Isla S2400

Yes, fur sure! Of course it’s a completely different user experience to have a dedicated hardware device with specific connections and tactile assets.

it’s not just the interface, it’s those lower bit rate sampling chips run through analog VCA’s. especially when you use short samples at a higher speed (so you can maximize memory usage), then down-sample them and it starts to get really gritty. that’s the SP1200 sound.

if you just want to do that digitally, get an Octatrack. or even a RYTM mk2 (at least running samples through a VCA then).

Thanks for the info. I don’t want an original SP1200 sound myself. I am just curious what the machine and software creators/marketers come up with.

I love my Octatrack! My first hardware sampler since a friend gave me his Akai S900 in the early 90s because he went into the box. He asked it back later… :wink:

1 Like

SP2400 caught my eye, sound really good and I like the faders. Will watch what happens with it.

I think it’s clear the SP2400 is a labor of love type project. The developer makes that clear if I am not mistaken.
Is a computer more powerful? sure. Is “hardware” better? who knows. I don’t think that is focus of the 2400. could be wrong, but thats what I gather from the company.
All I know is I have one on pre-order! Looks stupid fun to me. And if it aint then Reverb will get it.

3 Likes

Does the Isla have anything to do with the original, like are they using real filters, did they reverse engineer the whatever whatever, or is this just a thing that looks like the original and functions kind of like it but isn’t related to the sound engine of the original?

1 Like

Not sure,
The site does not address that exact question but I have not followed the story in detail other than what is currently posted on his site and Youtube. For me it was a matter of getting somewhat obsessed with drum machines and not wanting to go the route of high dollar vintage stuff. For the price I feel like it’s a worthwhile gamble for a cool piece made by a guy who is obviously way more obsessed / knowledgeable than me…

there is to be afaik a multi track internal analog filter card in the ISLA

Works and tested with a 512GB SD card. Wowser!

1 Like

You got one mate?

Im due one in a few weeks. But Brad has assured us it indeed works flawlessly.

6 Likes

Would love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it

Thanks. I will let the community know my initial thoughts as soon as i get it.

6 Likes

If it works flawlessly AND has a good midi implementation I could sell some gear off for this one! Let’s see what happens when it’s in the wild. The looper function got me even more excited and will keep my money in my pockets for now.

Thanks for the heads up @sabana :thup:

2 Likes

Just pre-ordered :grinning:

2 Likes

I will wait to see what ppl think of it but it’s for sure a very interesting machine.

2 Likes

Future machines for retro music.

** waits for the “nobody says you need to make retro music on it” and “nobody says you need to buy it yourself” arguments **

1 Like

The prices are going up to $1400 after release were told. Thats a big hike. Hes a genuine guy and never goes back on his word.

1 Like

Yes, that is a big hike. I would preorder if I still had a fix job. But working for a boss again is not something I want to return to for more than a few months. :tongue:

But I do need the feedback of the product in the wild, I prefer to wait and pay more (or less) for something I want than paying up front and have no clue. Maybe in a year it’s down to 800 because of competition/economics/bugs/… we never know.

I am pretty sure the guy is top and is going to deliver though (saw the replay of the live stream: https://youtu.be/4hMCJOT8pXM ). :thup:

1 Like

Im as cautious as it gets. And stingy with my money. But for some reason i bought into the passion behind the project. Hope you get round soon to buying one :slight_smile:

2 Likes