Is the Model Samples worth it if you have a Digitakt?

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I’m loving my blackbox and iPad combo
For my mobile bag, and leave the Digitakt at home, but I’m
Thinking of replacing my blackbox with the modeL
Samples. For the knobs man

My line of thinking is that having the MS in my bag all The time will help me in mastering the Digitakt as well. Are the devices close enough that I’m
Just shooting myself in the foot by having both??

Its your money dude, spend it however you want.

Personally I wouldnt bother with the samples, because it cant sample… digitakt can…and trumps the samples everywhere else too.

Mastering the digitakt is simply a matter of hours spent using it. After 10,000 hours ,you should be pretty solid, apparently.

But thats just me, I sold my digitakt anyway. So am I worth listening to? Probably not.

4 Likes

Word yeah I’m just looking for something just a bit more
Mobile and mostly transfer samples anyways. Thanks for the input chief

yes, but you cant resample… and that is the game changer right there.
I think the MS is cool, but coming from DT? ive never felt compelled to go that route.
The instrument that you currently have is vastly more capable than the MS.

1 Like

Oof yeah that’s rough, but I’ll be keeping my DT as a home piece and learning it as I can. I might have to just order one and try it

2 Likes

They are different enough, but similar as well.
Do it, dont do it… its up to you.
but keep that DT and get to work learning it. Its bonkers.

Worth it, IMO.

love the samples, don’t think there is anything portable that can touch it, that is as portable… can also be used in conjunction with the dt when you want, and the momentary muting is great for realtime breakdowns of drums and percussion… as well as recording them, love to make break downs and fills on the ms…

it’s the only beat machine that I would have that doesn’t directly sample and that I like so much that transferring samples doesn’t piss me off…

lastly I’m currently trying to talk myself out of trying to trade my model cycles for another MS because I do like the cycles a lot but it’s hard to resist…the thought of two model samples, one for drums and percussion, odd vocal bits and the other for melodic plucks, samples, single cycle wavs etc… I think I could get more flavor outta of another MS than I do with the model cycles.

6 Likes

Nice, I would love having those extra tracks of elektron sequencing with my DT. The mass of knobs looks hella fun tbh

I don’t know. I own a Digitakt and I like to think that I know my way around it. I just sold my Model: Samples because I wasn’t really using it anymore. But I did like it a lot.

Having a couple of extra tracks to mess around with when you’re using the Digitakt and having a piece of gear to keep with you seems like a pretty good use case for a Model: Samples.

All that said, I’d bet that as you get to know and love your Digitakt you’ll probably find the feature set of your Blackbox overlaps pretty well with the limitations of the Digitakt. But I’ve never used one so maybe they’re not fun. I don’t know.

I guess doing nothing is the easiest thing. And your set up sounds pretty great to me. So I’d probably stick with it I were you. But I’m not you.

3 Likes

Doing nothing certainly is the easiest thing!

the one thing I wish even more so than for slicing on the model samples is that you could get down to any sample resolution…

Ah, crap - I had briefly entertained the idea of selling the M:S and M:C in favour of a DT but now you’ve put the idea of 2x M:S in my head…

1 Like

…cycles would make the better match…and a trru expansion to ur sonic pallet…

2 Likes

Theres a food chain going on here. Is the Digitakt worth it if you have an Octatrack.

1 Like

I guess the MS is not a bad idea for having a DT light when you are on the road.
Using it at home while the DT is next on the table does not make that much sense imho.
So if mobility is your top priority it might be worth it.
How it compares to Blackbox I do not know however.

Has this just become another thread about Octatrack sound quality?

3 Likes

That kind of division of duties is a good reason for having any pair of ‘models’ … M:S x 2, M:C x 2 or M:S + M:C

1 Like

Playing with MS is not going to you master the DT in any way. Playing with the DT will help you with that. Imo Blackbox for Loops/Stems and DT for oneshots is already the perfect duo!
So IMO: don’t buy it.

Dt is one of my ‘I’ll never make the mistake of losing you again’ pieces but I love the model samples workflow too, for me they are definitely worth having both, also they each make me better on the other

3 Likes