Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Hello! :slightly_smiling_face:
Good to read you’re up for some extended A4 solo fun! You might already know, but I‘ve been doing this more or less since I bought my mk2. Almost 1.5 years and nowhere near the end!

4 Likes

I think this is a great idea. The Analog Four needs a bit more attention, because it’s so deep! But also the fact that it has 10 encoders can trip you up. All the other Elektrons have eight, or in the case of the OT, six. This makes me fumble sometimes when editing sounds, even after a couple of years experience with the A4.

5 Likes

Your exploration has been very inspiring too and made me think I should try to do something similar.

2 Likes

Lovely to hear. Thanks for the kind words. :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration!! :slight_smile:

It’s weird how yesterday things just kinda clicked in my mind about the A4.
Of course it’s been obvious that it’s an extremely deep instrument but I haven’t really understood its potential as a stand-alone device like this before.

4 Likes

Maybe you are referring to this thread?

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/1-1-2-years-alone-with-an-analogkeys/

Definitely worth checking out the jams by @psychetropic !

Has great tunes on bandcamp as well!

4 Likes

Thanks! This is the one yes.

Such a cool approach with undoubtedly countless long term benefits with creativity and focus.

Alrighty then :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Recommended, or too early to tell?

Way too early to tell but it was like few euros and it’s over 300 pages and by the looks of it, it’s very well laid out and put together.

Let’s say I feel tempted to recommend it already. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only thing stopping me from impulse buying their OT and A4 notebooks is that I may just download and forget them. :joy:

On the other hand, I’m one of the few people that really likes Elektron’s manuals. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I bought this two years ago and printed it today. Sometimes it takes a little time.

3 Likes

I have been sort of accidentally using almost only the Syntakt recently. It just does most of what I need and I already know it very well. I think there is a very real benefit to sticking with one device for a long time and really exploring it.

2 Likes

I haven’t really experienced that with any of the Elektron gear so far to be honest but I totally believe you.

At this point it’s a complete mystery to me what has kept me chasing for that feeling of freshness in terms of the playing experience and options etc.

All I really want is to have a deep and immediate connection to a device that inspires me.

Something that is closer to playing the guitar or drums.
Slowly but surely increasing control instead of confusion hehehe.

1 Like

If there’s one thing I’d love on all the Elektron boxes for stuff like this it is to be able to have different tempos on each track (by which I mean a few bpm difference, not the multipliers in the Scale pages).

I could do it when I had the Hapax (briefly) and got some interesting Steve Reich style compositions.

4 Likes

I have read half of it now during a 10 hour workday.

Not knowing how much of the essential but not obvious stuff others might be overlooking/forgetting to use, it’s hard to tell how helpful this would be but already my understanding of the A4 has broadened a lot.

I seem to have a tendency of focusing on the more easily grasped fun stuff like sound design while almost completely neglecting functionality that takes some effort to learn, stuff that makes these devices special.

Totally worth the price and worth recommending.

6 Likes

Yes, nice idea, never thought about it in Elektron sequencer…
But now, you said that, why not program one bar on a track and same on another one and copy this on another pattern with a 8th note offset on one of the two track, not the two, just by fct+>. Then continue on different patterns untill reach first pattern. Then play each pattern 8 time before going to second
:thinking:
Steeve Reich propose, in claping music, a phase with 8th note. So it’s totaly doable on Elektron.
I will try toonight.

2 Likes

I’ve tried similar but the sequence resets to alignment too quickly, IME.

On the Hapax, I liked adjusting different polychronic sequences until they “sounded good” too, which wasn’t necessarily using eighth notes.

1 Like

Of course, your’re right about the fact that 8th notes is abit brutal and too short.

Elektron sequencer are not made for that.

Hapax can, Cirklon too. The last have a specific “Reich” mode on Ck patterns that can deliver a precision phase of 1/12 of step, wich let you feel slowly the delay of one pattern against the other.

1 Like

…which is a shame. Especially with melodic patterns, polychronicity can sound so interesting.