Jomox Alphabase - thoughts and alternatives?

Same here. I had a lot of fun coming up with more experimental stuff on mine, but I never got the “bread and butter” kicks, claps, snares, and hats I bought it for. Maybe things are different now, and the resampling on the MkII should help layering things up, but it didn’t do that job for me.

If you want hardware for classic techno drums, you might want to consider a TR-09, a TR-08, and/or a Digitakt you’ll fill with vintage drum machine samples.

Aah. Told off for not “pushing the boundaries of a genre” again. I love that one. :smile: merry Xmas all. :heart:

When things don’t sound ‘right ‘ they don’t sound right. That’s all it is. And that’s a personal choice. Let’s not lecture each other on music production skills eh. I’ve been doing this for over 25 years & I’ve owned more drum machines than most people have had hot dinners. :blush:

9 Likes

Today I tested Rytm mk2 and Alpha Base side-by-side. If you ask me I couldn’t tell how the Alpha Base kick is going beyond Mbase11, same for the M.branes. Otherwise as expected it had the Jomox power and I would’t say that this is the essential criteria when choosing a drum machine, at least not for me. For the Rytm mk2 and its synths I could’t tell how and where it goes much beyond mk1.

So having a Rytm mk1 + Mbase11 and having a Rytm mk2 + Alpha Base, I don’t know, I would’t note a difference, although its a difference in $$$$ range, when it comes to using them as a synth, which is for me the most important when buying a analog synth especially in that price range. I don’t gig Live and produce also using a computer on my desk.

I know, I know, Rytm sequencer, workflow, new sampling capabilities, bigger pads, bigger screen, Jomox FM synth, samples, with nice Jomox filters, etc.

After spending a lot of time with the new Rytm and Alpha Base, I wanted to go home, then I went by the Maschine mk3, and after 30mins I thought shiiittt. Using not much, just some of its drum synths, fx, transient designer, filters, etc. Some FM4 and Massive stabs, it was crazy… how good, how fast…

Im not thinking about Rytm and Alpha Base anymore, for me any my output I have seen what is important, and while there are terabytes of samples of all drum machines available, and the workflow that computer programs and big monitors offer. Having a Ableton 10 with Push2 and/or Maschine Mk3 with Komplete… piuuu… I am off to space… everything else is and would also be for me just a nice hobby :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

ITB / OTB … take pleasure and get things done :wink: if it’s your way to go then ! Don’t change
There is no problem at all… Everyone need to get things done in his own budget !

1 Like

There’s another thread on this. Jomox drum machines are notoriously buggy and a PITA to use. The support is pitiful to non-existent and the last Jomox drum machine (xbase 999) was abondoned by Jomox without fixing the bugs in the OS. No way would I spend this kind of money on a Jomox.
The sequencer is primitive compared to Elektron’s. On the 999 it didn’t even keep your pattern edits in RAM so if you accidentally switched to another pattern (easy to do in the badly thought out UI) you lose all your work on that pattern. You had to save the pattern manually before switching to another pattern. A real workflow killer. I gave up on mine quite quickly and had real trouble selling it as a lot of people are aware of the issues. The encoders were also pretty bad. I think it didn’t even have pattern switching over MIDI.

If you want some Jomox drums you’re much better off getting an Mbrane or Mbase or the Airbase module and sequencing them with something more capable.

I agree!

2 Likes

I’m sick of my Rytm.
There I said it.
I spend ages trying to get the sounds I want and lose my writing enthusiasm and the samples all sound coloured and dull.
Gone back to using my OT for drums.

4 Likes

Not sure what sound people are after from the Rytm but have you guys used the compression, overdrive, filtering and modulation options? The presets are not great but with some tweaking you can get pretty much anything…

1 Like

I own the Jomox Alpha Base, and I think it’s an amazing piece. I’ve owned the 09, Mbase, and 888 before, but didn’t like any of them as much as like the AB. I find the sounds very inspiring. It’s very different from the RYTM. Personally, I’m glad I chose the AB over the RYTM (which I’ve owned before). I actually prefer the Tanzmaus to the RYTM for analog drum sounds. I still think the Tanzmaus is the best alternative to the AB if you want something more affordable.

3 Likes

Wow. Just listened to some Tanzmaus videos. Sounds great. Could be cool to pair with a DT to add some analog drums and more affordable than the Rytm if you have a DT. I’ll have to keep my eyes on the used market this year.

I second the Tanzmaus reccomendation, Tanzmaus has got punch and like really like the sample engines, p-locks, individual track lengths - it’s excellent value for money. I’m selling the Vermona DRM Mk 2. Too wooly, IMO it thuds, but doesb’t punch - much of the sonic range was unusable for me. More suitable for down tempo IMO. Impractical for live (though that should be obvious before buying). And I still love my Nord G2 engine for hits and loops (quite a rabbit hole though) which I usually give a bit of OTB treatment and load (not record) into an Octatrack MK1. Because of the G2 I’m half tempted by the Nord Drum 2 My latest drum addition - a top drummer with a Roland SPD Octopad jamming unquantized on top of my patterns - priceless!

3 Likes

Ok so I dug deep into the compressor on the Rytm and it finally clicked. I forgive it now lol. Sharp BD with filter and compression is what I was after all along!

4 Likes

So . . . Currently putting money away for the Jomox Alpha Base. I’m a techno producer as a hobby and think it’ll tick some great boxes.

Currently have 2OTs, DFAM, DN and the Grandmother (due in 3 weeks)
My only side thoughts about this is whether £1500 is beyond the price I need to pay for an impressive drum machine.
I had a MD but found the kicks didn’t really do it for me.
Have read varying opinions about the Rytm.
Thought about TR8S but it’s not analogue.

What are the opinions of the Elektronaut community about the Alpha Base in regards to other alternatives?

Cheers,
Adam

What attracts you most to the alpha base?

From what I’ve heard of the AB, imo it’s a one trick thoroughbred. It sounds PHENOMENAL at the few things it does.

The AR imo sounds great at many things.

Again afaik imo fwiw ymmv and all that.

1 Like

I’m after something that’s got character that stands out.
I know the vagueness of that response and how subjective ‘character’ is but I’m after something with a large sweet spot. Something that sounds alive and that cuts through amongst other sounds.

The DFAM is a great example of that character. It feels alive and really inspires me. I’m hoping for a ‘regularly’ sequenced drum machine but the character of the quirky DFAM.

Does that make sense? I guess I want a DFAM with more control and sound palette.

1 Like

The 2017 SuperBooth vid of the Alpha Base made it seem like the single sexiest drum machine I have ever seen tbh.

Yeah, I know the videos don’t really set me on fire.

I’m piecing my perspective from a number of written reviews and, more so, on the feedback relating to previous Jomox products.

AB is a amazing drum machine. With two analog insturments its mostly samples but it makes those samples sound great. The filter on the samples can do alot including sub base and toms . If you do techno it’s definitely worth it, i am starting to see used onesgo on sale here and their in the US so you might be able to find one cheaper.

The rytm is just as good for techno as well and can do more varitions . If you cant do any type of techno with the rytm i am guessing its the user not being so good with techno.

After you get a AB Id look into getting a rytm mk1 used at a cheap price to go with the alpha base. You could do live techno with just those two.

Yeah, I’ve been looking for 2nd hand AB bit haven’t seen any in the UK.
Currently it’s the machine I’m leaning towards. Not sure of alternatives that are well respected.