Is there a way to use your DAW or Overbridge to chain patterns on the Digitakt?

Sorry if this has already been talked about(couldn’t find it) but I was wondering if I can use Ableton to basically make my own song mode?

2 Likes

Also interested in this, too. Perhaps Logic or even Mainstage?

You can record or transfer the samples to Ableton then use the Drum Rack and internal MIDI tools to create your song OR you can wait Digitakt mk2, possibly it will be released in the next few years.

Also check out,

Yes, but.

You can have Ableton send Program Change MIDI messages to the DT, which will trigger pattern changes, but the results are not smooth or predictable. Sometimes trigs get dropped, sometimes the pattern changes late. I’ve given up trying to emulate a song mode for DT using a DAW. Instead, I now use overbridge to resample the DT’s tracks into Ableton, and then go from there.

3 Likes

Yes. Send program change messages to the Digitakt and it will switch to the next pattern when the current one has played to the end.

To avoid the midi message arriving to late send it at least 1/16 before the current pattern end.

Works like a boss in Cubase.

Digitakt has Sequential pattern change mode so there’s no way go get it to switch for example instantly like on the Analog Rytm and Analog Four.

Not sure what the problem is with Ableton, might be something with “clips” sending midi program change messages when they get active or something like that.

Song mode in a DAW is best done in linear time mode if you ask me.

6 Likes

this. Ableton’s session mode is too chaotic for DT to keep up. a linear DAW is much better for crafting ‘songs’ with DT.

2 Likes

That’s great! I’ll try to figure this out in ableton and if I can’t get it to work I’ll track it in another DAW and then import. Thanks!

When using DAW such as Logic to send pgm change commands, do you use the DAW as timing master using MIDI beat clock?

any idea how to do this with logic x ?

I’m not sure if this applies to all DAWs, but once I learned I could just send notes to the DT VST on CH16 to change patterns - it’s the only way I do it now.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

What DAW are you using> I can’t figure this out, Im on Logic. I’m creating a midi file on the main plug in track and adding a program change. Works with other devices, not this.

It looks like all you need to do is place actual notes into that MIDI track, like in the piano roll. So if you place a C0 note on the piano roll, it’ll tell the Digitakt to play pattern A01 after the current pattern ends. If you sync your time up, you could just place the first note at C0 and then one note on bar 5 and one note on bar 9 etc…

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone is still following this. I have been looking for this for the past 24 hours and I finally found it in the new overbridge manual page 30/44. I tried it and it worked straight away. If you set your pattern change to direct jump on the Analog Four (or other Elektron device) it will follow whatever quantisation you set on your DAW. Please note that even though my Auto channel on the ANalog Four is set to 9, it only worked when I set the midi channel send in ableton to channel 16 just like the manual said. Good luck.
“You can send MIDI notes to the plugin on MIDI channel 16 to request pattern changes on the Elektron device.
Like SONG POSITION sync, this works in a best effort manner. The sequencer will change to the new
pattern after the current pattern has played through to the end.
MIDI note 0 = Pattern 1
MIDI note 1 = Pattern 2
MIDI note 2 = Pattern 3

MIDI note 15 = Pattern 16”

3 Likes

That’s it! :ok_hand:

This is great! I just made a new MIDI track that I’ll keep in my user library. It’s set to track 16, and the output is set to be the MID track that contains the Digitakt Overbridge plugin.

I have pre-set a midi note in each pattern to trigger patterns A01, A02 etc. On the Digitakt, these are C-2, C#-2, and so on. patterns are set to NOT loop. Clips are named for the pattern they will trigger.

If this proves useful, I will perhaps make more of these, with separate tracks for bank B and so on.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 13.33.19

Just found this thread and waiting for my new Digitakt to come in the mail. I was wondering if the setup you have works well with timing? I’ve seen in prior posts of the DT switching patterns late.

Yes! Elektron Pattern Clips! Now with Arrangement Mode!

1 Like

Thanks chaps, need to adapt this for my DAW - Renoise.

On the basis that manually changing patterns on my Digitone allows the current pattern to play out, will sending the MIDI CC message before the current pattern ends (i.e. 1/2 bar) allow the current pattern to end and then start the new one, or does the message need to be sent closer to when I want the pattern to change?

Thanks