Is the A4 MK1 dead now?

I don’t read anything about any development or updates, is there is a final OS update in the pipeline, or is development now abandoned?

3 Likes

I’m making a guess that MkI and MkII will be sharing OS in a similar fashion that the OT is supposed to be doing.

1 Like

If it is not updated, it is still alive (and rocking)

5 Likes

Yes! The A4/AK MkI is a very well working instrument. I think.

It’s dead. RIP.

1 Like

For sure it keeps working the same as it always has been doing, but it still is missing some features like proper patch/bank message support for selecting patches directly from DAW rather than working with kits and loads of other smart feature requests which would improve the unit further.

Hi everybody. Send me your dead A4s, I’ll make a decent shop…oups cemetery I mean. :innocent:

16 Likes

it’s not missing that … you’re just not yet accepting that it’s structured in its own way … the totality of the Elektron eco-system is structured in a particular way (program change messages change patterns), it really won’t change so it makes no sense to think of it as a missing feature (in the way that say key tracking as a modulation source is arguably missed )

I doubt that very much, whilst it may already be feature rich and off the shelves, I do not expect to hear Elektron declare that it will only provide bug fixes going forward (a given) … they have a new device with patch compatibility (if not identical sound wise wrt filter drive extremes) so there is a potential incentive to pursue development on the A4 sound architecture and there’s no reason to presume they’ll not play it the same way as per the OT … enhancements trickle backwards … all the MK2s are good news for MK1 owners imho

2 Likes

I agree there could be some OB tweaks, but these will probably happen to paid MKII land rather than the OG models. All in all I’m happy with the machine I bought and what it offers. It doesn’t feel buggy at all and definitely feels ‘complete’ as far as its featureset is concerned. Of course there could always be more. As much as I’ve considered selling both the A4 and Rytm, mainly for coin, I don’t think I ever will. They’re excellent instruments. If anything I’ll add to them when the time is right.

Honestly, if that DT was stereo… damn.

oh boy - that is not how it will work - paying for OB means paying for access to the same features that are implicitly available to og users … you pay for the dongle to the same software
:thup:

1 Like

My A4 is pretty dead to me. x_x Useless presets, menu diving, thin sounds… I don’t really know what to use it for anymore!

Not for presets, that’s for sure!

Have you tried using it as a drum machine instead if a synth?

It really does shine, if you give it enough time. However if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is that what you really think? I think vanilla OB is now dead in the water (apart from OS upgrades maybe if we’re lucky), and all dev will focus on the MKII boxes going forward. They did mention a transfer app for Rytm but that has yet to materialize. Of course I want then to keep developing the free version, whether they do or not remains to be seen.

nothing is certain, and obviously the newer devices are more suitable for newer strategies to handle the data i/o … the constraints on bandwidth may also mean constraints in approach paths to make it all hang together, but in every other regard, and presuming the OB tech is the same, that’s how i’d read it … plus :3lektron: won’t be able to forget prior pledges made to og owners, it just may involve patience … hopefully all will become clear soon

1 Like
2 Likes

Ill try to use it as another drum machine, although I have the RYTM to do the drum stuff.

I keep trying and trying to find the sounds I really like, i’ll try to give it another chance. Was thinking about starting a small modular synth. Should I keep the A4 if I go modular?

yes.
but if you want something with presets, modular is not the right choice either

7 Likes

Approaching it in a different way, may enable you to see the potential of the machine.

Also, sound designing in overbridge is a great way of getting deeper into it, as it’s all there on the big screen. I did this myself and found I was more creative with my designing, and when I went back to the box itself, I found I carried this over.

Have you tried putting other synths into it, to use the fx? Another way if using it, that isn’t the ‘standard’ way.

1 Like

A4 is a better sounding drum machine than Rytm sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like