Is M:S abandonware?

But they didn`t resolve vanishing letterings problem. And Power Handle BP-1 is not yet in stores.

Ah, so you’re trolling.

Thanks, bye.

3 Likes

I think it’s a misconception that software updates to hardware products are gifts for existing users. They aren’t. They are there to improve the value proposition and sell more boxes to new users without the cost of developing new hardware.

M:S and M:C won’t get as many updates as the more expensive boxes because of their market position. They are cheap entry level boxes and will continue selling to people in the £200 market without additional features, so there’s no need to add any. In fact developing the entry level boxes too far would nullify the upgrade path and may risk cannibalising sales of the more expensive boxes.

It’s always best to buy based on current feature set and not expect updates.

6 Likes

This seems to be a controversial topic…

I do not have a M:S but I did purchase a M:C about a month ago.

I think the instrument is really beautifully made with attention to details… It does not feel cheap or faulty to me. I would say quite the opposite, the build seems sturdy, the little screen shows cute but thoughful animations when you turn the encoders for various parameters and the layout is very well-made giving you direct view of what is controlling the tracks, the sequencer, and the whole mix.

Compared to the Volca that I have, it looks way better, and is much more fun to play with as a standalone device.

From what I gathered online, the M:S is based on the same hardware and interface as the M:C. I can see why people may feel like there are limitations. But it is important to seperate the limitations put in place by design and the ones that feel “arbitrary”.

The models both offer very direct controls of parameters, with most of the track parameters being tied to one knob per parameter. This limits the amount of parameters and features to add to the instrument…

I can only think of two “arbitrary” limitations:

-The portability only officially supported with the Power Handle which was recalled. It feels bad because the instrument is marketed as a portable “out of the studio” groovebox. I asked the support about using a 3rd party battery and they recommended me to use only the official Elektron Power for the M:C.

-The T1-T6 pads which are very stiff and hard to control with unfixed velocity. This is a big one because Elektron went out of their way to add Velocity Modulation, and I think the Models are the only Elektron products with velocity sensitive pads, so it is a bit of a shame that they are impossible to play. I also asked the support about it and they said they planned on adding a personal Sensitivity setting in a future firmware update.

For fun, I explored the menus of my M:C a bit and there is space to add an extra line of parameter in Track menu, LFO setup menu, and Retrig menu. Maybe they plan to add some things there?

7 Likes

End of thread, people. Elektron does plan some firmware updates. It’s just that the Models are not a high priority compared to the other boxes (probably)

7 Likes

Three sensible, reasoned, balanced, posts from @MurkyFreddery, @chuchu and @craig sum things up nicely.

Maybe anyone still dissatisfied should go over here ?

5 Likes

worth saying that every single manafacturer says “only use our official power supply” because otherwise they are reponsible for absolutely any crazy reverse polarity/power starving/steam engine attachement someone thinks is a good idea, but that probably doesn’t mean that it runs on special magical unicorn electricity that can’t be replaced…

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

You are right. I was just pointing out the fact that currently Elektron is not providing any official support for the portability of the instrument, even if it is still marketed as such. For myself, I had no idea that the power handle was cancelled when I bought the product.

1 Like

yeah, this does seem more than a little frustrating.

such a shame the power handle met it’s demise. it would have been great.

2 Likes

Dont say such things.
Otherwise you will be called troll here.

This thread

NEEDS

MORE

OUTRAGE

!!!

4 Likes

Just power it with a powerbank!

1 Like

I’m very mad

1 Like

The battery port works perfectly.

1 Like

People just want to gripe, they don’t want their problems to go away, hence trolling.

I reckon they made the pads so hard to account for all the rage drumming from disgruntled owners.

11 Likes

"Unfortunately, we had to recall the BP-1 power handle. Under certain circumstances, the Power Handle BP-1 can cause a short circuit, potentially posing a burn and/or fire hazard to consumers. You can read more about it here: https://bp1-support.elektron.se/ and here: https://www.elektron.se/se/bp1-recall

I can’t recommend powering it with anything else except the original power supply. PSU-4/b.

Best regards,
Christian"

I trust the official Elektron support on that one. It does probably work fine, but I am not sure the insurance of the product will be valid if I use a 3rd party power battery and a 3rd party cable.

If the battery port was defective the entire product would be recalled for safety reasons. There is no wiggle room there, synth manufacturers do not provide warrantied recommendations for any and every alternate power source.

One accessory was not financially viable to redesign. That’s the extent of it.

There have been no customer complaints from using it so portably in the history of the product (beyond specific cables failing and the initial accessory being recalled ), there is no need to invent new complaints that have not been reported, seen in the design, or that the manufacturer is concerned with.

There’s more than enough disappointment out there in the world, I’m very happy to bring my M:C with me around the world, taking it to the park and sequencing in the sun with ducks milling around me.

Opinions and experience are one thing, if you’re disappointed that’s fine!

Saying that the device “can’t be portable” is contrary to the basic lives experience that most heavy users have. I cant think of a better device for a portable gig! I’d be afraid of my Pocket Operators getting smashed, I suppose i could check out a M8 but…

Again, disappointment is not something i’m here to argue with, and i have a few gripes that i would like to see resolved and will be emailing about one now that i’m reminded.

But speaking overbroadly and making declarative statements about how everyone sees this as a un-useable failure, how nobody can use it portably, how it’s a stain on Elektron’s record, how the “build quality” is poor because a button panel on launch needed to be replaced, that’s unnecessary drama.

4 Likes

It is nice of you to share your experience of portable M:C.
I, for myself, will stick to the official answer and not try my luck with 3rd party solutions. But it is nice to know it can work with “DIY” battery+cable combo.

(I do not believe customers would be in their right to complain about using it portably with a 3rd party battery if Elektron stated that only the Power Handle was officially supported with the instrument anyways.)

1 Like