Jomox Alphabase - thoughts and alternatives?

I recently saw this box on Youtube demos at Superbooth and I’m really impressed but it’s a hefty price-tag.

I’m a techno producer, so I think it appeals for that reason.

For me it solves three problems:

1. Having samples available in the hardware and as a result a wider range of drum sounds available outside of the computer than the DrumBrute gives me.
  2. Having an all in one box that I can jam a complete track out of - the sampler means I can use wave forms and make instruments too.
  3. Introducing an FM synth into my workflow.

However, this concept is pretty new to me and I’ve not been able to find anything comparable, so I was wondering what comparable products are out there.

Go digital. Get an Op-1

Internal battery powered all in one with sampling, synthesis and FX. Even a 4-track recorder

It’s even got Fm

1 Like

Just get a second hand RYTM.

4 Likes

Yeah I think the RYTM is the obvious alternative
Synth and samples in the one box

1 Like

Its pretty expensive isn’t it?
1700 EU? Not sure.

I gues you could get a second hand AR and Md for the same price.

Or an md and mm, or Ar and mm.

What does your current setup look like? What hardware and/or software do you use? If you use software, what controller do you use with it? Are you happy with your workflow in general?

1 Like

I think a great affordable alternative that is about 1/4 the price is the MFB Tanzmaus. I was considering one before deciding to sell stuff, and splurge on the Jomox Alpha Base.

2 Likes

Personally, as an unhappy owner of an Xbase 999, I wouldn’t touch Jomox’s gear. Obtuse interface, oddly cheap knobs and for all that it’s built-like-a-tank, feels DIY in terms of general feel.

Moreover, I’ve found the firmware to be buggy.

Mind you, I might just be unlucky, so of course consider the opinions of others.

1 Like

That was my impression too from owning a Jomox Xbase 888 when they first came out. I didn’t hold on to it long enough to check out any of the OS iterations though. This is my last dance with Jomox; many years have gone by since 888/999 was first released, and there are many new products in the market that has changed drastically. Jürgen Michaelis enthusiasm for it sold me. I think of him as one of the OGs.

1 Like

My current set-up is an Avalon Bassline (which I put through an Analog Heat) for acid
A Nord Lead and Korg Minilogue soon to be paired with a Squarp Pyramid
And a DrumBrute

On the laptop I use Reason 9, but that’s a separate operation really, I haven’t thought much about integrating the two set-ups

Thanks. A few observations:

• Samples are always nice, but keep in mind that this isn’t a full-blown sampler. If you want hardware sampling, then you could also grab a rackmount unit second-hand (e.g. EMU E4XT Ultra, Yamaha A5000) and sequence it with the Pyramid.
  • This seems like a great box for some great minimal techno jams. However, keep in mind that you’ll effectively be adding a third setup if you do this.
  • I think you should consider the FM voice on this box a nice addition. Keep in mind that it’s supposedly “optimized for percussive sounds”. If you’re after classic FM sounds then you might be better off grabbing a second-hand DX11.
  • I don’t think there’s really much comparable out there. The Rytm comes to mind, but it doesn’t sample by itself and it sounds different from what I’ve heard so far.

By the way, how are you mixing all this gear?

1 Like

Interesting idea about the sampler - currently my main goal is get at my collection of wav samples that have fed years of work in Reason, being able to record into something would be a bonus, but I’m not sure the Alphabase does that - it’s was the SD card loading I think.

I should be able to chain them all up with midi - currently the DrumBrute acts as master, the Analog Heat splits the clock out to Avalon and Korg (Nord is out of the picture for this as there’s no sequencer for at least a couple of more weeks) - The Pyramid will be the master once it arrives.

I’m happy with the one set of keys on the Nord (in fact, I’m thinking of selling or exchanging the Korg for something modular for the sake of space) so I’m not sure taking another device with keys would be ideal.

It might be worth thinking about what I could get for the money (in the UK, 1700E will have 20% tax on it too I think, the Pyramid did) - I expect I could get a very good drum machine / sampler (the Rtym looks good) and a modular FM synth.

The audio currently goes through an Allen and Heath Xone32 DJ mixer (I also have 1210s and Rane Serato for this - that’s a lot of fun too) that’s at home. When we’re in our practice rooms it goes through a Pioneer and into some bigger speakers :slight_smile:

In the spec sheet at http://www.jomox.de/shop/product-details/alpha-base-en1l55.html it lists “2 sample based instruments with external sampling input and pure digital playback” as a feature so I’m pretty sure you can sample into it.

Highly recommend first figuring out what type of FM sounds you’re after and then buying based on that. For example, a PreenDM2 sounds nothing like classic Yamaha FM synths and for example the two-operator FM models in the Braids Eurorack module are once again slightly different in character.

A Volca FM might also fit nicely in your setup if you want to keep things compact.

I’ve owned a XBase999 and it’s a very tough decision because there are serious pros and cons to consider when looking into an Alphabase:

Cons:
1 - 999 knobs felt flimsy (but I don’t recall actual data glitches because of this, just a weird feeling)
2 - 999 had very weird software - unintuitive and sometimes downright glitchy
3 - after being spoiled by Elektron p-lock workflow, nothing compares

Pros:
1 - THOSE ANALOG VOICES - holy sh%$#@^ I have a Jomox MBase because nothing really kicks like it can - it really feels like it’s pushing the air, and thus, your digestive system when hooked up to a PA
2 - THOSE SAMPLE VOICES - there is something about Jurgen’s circuitry, digital chunky dirt put through an analog VCA…it is just so “present”…you feel like you’re inside the machine.

