Is it worth pairing an Octatrack with an SP303 (purely for its fx)

Hey elektronauts,

I’ve been considering getting an sp303 or maybe even a 404 to use with the ot’s cue outs as an effect unit. I already currently have a strymon big sky and deco, and I was originally on the market for a decent delay and an autowah pedal. The question is, is it worth spending the extra for one of these units or should I just get separate delay and autowah pedals? How do their other fx stand up to the octatracks internal ones? I hear they’re got allot of character?

1 Like

Definitely. The 303 is super simple to use & will compliment your other gear well - the OT + Strymon stuff has all the high-end/staple/utility fx covered…303’s are substantially more whack sounding. Resampling + lower sample rate + weird time stretching is where it gets really gritty (and diverges from the 404). Downside is you can’t stack the fx…and the fkn smartmedia cards.

omg. p.i.t.F.a.

As said, considering you can’t stack, seems you’ll have to get one anyway.

Well, the OTs are certainly more “accurate” (some might say “sterile”) in sacrifice of “character”. If you’re already asking, you know the 303 is the diametric opposite in this respect to the OT in being more characterful as opposed to accurate. One could make a good case for using some of the OTs FX to get a 303 sound…but it aint a 303.

I think type of lofi is very personal for each person (their particular nostalgia, imo). The vintage sampler lofi is mine and the 303 is charming (and portable) for this.

EDIT: I have the deco, too. You might find some overlap if you’re just using the SP for fx imo.

I bought a cheap Sp505 for my 4 years old child.
Really don’t like it for me and Ot, and there’s no midi control for fx.
I much prefer Strymon and Eventide stomp boxes, which have real midi implementation, in order to midi plock fx.

1 Like

I’ve used the 404sx extensively and I love its FX to death, they’re all usable and tweakable and great. Resampling is good fun, too. This main piano sample/track from my band was done entirely on a 404.

That all being said, you can not stack FX on a 404 and I assume 303 is the same way. Buying one purely as an FX unit? I think you’re better off getting a dedicated FX unit. Buying one for its FX that you can resample and layer more FX and make gorgeous sounds? Yeah totally.