Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Sorry to hear this. I hope it lifts soon!

1 Like

I would not be opposed to adding a second one to my setup at all. The possibilities…

But probably a Rytm first to give my drums a bit more spice.

I love the flurry of renewed interest, possibly due in part to this thread. I feel like the A4 flies way, way under the radar. I wonder if it’s because of the misperception by many that it’s supposed to be a poly synth. As a four-voice mono-synth, I think if it were released today it would blow people away with its abilities. And it’s been out for what, ten years!? That’s crazy.

I also love this thread because it can renew interest in the A4 for people who already have an A4. Sometimes we need reminded the gear we already have is pretty freakin’ brilliant.

14 Likes

I’d had it in the back of my mind for a couple of years, especially since the mk1 used price plummeted. Actually I went over an old thread on watmm from almost exactly 7 years ago, where I said “I’ll probably end up buying one eventually” lol

This thread did help to push me over the edge though :smiley:

For me, it’s the learning process that the people dislike. If it’s not immediate and easy, 90% of the people will look for an easier alternative.

5 Likes

Another good thread for A4/AK appreciation:

1 Like

i tested one once at a synth product show, they had it on the booth speakers i was having a blast on it, knowing the elektron sequencer and being able to operate that on a synthesizer (only got a rytm) i turned around and people were all watching me… embarrasing

2 Likes

Quick attempt at 909 tom and snare sounds… I’m surprised I managed to get them this close!

11 Likes

Now I want to listen to Portishead.

8 Likes

I love my A4. I like that it has dedicated parameters for bread & butter modulations like pwm and vibrato, unlike most other elektron instruments where you have to “waste” an lfo. I think the performance macro control page is a thing that every Elektron should have.
The only thing that I dont like is the sub oscs. I think the waveforms sound odd and are adding to much character instead of just delivering a little more oompf in the bass department. They are also too loud and dont have a volume control which makes using them even harder.

7 Likes

Was thinking of getting a DN but this thread made me rethink… :confused:

Ppl help me pls

DN or A4?!

Atm hw that i have is:

• OB6 keyboard
  • OT mk2
  • Hydrasynth Desktop
  • Lyra 8

I’m more inclined to do experimental (what ever that means but it usually means no dance music, no techno, no EDM).

Phnx :slight_smile:

100% A4

together with the OT it’s a great combo

3 Likes

You don’t need anything else :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

As already stated, I dont think you need anything else either…by the way, isnt the Lyra8 FM? (same as Digitone, even if Digitone can do also regular subtractive synthesis)

What are you missing from your current instruments, sampler, synth and sequencers?

2 Likes

It’s just like everyone always says: the A4 sound is too thick and bass heavy :upside_down_face:

Seriously, though, you can use the HPF to shape and control the sub to great effect.

And I love it in 5ths mode. I thought it was a gimmick but end up using it a lot.

2 Likes

Are you looking for a different sound or to fill it out? Because the A4 is going to sit pretty comfortably along side the OB6 and hydra. The DN (which deserves its own appreciation thread) will give you those FM timbres to explore and expand your setup.

1 Like

Very subjective. Similar use cases, very different sound
8 voices vs 4 voices
Fm vs analog

1 Like

Both.

9 Likes

I’ve never used the cv with the analog four but I have used it with the hydrasynth and can only imagine how fun cross patching the two would be. My vote is always ‘use what you have, if that doesn’t work then take some of it away for a little while’ but my vote that answers your question is A4

1 Like

Very interesting thread, I have the A4 mk2 since last week and I’m really happy with it. It’s my first hardware synth. I come from classical music so I play acoustic instruments and when I play this synth, I have the same sensations, it’s a real, deep and complex instrument, like a piano or a violin.

I have some Vsts like Diva or Sylenth that are maybe more complex than the A4 but for me, they are less interesting because I cannot “play” them.
Also, it’s a shame we don’t see often the experimental side of the A4, even on Youtube, the sounds you can make with this synth are sometimes unbelievable.
So I make little studies since last week to learn this instrument, and sometimes the sounds are so unexpected and organic, even if I’m a beginner, it’s not so hard to have unexpected sounds.
A little example, it’s the raw sound of the A4 :

8 Likes