Obviously, though, I chose a Rytm over an XBase

:3lektron: for life

3 Likes

fyi I hear the knobs on the Alpha Base are better than the problematic ones found on the 888/999. The Alpha Base seems pretty singular to me. I can’t resist its allure.

1 Like

Can you help me decide, Rytm mk2 vs Jomox Alpha Base? Especially the ones who tested them both, maybe also older models? Maybe also what you play, i would need it for techno…

1 Like

@stage6 Can you help me decide, Rytm mk2 vs Jomox Alpha Base? Especially the ones who tested them both, maybe also older models? Maybe also what you play, i would need it for techno…

i will reply to both. From all your questions both of them may be an obvious and pricey choice. We are on the Best Modern Drum Machine available on the Market.

But, one thing strike me here. Please don’t hesitate between those two. If you plan a second drum machine in your setup and asking between the Tempest or the Jomox Alpha Base i would say ok it depends… if it’s me i would take the Jomox.

But for a First Drum Machine i would not take any chance to be disapointed
because it’s a lot money and also your first step in the Drum Machine in Hardware.

TAKE THE RYTM ! don’t think an instant to take something else !

Want me more explanations ? i can but it will be very long ! i can’t even imagine an instant you put this in a CAVIAR VS SPICE battle. The RYTM offers just everything you need as well as every music genre. Jomox will add only Spices on top. That Techno spice you need, because you have the money and it will only the cherry on the RYTM cake… (i don’t say it’s BAD … at all Jomox Sound is exceptional… but i would only considering Jomox to Pair the RYTM and not the opposite.

Sorry for the TONE this one comes from the HEART, the HURT, i don’t know

The Analog RYTM is the Best Drum Machine EVER
(it cover everything sampling, drum layering, chromatic plays, FM’ish, Crazy things, the most powerful sequencer in the world… you can make a FULL SONG on it… A beast to Save more than one Live Performance on the +drive … the Jomox is far away on another planet a good one for sure but you can’t do what you can do with the RYTM)

+++ The Compressor : DAMN so VITAL

NB: The Jomox Guy is alone, small company. i ask for replacement pieces they don’t have anything (it was on the Mbase 11… i sold it anyway but it was painful also with firmware update…) so definitively i would not bet on jomox… on the main and important piece of my setup. But on the spices, like a second one … YES as long as i’m secure with a main drum machine and only if i have money for a second one.

3 Likes

Wiliam thanks for pointing it out so nicely, since this will be the my primary drum machine for techno, it seems that RYTM would indeed be best choice. By that the “cream” would be served, which can still be filled with some nice jomox samples for some “cherries” on top, i guess :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

word to the wise : try a Rytm, pretty extensively before you commit, if you’re intending to use the Rytm as main techno drum machine. You may find that the analogue machines do not ultimately deliver the sound that’s in your head.

I was a Rytm early adopter : I then spent about 2 years trying - & failing - to get the sort of kicks, snares & hats ( toms were ok ! ) from it that I wanted. I ended up just using it as a sample playback machine with classic Roland etc sounds : very nice though the analogue filters, distortion etc. but not ultimately what I’d bought it for : I have Live for a billion 909 / 808 samples… In the end the Rytm had to go : I’m currently back using samples for drums - for when I play out live I bought a TR-09 : for £300 it delivers exactly what I could never get from the Rytm.

I appreciate this is a personal choice - & if you love the kicks etc you’re getting then I’m happy for you - but for me it was just a no-no. I wished I’d never sold my trusty Machinedrum : the TRX machines got me what I wanted in spades - I thought the Rytm would be even better, it wasn’t.

for context I think it may just be that I don’t like the sound of the Elektron anlalogue stuff : I also grappled with the A4 for a few years before realising that purely using it as a CV+Gate sequencer didn’t justify it’s price tag. I hated the sound.

The Jomox sound is something else : my old Xbase09 is still my fave kickdrum ever. I’m not in the market for the new Alphabase - I can’t shell out that sort of £££ on a drum machine right now - but I think if I wanted an ultimate modern techno machine it would be the one I was looking at.

1 Like

i try TANZBAR, DrumBrute, TR8, TR-08, TR-09, JOMOX 999, 888, MBASE11, VERMONA…
For those who want to make Live Performance… The RYTM is the better choice because it’s more than a Drum Machine.

I can have all the Power and Design in my Drums i looking for with Layering.
But Drum Layering on the RYTM MK1 need to be prepared outside of the RYTM, Properly Mixed with RYTM Synth machine and then imported… back (MK2 version will probably makes this step a bit more friendly). For people like me who didn’t like Synthesis on real Material sounds (like Hats, Rides…) Using Sample is a necessity …

People who don’t like the RYTM are people who are too attached to the classics 808 909… (for them TR8, TR-08, TR-09, JOMOX… is probably a better choice if they’re just after the classic sounds) and can not, or do not have the desire to modernize or break the codes of their own music genre.

The RYTM is way more powerful than any other Drum Machine on the Market (I mean NEW with Warranty). For those who want to make Live Performance, those who want to make their Beat Organic, those who want to get their own sound signature.

==> But you need time to develop all of this. The advantage is no-one will sound like you because you design your own drums… And Layering is 30% of the process where the other 70% is done by the RYTM Synth + Effects + Sequencer itself. Now you probably need to get out the Kick on it’s individual out and extend the Sound Shaping with all kind of external processing, depending on what you after.

That’s the problem with Hardware you need to think it as one VST. On a DAW, you put one VST but usually put some effects for processing and creative effects ? so then you need to do the same. If the Internal effects don’t gives you what you want.

Except each VST plugins cost at least 1000euros in the real world of hardware.
:sweat_smile:

2 Likes