Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

I love my A4. I like that it has dedicated parameters for bread & butter modulations like pwm and vibrato, unlike most other elektron instruments where you have to “waste” an lfo. I think the performance macro control page is a thing that every Elektron should have.
The only thing that I dont like is the sub oscs. I think the waveforms sound odd and are adding to much character instead of just delivering a little more oompf in the bass department. They are also too loud and dont have a volume control which makes using them even harder.

7 Likes

Was thinking of getting a DN but this thread made me rethink… :confused:

Ppl help me pls

DN or A4?!

Atm hw that i have is:

• OB6 keyboard
  • OT mk2
  • Hydrasynth Desktop
  • Lyra 8

I’m more inclined to do experimental (what ever that means but it usually means no dance music, no techno, no EDM).

Phnx :slight_smile:

100% A4

together with the OT it’s a great combo

3 Likes

You don’t need anything else :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

As already stated, I dont think you need anything else either…by the way, isnt the Lyra8 FM? (same as Digitone, even if Digitone can do also regular subtractive synthesis)

What are you missing from your current instruments, sampler, synth and sequencers?

2 Likes

It’s just like everyone always says: the A4 sound is too thick and bass heavy :upside_down_face:

Seriously, though, you can use the HPF to shape and control the sub to great effect.

And I love it in 5ths mode. I thought it was a gimmick but end up using it a lot.

2 Likes

Are you looking for a different sound or to fill it out? Because the A4 is going to sit pretty comfortably along side the OB6 and hydra. The DN (which deserves its own appreciation thread) will give you those FM timbres to explore and expand your setup.

1 Like

Very subjective. Similar use cases, very different sound
8 voices vs 4 voices
Fm vs analog

1 Like

Both.

9 Likes

I’ve never used the cv with the analog four but I have used it with the hydrasynth and can only imagine how fun cross patching the two would be. My vote is always ‘use what you have, if that doesn’t work then take some of it away for a little while’ but my vote that answers your question is A4

1 Like

Very interesting thread, I have the A4 mk2 since last week and I’m really happy with it. It’s my first hardware synth. I come from classical music so I play acoustic instruments and when I play this synth, I have the same sensations, it’s a real, deep and complex instrument, like a piano or a violin.

I have some Vsts like Diva or Sylenth that are maybe more complex than the A4 but for me, they are less interesting because I cannot “play” them.
Also, it’s a shame we don’t see often the experimental side of the A4, even on Youtube, the sounds you can make with this synth are sometimes unbelievable.
So I make little studies since last week to learn this instrument, and sometimes the sounds are so unexpected and organic, even if I’m a beginner, it’s not so hard to have unexpected sounds.
A little example, it’s the raw sound of the A4 :

8 Likes

I’m glad to see some appreciation for the Analog Four. I’m really surprised at how little attention it gets, and how few tutorials and videos there are compared to other Elektron machines.

I bought my A4 MkII in December 2021, so I’m still quite new to it. I did a LOT of reading and listening to sound examples before I got one, as it’s expensive, and seems to divide opinion. I was pretty apprehensive about my decision to get one. Since it arrived I’ve been absolutely blown away by the sound. In fact it’s kind of shocking how good it sounds. And it’s somehow both extremely deep and intuitive to use. The designers managed to pack in so many interesting features (eg. you can modulate accent level with the LFOs) without bogging down the interface and making it unusable.

2 Likes

….getting so close to saying f@@@ it and order a new one. There’s going to be none in the sales section that’ll last long lol.

3 Likes

There seems to be a pretty healthy amount changing hands on eBay for frankly ridiculously cheap.

There’s mk2s going for less than £700.

1 Like

The lack of control on the sub osc is my biggest bugbear. It makes them mostly unused for me. If I had a volume control, then I could dial in what I needed. Without volume control, the sound becomes too big, too quickly and leaves nothing left in the bottom end of the sound spectrum.

1 Like

I often find when using SV LP filter that for bass, it can be too powerful, so adding a bit of resonance in the ladder filter with cutoff fully open can clear a bit of the low end.

4 Likes

yes, that’s probably true

yes, Lyra is part FM but that FM a totally diff from DN’s FM imo

re: what i’m missing? not much but i have a MOTU M4 interface with 4 ch inputs and i need at least 6 ch (for OB6, Hydrasynth, OT) so i was planning to buy an 8 ch interface but then i realized that i can use either DN or A4 as a 2ch input interface with OB so i figured i could keep my M4 (for OB6 and Hydrasynth) and just plugged my OT to a DN or A4 which would be connected to my computer with OB and have all of my external gear connected (except Lyra but never mind), plus having a DN or A4 with additional 4 channels that i could record :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Also important is that those LFOs go up to low audio rate. Some have mentioned the A4 sounds to clean, this the fix for too clean. All kinds of raspy, breathy, scratchy, ratchety texture are possible, especially with AM and Sync. The Noise is good too with bit reduction and an envelope.

2. YES.

3. Agree it’s not so powerful for bass, I use the subosc differently. I’ll tune the osc way up high and use the 2 octaves down subosc, then use that as a silent AM modulator. It can get pretty close to FM sounds. It’s also good for organ sounds.

7 Likes

tbh im more prone to DN bc i sold my Mnm, which was the best thing i ever had but someone offered me a lot of money :confused:
i still can find a demo of A4 that sounds new/special to my ears or in any way very extraordinary
… im browsing the net the whole day

1 Like