Isla S2400

SOON MY PRECIOUS SOON.

12 Likes

Why did he have to make that vid. That sounds close to my real 1200. DJs need to records. Hoarders need two SP’s

6 Likes

Whoa this thing is sweeeeeet!!

If you are in EU and this guy is in NA, it will cost a lot to send back the unit.

Checked. About £40.

1 Like

So he changed a some stuff before going into production, things that don’t match the video posted recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFm86Y4PP3s

A few minor things: cheaper knobs, graphic changes, different pads, red display, micro SD card, grey finish, micro knobs for volume/gain, red record button… Things that are not that big of a deal, but originally it was shown with 4 phono inputs + 2 1/4" inputs, and now there are just 2 1/4" ins and no phono/rca at all?! That was a big selling point, and now it’s gone… and NO, using some convertor or different cable is not an acceptable alternative. Turntables use RCA connectors. Also it’s not a true stereo out machine. They wen’t back to the mono model?

The other thing that bugs me is that the first 4 top buttons, the words are perfectly centered like they should be, and on the next 5, they are slightly to the right, like theres an extra space before the first letter… They should have had a graphic designer look over things to catch these details.

All in all it’s still a nice machine, but it doesn’t have all the features promised. If I had pre-ordered I would be super irritated that i did’t get what I ordered… oh well, still a cool machine. At least the release price has been adjusted to reflect the changes. It’s currently under $1000 which seems okay, but if they do raise it to $1400, they are crazy.

2 Likes

Theres a lot of famous producers(checkout the site) who have preordered that are beta testers. Nobody has complained about the issues you have mentioned. Nada, nothing. And they have been sampling for many years and have had many hits. And if anything as hes says in his podcasts he has gone overboard in hardware only sourcing the best materials. Certainly he has not cheaped out.

Im not an audiophile but RCA is better? Dont most turntables have both or just USB for sampling these days. And it is fully stereo out or so i thought. But correct me if i am wrong. I can ask him if it isn’t. The sd card has been tested up to 250gb? Im not sure what you are saying here. The lettering i cant see what your saying.

Actually I haven’t really paid much attention to the SP2400, but that video really sparked my interest in it^^

Pretty awesome, that you have the numpad, increment/decrement and the encoder to input values.
I really like when machines give you more than one way of doing things…

No I have professional turntables that don’t have gimmicks like that… :sunglasses:

Just because some famous people don’t complain about the units they are testing,
doesn’t mean issues don’t exist. Maybe they didn’t ever know about the initial specs…
Who knows? I just wish he was releasing it in the form that he showed in videos.

*The April video still shows the features I mentioned…

Now I guess an alternate thought is that maybe the pics on the website are not of the final production unit, and it will be updated to reflect the specs. If anyone actually has one, or gets one please let me know…

3 Likes

Most people won’t see it, but I’m a graphic designer with typographic OCD, so I can’t un-see it. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think the lofi function is a marketing hack
this particular definition of sound is simply a work of retrig, it is the result of a research on a practical means to sample.

sp legen
the idea is interesting and promising, if the aluminum housing, is able to deal with updates,
which completely change the tool
created in previous years

today, it would be great to see, an arpegiator working with this type of architecture.
the software race is far ahead of this artistic creation.

But why sample from an expensive professional turntable anyway. Your going to damage the needle? Just use a cheap one. it will still do the job.

No. I think the point is it originally had a built-in phono preamp suitable for the signal coming from a record player. Without that you need a separate mixer or preamp to apply the correct equalisation.

i think in one of his earlier podcasts his decision to omit this and why.

Surely most people with a decent turntable already have either a mixer or amp with line outputs, no? So just hook up to those instead.

1 Like

exactly

Not to mention you can get a phono pre-amp for as little as about £20 in the unlikely event you don’t have one (but how are you listening to records then?)

1 Like

And it’s quicker to download a high quality rip and dump to sd card than actually Get out the record and set things up.

As with all gear.
Read up on what it does and buy it
Or
Buy the old one , if the omissions on the new one are so important then stump up the cash to get the original
Or
Make your own
Or
Don’t buy it and move on.
Or
Wait for someone else to make a perfect clone

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not saying it’s a problem (I was never going to buy one anyway) just explaining the difference between having it built-in and not.

The other change I’ve just noticed is it seems to have been renamed to S2400 rather than SP2400.

He changed it as the original name was too close to the SP1200. Just a marketing move to avoid confusion.

1 Like