Is the Model:Samples the thing I need?

So I’m back in love with my AR mk2. We have a love/hate relationship but it’s currently at the heart of my set-up, triggering my Nord Drum 3P as well as it’s own drums sounds on the leftover tracks. My A4 chimes in with various sounds and it’s the most fun I’ve had with my hardware in quite some time.

My problem is thus: while I often like the sound of samples played through the AR, for some things it just doesn’t work. I spent hours crafting some really rich string parts last night, only to play them through the AR, which made them sound like them were being played on a phone inside a pint glass. So for string and piano samples (where I want them to sound clean) I need a separate digital sampler that will sit alongside the rest of my gear, simply for triggering digital samples that I’ve made myself and transferred across.

I’m not particularly bothered about FX or sound manipulation tools, but a sequencer is a must (for obvious reasons). It needs to be able to play multiple samples at once, in stereo. Aside from that, I don’t think I’m after anything else in particular.

I deem the Octatrack and Digitakt to be overkill for my needs, but keep landing back at the Model:Samples.

Can anyone with experience of the machine provide any thoughts?

What do you mean by multiple samples at once in stereo? Model samples analog rytm and digitakt all play mono samples but they have panning and you can use 2 tracks to make a stereo sample. Octatrack does stereo but is also probably overkill from the sound of things. I assume you are also keeping your analog rytm? I would possibly consider stepping outside of the elektron ecosystem on this one… maybe the dirtywave M8 would fit the bill for you.

Make sure that the filter, drive, fx send, etc., is off for that track.

1 Like

Hmmm interesting. If the model samples uses the same format as the AR then it’s maybe not the answer.

I’ve tried everything on the AR to make the samples sound better, including triggering from mulitple pads and panning R&L, but it still sounds far too muffled and analog for certain things. I’m not complaining; it’s those same analog filters that make 95% of what I’m making sound wonderful, but for strings and (some) keys it’s just not the sound I’m looking for.

I’ll check out the dirty wave M8. Thanks for the tip!

And yes, I’m keeping the AR for now. It annoys the hell out of me sometimes but I really couldn’t do without it in my current set up.

Yeah, no dice there. Mono only. 1010 Blackbox?

The Model:Samples is mono.

Well that’s pissed all over my chips hasn’t it.

3 Likes

Rich strings sounds like a stereo thing. Converted to mono, I can see that not being so rich.

Octatrack is stereo. M:S is not - as others have said

My guess is the model samples would still sound cleaner than the AR given it doesn’t go through analog circuits but yeah if you’re after stereo… I have always found the 2 track stereo to be not worth the effort.

Yea I assumed this would be the case, but there’s only really one way to know and it involves me buying the thing! I’ll do some more research and see where it lands me.

Thanks for the input everyone; very helpful as usual.

1 Like

I think the Model:Samples is a great device, so I say give it a go. It is a very fun machine.

I should preface this stating that I don’t own a Model:Samples, but have done a bit of research on them. While Model:Samples tracks are mono, you can pan them. This consumes two channels for stereo playback, and would require a bit more prep with your files, but could be a viable solution.

Another option could be something like the SP-404SX. You could use a track on the AR to send midi out to trigger samples on the 404. It has stereo samples, lots of fx to play with, and also resampling. The SP-404MKII is on the way, so you could wait for one of those, or maybe get a deal on a used SP-404SX, because some people may be selling them to upgrade to the new one.

1 Like

Could look at the MC-101?

Probably overkill but a used SP 16? Multiple stereo samples, sequencer and one of the best sounding things out there. There are some bargains out there used as well, albeit few and far between.

Just a stupid thought regarding the sound issue you describe: have you checked whether there is a mono summing problem (phase cancellation) with your sample?

Edit: there are also some feeds in the AR section that discuss sample sound issues (due to lack of sample headroom etc.)

I’ve tried pretty much everything (I think) to get them sounding how I want, but I came across another thread last night with discussed master compression and distortion, which I don’t think I’ve tried. So I’ll give that a whirl.

For full disclosure I’ve also ordered the model:samples on the basis that it can always go back if it doesn’t fit the bill. I’ll report back on my findings!

I think for proper sample playback you need an MPC. It’s just the perfect hardware sampler, has been since the 80s. Which one you get depends on you but the Live is a lovely box that does everything, or the One if you don’t fancy an internal battery and want something smaller.

For stereo sample playback the 1010 Blackbox seems a winner to me.

But I’ve only briefly played with one, using it as a loop recorder. Maybe people here can chime in about its sequencer? How flexible is its sequencer? And how much finesse do you need from the sequencer OP?

You mention your strings sound super thin through the AR, right? This sounds like a phase issue. Depending on the patch, a lot of quasi-stereo signals especially in old samplers and synths would use phase shifting to fake a stereo sound. These tend to phase-cancel the left and right channel when summed to mono again, destroying bass and body and leaving your sample sounding thin and strange.

1 Like