Is there a synth cooler than the digitone

Get an octatrack :cowboy_hat_face: dream combo in my experience.

Or get into grid/max/norns!

I have found that pizza pairs exceptionally well with the DN. There are many toppings/modulation combos I could go into, but I won’t.

10 Likes

Rev2 and Hydra for my Digitone, and RD-8 for drums.

1 Like

I have both a Digitone and a Hydrasynth and, in my opinion, they compliment each other really well. The methods I use for sound design are so completely and utterly different between the two. The Digitone is an FM synth with a bitchin’ sequencer, whereas the Hydra is sort of a jack-of-all-trades wavetable synth with the the funnest user interface on the planet. I start patches from scratch all the time on the Hydra, whereas with the Digi I often start with a previously created template or patch and tweak from there.

Also, don’t let anyone tell you the Hydra sounds thin. Once you learn how to use it, it’s THICK. I have it on a two-tier rack above an OB-6 and it holds its own.

6 Likes

That’s cool, I would love to hear some thick and warm Hydra patches.

Oh yes!
Like I said, there are so many options to twist the sound.

Check our dear @lingouf’s album made only with A4 four tracks and lot of work :tongue:

Oh, and FX have their own track to plock the hell out of them. You can definitely go into weird territories, no doubt :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been posted to the Hydrasynth thread, but it’s a great example of thick sound more on the traditional end of the spectrum. I have the collection and reverse engineering the patches were really eye-opening for how to make it sound great.

1 Like

Can you show a track of yours? So maybe some of us get an idea which other ingredient would fit the curry.

:joy:

preenfm3 is pretty impressive…

1 Like

Get a sequential OB-6 or prophet 6, 5, 10. Trust me you’ll never regret it.

1 Like

But if you haven’t tired of the Digitone yet, why are we having this conversation?

6 Likes

The Hydra is about as thick and warm as it gets, even when using completely digital waveforms. It’s really strange that almost NO demos online seem to be able to convey that. It also seems to turn people off before they even give it a chance, which is really sad. I’ve said it before, but I have analogs that aren’t as warm and big sounding as the Hydra. People really need to give it a proper try on good monitors or headphones before dismissing it. The demos online don’t really do it justice.

Also, back on topic, the Hydra is a synth that’s as cool as the Digitone (though I agree that the DN is amazing). Any Sequential Prophet (or the Evolver for that matter) fall into this “cool” territory as well IMO.

Also, Buchla, Serge, or Wiard modulars. :wink:

1 Like

I have owned A4, digitone and am currently a hydra owner… in many ways A4 is alot deeper then DN.

For instance you can modulate the fx on A4, which you cant on DN. You can route other synths into A4s oscillator and use it ad an fx box… A4 has 4 LFO and 4 envelope destinations to modulate, DN has two LFOs and two Envelopes.

I think both Digitone and A4 are two fantastic synths. For me I don’t like using synths in the Elektron workflow, I am pretty novice as a sound designer so switching between menus makes me lose sight of the bigger picture I’m trying to create.
And it felt quiet overwhelming to have two Elektron sequencers in my workflow almost made music feel like a chore, so I’m sticking with Octatrack (which I love to death)

Digitone is a superb, almost genius like synth design, crippled by being stuck in a format which makes it almost unusable, if only they had created a proper 49/61 note format synth with proper controls liek AT or MPE etc. It deserves so much better

1 Like

Hydra is awesome but there have been no updates from ASM since launch. It needs a Poly unison mode (with note stealing), panning on MOD1/2 inputs so they can be used as stereo inputs, a simple wave folder mutator and a Wavetable import feature. It’s a cracker of a synth tho, highly editable yet immediate and easy to navigate.

Bit hyperbolic.
I can use mine just fine.

There have been two pretty major updates since launch that I know of, and I don’t even own one.

6 Likes

They’ve released 2 updates since launch, one of them including some pretty significant features…

http://www.mecldata.com/download/asm/Hydrasynth_v1.5_Addendum.pdf

3 Likes

My bad

Me too, I know it well. but it’s not going to wash with the general synth user base tbh