JoMoX Alpha Base Analog Drum Synthesizer

:joy: Just try calling him

1 Like

I meanā€¦ this is the type of sht JĆ¼rgen doesā€¦ :joy::joy::joy: the dudeā€™s like a mad scientist from a film noire setā€¦

How can I not love my AB?

3 Likes

No one is asking you to be patreon and wait around. You make it sound like the AB is nonfunctional which is totally not the case.

The AB is 100% working and we (users) hope with some clever firmware he may be able to implement some extra neat tricks (which were never promised).

The OT or Overbridge its significantly worse by comparison - and thats years later.

Is there a way to return Alpha Base to its default settings? Iā€™ve edited all the kits and patterns but I want to start from the beginning.

In case you guys missed itā€¦
Boomā€¦ firmware v1.31 released!

• Delay BPM Sync
  • BPM Clock Monitor
  • LFO BPM Sync
5 Likes

Long Jurgen interview and AB demo

5 Likes

Wow that was an impressive in depth walk through of the machine.

2 Likes

Hi guys !

Someone found good settings for snare sound with the Mbrane and would like to share ? Very difficult to program for me !
Same, for the kick, how to get close to 909 ?

Do you use effects pedals with the Jomox Alphabase ? I would like to use a distorsion pedal but i dont know how to use the LEFT and RIGHT stĆ©rĆ©o output of the Alphabase because there is just an input in the RAT distorsion pedalā€¦

Do you think we can use Elktron sample pack on the Jomox Alphabase ?

Thank you for your help !

Hi! Im wondering if there is anyone WHO owns both a tempest and a AB.
I own a Tempest and are very happy with it but would like to expand my drum sounds.
Any overlaps?
Any toughts or experience u would like to share?

If I already owned a Tempest, Iā€™d much rather just get a Jomox Mbase to supplement it.

I found the Mbrane incapable of making anything punchy or snappy, and the FM synth made the least desirable FM sounds Iā€™ve ever heard an FM synth produce (for my purposes).

The kick drum and the ability to process samples with the analog filters are the main attraction imo, but I really felt it couldā€™ve benefitted from something to add grit (like overdrive or something). Also, the OS is not fun/compelling to use imo.

FYI I owned both at separate times.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input :+1:

Dang it! Just got a BIG ok from my wife to buy a Alpha Base if i want toā€¦didnā€™t make it easier to decide :joy:

3 Likes

Alpha Base is on its way here :man_dancing:

5 Likes
1 Like

Yes, unfortunately that is very similar to the experiences I had with Jomox support:

I sent a mail, waited a year (in the meanwhile I sold the device of question, then bought it again) then contacted jomox again, politely mentioning the fact that I got no response for 12 months ā€¦ then started to wait again, now four years have passed and I would carefully claim that there are better ways to treat customers.

Itā€™s possible that things might have turned out differently if I had tried to contact Jomox via phone, but that doesnā€™t justify ignoring customer concerns like that.

I really like what you can do with Jomox devices sound-wise, but in my opinion jomox user interface, software, encoders are just terrible and not efficient to fiddle around with. Itā€™s great that you can control a lot of stuff via MIDI, so you can work around and use a third party interface made by companies that understand ergonomics.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really on the edge of buying this thing, but experiences like yours just let me hesitate enough to not justify this investment.

The 2nd hand market just isnā€™t good and deep enough to just try it out, pay a 200 eur ā€œfeeā€ and let go of it if it doesnā€™t klick.

