sounds better and more varied i think. Tr8 350£ jomox mbase11 150£ish

1 Like

Are the sounds similar to those heard in the demo video of the “MD-909” drum pack? The video isn’t selling it to me at all… but I guess there’s lots of tweaking to be done when you get the pack.

[quote="“Martinukai”"]

Are the sounds similar to those heard in the demo video of the “MD-909” drum pack? The video isn’t selling it to me at all… but I guess there’s lots of tweaking to be done when you get the pack.[/quote]
Those are the sounds in the pack, so yes.

Love the Jomox kick - someone said it was like getting kicked by a horse in the side of the head! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kick solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNaZ0zundvY

With other instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixAv_s_Gko

Are the sounds similar to those heard in the demo video of the “MD-909” drum pack? The video isn’t selling it to me at all… but I guess there’s lots of tweaking to be done when you get the pack.[/quote]
Those are the sounds in the pack, so yes.[/quote]
I didn’t exactly phrase that correctly;)

Thanks.

Surprised to hear so much Jomox praise. I didn’t my like my 999 and everyone was always complaining how bad my drums sounded back then, so it wasn’t just my ears. I bought a Vermona DRM 1 mk 3 after that and there was a very noticeable quality increase in my drums.

It (the Jomox) was always damn difficult to sell, took almost 6 months and several price drops to find a buyer.

1 Like

I’ve been eyeing what drum machine to get for about a month straight now. The mbase 11 flew into radar then the 999 and 888. Very interested in hearing your thought’s on the 888 kicks vs the mbase 11. Never really looked into jomox stuff before, but that shit definitely hits and has a special something about it (for me). The mbase 11 has more sculpting ability correct, and how does the 888’s kick compare to that? I’m not looking for long boomy bass drums. Looking for bloated fat kicks with plenty of character selection on attack, solid and quick sustain, w/ a short decay.

1 Like

I love the TR8 LT set to 707 kick and BD set to 909 kick. When tuned together well, it makes for a super nice snappy but deep kick. Gives lots of tuning room for snap, punch, and sub.

I really liked the Jomox XBASE 09 kick I had.
Maybe I’d change my mind today because I bought the MBase 11 recently, didn’t like it at all, especially because of fixed pitch envelope decay time. Tried half an hour. Sold.