Is the Analog Four Mk I worth it today?

Hi y’all!

A little background: I bought the Digitakt a couple of months ago, and was massively impressed. I love it! It’s been a pleasure working with it, and it made me think that maybe I should also get an Elektron synth too, to get that nice Elektron workflow for more than just samples.

So the choice would be between the Digitone and the Analog Four. The A4 MkII is too expensive for me at the moment, and I’m not a huge fan of the FM sound, so a used A4 MkI seems like good option.

Is this a stupid idea? Will I regret not getting the MkII? (Even though I can’t afford it.) What are the differences? Is far as I can tell, it’s just a new box with nicer buttons for the exact same thing, along with a better overdrive module? Does the MkI feel old-fashioned? Or are they basically interchangeable?

I’m looking for opinions both from people who made the switch to the MkII, and from people who came to the conclusion that upgrading wasn’t worth it.

Digitone owners are welcome to share their opinions too if they think it can actually sound as good as the A4, and that I’m wrong about it. :slight_smile:

Thanks, you lovely people!

I love the A4 mk1. At current prices it is great value but do check the functions and limitations first before buying. For example no individual outs, no midi external sequencing.

4 Likes

I love the look and updated features of the MKII’s but it’s not enough for me to make the switch.
I definitely dont feel like my A4 MKI is old fashioned, I love it more every time I use it.
The Digitone and A4 are going to sound quite different.

6 Likes

The MKII’s dont sequence via midi either.
Yet both sequence CV

2 Likes

I’m ok with no individual outs, and don’t need more midi sequencing, so that’s not a problem for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sweet! The smaller display works fine for you?

If space is an issue, the MK1 is an obvious choice.

Definitely, and over time and lots of use I dont even need the screen that much.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s an issue, but fitting basically the same thing in a smaller box is never bad. :slight_smile:

Really? That sounds promising! And what about all the extra keys on the MkII. There’s no problem accessing those functions on the MkI?

Not really comparing with Mk2, just highlighting it is worth checking the functions first just to help avoid buyers remorse.

I just got my A42 in. (Couldn’t be more pleased.)

While I’ve no had prior experience with the A41, I have been using an AR1 for the past year, and I personally wouldn’t consider it a top determining factor. I also love the footprint of the black boxes.

Honestly, the feature that got me to invest the extra cash was definitely the CV inputs. While I don’t have any external modular gear atm, I am enjoying the additional overhead in terms of modulation. For me, the value of this addition can’t be overstated.

When the MKII videos started coming out, I can definitely see the UI improvements, and they look great, it has plussed the synth. However, I definitely dont feel like I am missing out in that department.
If the A4 sounded dramatically more powerful in the oscillator & filter section, it would call to me more.
The MKI is an amazing synth.

4 Likes

I don’t think that there was too many people who bought it and said: ‘Oh my god what have I done!’ :smiley: I have an AK and I can’t get enough of it even after a year… it still surprises me almost every day. It’s a no brainer if you ask me… haven’t tried the digitone yet though. Also it comes with working OB :smiley:

4 Likes

Good to hear that the MkI screen should work fine. :slight_smile:

Not sure I follow, do you like put a CV out into the CV in of the same box?

Awesome. Yeah, there are plenty of nice sounding synths out there, but not many with the Elektron sequencer.

Oh lord yes. The A4 MKI is a beautiful and wonderful machine.

2 Likes

Wait what?! OB actually works with the MkI? I didn’t know that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly — each CV input can modulate 5 different params (destinations can be any param on any of the 6 tracks) to varying depths, so you can basically consider the CV track a “CTR-10” track with the addition of inputs.

2 Likes

That’s a interesting feature! Although I suppose I can live without it if I get an MkI.