Is it worth getting A4 Mk1 for 60% of Mk2?

There’s opportunity to get A4 Mk1 at 60% of Mk2 and I was wondering if it’s worth it? I saw the topics where it’s said that apparently Mk2 sounds “much” better (deeper, with more “bite”), but if I have nothing else to compare it with - that’d be my 1st hardware synth - does it really sound thin and weak? The big plus of Mk1 for me is the much smaller form factor, functioning Overbridge and I understand that firmware updates really improved everything in it, starting from polyphony (note “stealing”) to sequencer. And I actually like its look a bit more.

On the other hand, I plan to get Digitone and Digitakt down the road and Mk2 obviously is more on par with those, when it comes to screen, new encoders, even buttons are the same style as Digi-s. And I like things consistent :smiley:

So, what’d you do? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can tel you what I DID, which is I got the Mk1 and never looked back :slight_smile:

16 Likes

For the price of a mkII you could get two mkI…How would that sound thin ? :slight_smile:

Tbh honest I find the analog 4 to be a very mature and interesting synth I traded mine for an analog keys, so basically the same synth. That is one of the synth I do not see myself selling ever…I find it inspiring, fast to work with and lot’s of people have proven that you can make it sound as huge, deep and bassy as you want if you take time to learn the machine. lot’s of libraries have been posted along this forums…

You are on a budget and you look for a great synth in a small form factor go for the a4 if you have a great opportunity ! If you are always gassing about new gear when they come out, even buying an MKII won’t remove that thirst ! :slight_smile:

Of course all this post is IMHO.

4 Likes

Getting the mki’s are a complete no brainer for me considering the extreme difference in price compared to the relatively minimal difference in features. The original A4 is fantastic, and the new one might have a few perks, but overall just isn’t worth it over the original one, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve owned all the A4/Ks. Now own the A4. I just didn’t click with the mk2 at all.

I got my MK1 for £500 with lid and electron bag so a no brainer for me. If they added polychaining I’d absolutely but another. Such fun and the FX section is wonderful.

6 Likes

Thanks guys, you’re all very helpful! <3

I love the mk2, clicked better with it than with the mk1… The UI feels more efficient to me, and I like the distorsions better.
Mk1 is way more compact though, I like the form factor.

Anyway you can’t go wrong with either, and 550€ for and A4 mk1 is just insane a price.

4 Likes

I haven’t actually played a mk2, so I can’t really compare directly, but for the price I paid for my used mk1 it’s is a bargain. It’s a nice compact form factor too, without being so small it is hard to use.

2 Likes

One more Q if I may: do I get this right that if I’d upgrade the firmware on A4 Mk1 to 1.35B then the Overbridge won’t work? Why is that?! That’s weird…

Just don’t upgrade the firmware until the new overbridge is released.

5 Likes

Thanks! Was it confirmed anywhere that Overbridge 2.x will also support “older” devices? Can’t find any official information about this :frowning:

Yes overbridge 2 will work on the Mk 1s, I think with fewer streaming audio channels due to USB bandwidth limitations of the MK 1s but I don’t see that as an issue with the A4 (unlike the AR).

3 Likes

Yeah, wouldn’t have a problem with that either. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Oh hell yes. The A4 MKI looks so much nicer and at that price, it’s a no brainer. The MKII doesn’t seem to have enough going for it to warrant such an upgrade, and if you want the individual outs, the mod to the MKI isn’t actually all that hard (there’s a thread about it somewhere here on the forums). I feel like buying Elektron instruments new at full price is a bit silly, kind of like buying a new car.

5 Likes

I have mk1 and friend mk2 there is no big difference in sound but for mixing mk1 is better and build quality is better on mk1, I have 3 y old unit and don’t have no problems but he has some colour going off and buttons are Shiite. Mk2 just have busted bass like in analog keys you can do it whit eq

1 Like

What do you mean ? Seperate out is something very interesting for mixing obviously, I would tend to say mk2 is better for mixing…
I prefer the feel of mk2 buttons as well, and the fact that they are lit. But this is a bit subjective.

Best price I found for used mk2 is 850€.
If I had to get an A4 toda, knowing both and having the extra money, I would decide that the advantages of A4 mk2 are worth the extra 300€.

4 Likes

also damn cheap

6 Likes

Yes. I figured it was good to compare both used prices to have a clean comparison.
850€ for a mk2 is quite a bargain indeed :slight_smile:

Well, got to get back to my A4 ! :tongue:

4 Likes

Yes. Once you play an A4 and just play it a little everyday you’ll learn that you can make musical leads and basses with ease. I treat mine like a 4 voice monosynth and build one track at a time.

2 Likes

For me, I found my Mk1 sits in a mix a little easier than the Mk2. I’m writing that fully aware that I’m incredibly lazy and can’t be arsed with much EQ’ing when mucking about jamming. The slightly pronounced lower end on the Mk2 muddied things up a little too me but that’s likely just to do with how shit I am with leveling and things OTB.

3 Likes