Is the Analog Four Mk I worth it today?

yepp. it works.

Wow, that’s a nice plus for the MkI side. :slight_smile:

Happy with my A4, still a lot more things to explore

1 Like

Definitely!!! one of the more flexible Elektron machines I think.
You can play chords, melodies, drums, process external gear, etc.
It is more mid-ranged than the mk2, but if it isn’t a problem for you to EQ it in your mixer or daw (crank up highs and lows) you are done in that department.

1 Like

Love the A4. So flexible. Can do almost everything. Also love the form factor of the mk1. Display is small but not a problem

3 Likes

I have both (A4 and DN). Very different sound. I prefer the DN because broader range of sounds (can do FM and not so basic substractive stuff) IMO and more treble overall. Yet, the A4 is very good on its own. Great for analog-style sounds obviously but also very capable at drums. I do like the big display of the DN but I can’t say the A4 mk1 display is an issue either, just make sure you’re well in front of the machine. Both will bring you hours of fun. Also, the A4 has been battle tested by now. Although I have no problem with my DN so far, you may wish to wait a few months before buying one.

3 Likes

Considering just how absurdly cheaper the mk I is right now, there should be no regrets - you can almost buy DN and A4 mk I for the price of the mk II!

I am still very happy with my mk I. The smaller size of the box is a big deal to me. And I don’t really hear a huge difference in sound on the mk II videos tbh. Now that CV in mod stuff sounds sweet, but for double the price, it’s still a hard sell for me personally.

Now then, DN vs A4? That’s a very hard question… both are wonderful synths and cover more ground than typical 4/8 voice poly analog or FM synths. Right now I’m in the honeymoon phase with my DN, but also love my A4. I’d say the A4 does better drums and leads IMO, but for melodic/harmonic stuff, I feel like the DN gives more mileage (8voice instead of 4, and FM can add a lot of harmonics).

it’s great, and feels futuristic. it is the same synth as mk2, i like form faktor and look of mk1 more. i dont like polished sound of mk2, mk1 has better sound to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It really is futuristic. I love digital elektrons but this analog/digital hybrids introduced a kind of elasticity that wasn’t present in the digital machines

1 Like

Yes isn’t it :slight_smile: and the design of this black boxes is gorgeous! it has this cyberpunk vibe to it. And the sound is topnotch! it has this dark character but at the same time is hi fi sounding machine. Its sound really is something spacial… And the fx engine is great. I never normally use chorus effect, except on my a4, it is great sounding machine.

I think sometimes if you try to make things better, like elektron did with mk2, you give up this little imperfections witch make the thing characterful.

Same thing with making music, if you polish to much, you lose the vibe and the initial raw energy. It is always better if you try to push things to push it in the wrong direction or not at all haha

The A4 MK1 is amazing and for that price it’s a no brainer, great value for money.

I was also considering the MK1 but I knew that if I went with it I would probably regret is sooner or later and I would lust over the MK2. I bought the MK2 and couldn’t be happier, the screen is a huge improvement and the buttons, as you know from the DT are very satisfying. The rest are also nice improvements.

Another thing that helped with my decision was that I got it for a good price. Juno has them for 1165 euros which is a steal. Cheaper than anywhere I’ve seen.

Whichever you get you will definitely love it, its an amazing machine.

1 Like

for me A4 is already a classic synth like Tb303 or SH101.
Yeah it lacks some soundquality, but that it´s character. basicly you can do everything with the A4 (chords, pads, Bass, Noises, Drums, FX) but A4 it´s maybe not the best sound choise for every task.
Just wondering for what you would need the cv ins on the A4MK2 … if you have 2 lfos with 2 unipolar destinations each and 4 Env and parameterlocking.

3 Likes

There is a mod for individual outputs.
I don’t like new Mkii size.

1 Like

The A4 Mk1 is Elektron 2.0

This is when they got the formula right imho

A great synth is timeless as it’s a synth
The A4 has a huge feature set, but the key to the whole experience is the sequencer/soundlocks/paramlocks

Where it isn’t as admired is the ability to dial up simpler classic waveforms with that special something - there seems to be something about the filter design on the lowpass which tilts the character a certain way - I think it’s tilting it in interesting ways and I love the way the filter pair work and especially at high resonance - it has character and it goes ‘modular’ quite well - doing bass isn’t the issue

Power up a bass synth on the AR Mk1 e.g. and you can hear a different quality for those simpler ‘pure/open’ sounds - it is mighty, the filters aren’t the same - but I think they addressed the ability of the A4 Mk2 to lean that way when they redesigned the LPF - I don’t doubt it sounds better (in certain sounds) for delivering those ‘classic’ shapes but the Mk1 sounded amazing before that dropped

Lots of threads on the A4 sound (mk1) but it’s the perfect package imho -despite having assorted simpler analogs it’d be my goto for almost every occasion - mk2 looks (and no doubt sounds through design improvements) great, but it’s too bulky and the premium in the marketplace is significant - either make much more sense if you want to hook up to cv

8 Likes

I was the same. Got the Digitakt 1st and was sucked in!!! A week or so later I had the AK, followed quickly by an A4mk1.
I did have a mk2 on order, but cancelled that after reading too many issues with the new products :frowning: and some good feedback on this forum.

Anyway, I paid $1,100 less for a new A4mk1 compared to the mk2.
But I’m still getting the same sequencing capabilities and (I suppose) sound.
Paying an extra $1,100 wouldn’t have made any major difference at all, since I don’t need the extra audio outs.
So if you have the money for an A4 mk2, you definitely have enough for the mk1 and Digitone :grinning:

1 Like

it’s just a great package. Highly flexible, the dual filter combo is extremely versatile and with p-locks, all the lfo’s, envelopes and modulation destinations it’s modulation heaven. There are also many features that have a designated lfo or envelope keeping your main modulation sources free for other stuff.
There are many synths called semimodular with far fewer options.
And the prices now are more than incredible

2 Likes

The sequencer is its redeeming factor, IMO… For big, fat analogue polyphonic sounds you’ll get better elsewhere (at a price).

3 Likes

The MK1 looks way better than the MK2 next to a Digitakt.

I’m saving up for a DN to add to my Digitakt and A4. I don’t think I’ll need any more gear.

2 Likes

That’s so true. My MK2 is looking a bit awkward next to my DT and it’s also ruining my all-black setup :frowning:

It looks gorgeous in person though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

quite a nice problem to have :wink:

the Dark Trinity is something special though and I don’t think I’d get along with all the blinking lights

4 Likes