Just a pity, I would love to lay my hand on an alpha base.

absolutely all of this. Iā€™ve had similar experience with customer service. emailed them a year ago to ask about having an XBase 09 battery replaced (if they could do it, what part I needed if I were to, etcā€¦) and still no reply. Iā€™ve read over on MuffWiggler of a fellow who had his tech ask about which part was needed for replace a failed 999 screen; no reply. hard to throw $2k at a company who completely abandons their products once theyā€™re out of production.

on top of that, the OS is just garbage. bugs and crashes left and right. yes, you CAN fight your way through it and find workarounds to all the bugs. but itā€™s incredibly uninspiring to work that way. usually by the time youā€™ve gotten what you were after from the machine, youā€™ve lost your creative mojo and are just angry. Iā€™m speaking of working with the 888 and 999 here. my hunch would be that Jurgenā€™s software development skills havenā€™t made leaps and bounds ahead for the Alpha Baseā€¦

in my opinion, the 09 is the sweet-spot of their stuff. OS is just simple enough that thereā€™s no real bugs. the best parts of their analog sound (kick and snare) are there. and the lo-fi six bit samples are there (which I love). only problem is youā€™re kind of working blind because the pots donā€™t tell you how the current kit is configured. oh and itā€™s about 20 years old and if anything fails, youā€™re 100% on your own.

1 Like

Just want to point out that i also had minimal trouble with the support not responding to my requests, but i had an answer and an excuse as soon as i sent a second mail.

The alpha base had several OS improvements over this year, and i do not see any major issue with it so far.
It works great for me and sound great, different from others. It is a keeper for me.

Only thing i dislike a bit is the visual feedback of what you are doing with the knobs. I donā€™t think the ergonomics are optimal but itā€™s ok.
Oh and the audio outputs are so hot that it blows my converters!!! Iā€™ll have to buy attenuatorsā€¦

3 Likes

Always loved the Jomox sound, but the testimonials have kept me away with the exception of a Modbase09 eurorack kick module. I got a thing for a certain kick sound and Iā€™d say my Jomox is probably my favorite. Only downside is the module is way too big for no good reason. My Cwejman BLD has been mostly relegated to bass duties (which itā€™s amazing at). My other favorite kick comes from the A4mkii. Seriously underrated drum machine. I hear it does other stuff as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After going through a similar process to others of trying to assess the Alpha Base, i decided to buy it from Thomann to find out for myself.

Sadly, after less than 4 hours of using the machine, going through the manual feature by feature, i gave up on it and decided to refund it.

I wanted a drum machine primarily for performance and was appraising it through that main goal. as in, i want something i can really work on liveā€¦ like a simple TR 909 or equivalent, interface wiseā€¦ but with a broader palette than a traditional drum machine.

i already own the Elektron Analog RYTM and think it is a very good machine but performing live on it feels really limited as there is much menu diving between screens to access certain parameters / mutes / the effects etc. and its easy to loose track of where you are in the UX as often you need to press a button combo or two to get from one menu to another, and, you need to constantly remember which track youā€™ve got selected for live editing the soundā€¦

on the other hand, iā€™ve done performances with that new Berhringer 808 clone, which are far more fun for me and far more of a performance as im able to improvise much more and deliberately. simply due to the far more limited parametersā€¦ but obviously, that behringer box doesnt sound very exciting and gets tired fastā€¦

I was hoping the alpha base would be somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between simplicity and complexity.

sonically, the alpha base sounds quite good but the first major hurdle, and the thing that made me raise eyebrows with concern , was that the Parameter lock feature simply did not work as described in the quick start guide. pressing the required button combo, then pressing and holding a step then tweaking a parameter did nothing to a given step and just changed the whole soundā€¦

this may be a bug, who knows. but to have this experience out of the box was discouraging. i checked the jomox website and the OS of my machine is the current one ā€¦ also, Parameter locks should be a simple thing to do when using the machine. i cant imagine them being simpler than how Elektron implement it and i hoped that the Jomox would be the same. but no.

I also noticed the FLAM feature as described in the same quick start guide also failed. it says double click a step to make it Flamā€¦ double clicking did nothing.

outside of that, i found the interface, particularly the screen, not much help and definitely less informative than the RYTM which i already find borderline frustratingā€¦

Overall i concluded that performing with it would be a potential bummerā€¦ which was a let down as, on paper, its very promising and it sounded big in my studioā€¦

iā€™m sure it could be put to good use by people and as a drum designing tool for studio work, it has potentialā€¦ but itā€™s not a performance instrumentā€¦

1 Like