Is it possible to automate the transpose function on the A4?

Hey If a pattern has been created on the A4 and you set Function + Transpose, you can transpose the entire track using the A4’s keyboard. But if you want to have several patterns with different transpositions, that doesn’t work. I create the arrangemnts with OT and I ask myself how to automate it, so that the transposing changes pattern by pattern without having to import it manually. Unfortunately I can’t find anything about it anywhere.

You can apply the different transpositions to each pattern using Transpose+Yes. The patterns will be repitched and the transpose setting reverts to 0.

1 Like

hey, thanks for your feedback! i guess that’s not what i meant I would like to transpose each individual pattern differently and it should not be reset.

I’m just wondering if this transposition accesses the oscillators, then maybe I could do it with them …!?

Transpose+Yes is a ‘hard transpose’ - it commits the transposed notes to their new values (you’ll see the notes change in the notes page) and the ‘soft transpose’ value is reset. So you can just copy the pattern and ‘hard transpose’ each one.

3 Likes

so that doesn’t work for me. as soon as I change the pattern again, the value jumps back. it doesn’t save. I think about the osc s you can do that …

If you use Song Mode you can transpose each pattern entry. After adding a pattern in the Song Mode editor you can highlight it and transpose it using the TRNS button and the keyboard like you would manually. It’ll display something like “T 7” for the highlighted pattern to the right showing you how much it is transposed up/down.

Optionally, when playing a song you can “still” transpose manually too. It”ll transpose relative to the transpose setting for the pattern currently playing.

4 Likes

The transpose offset can be applied permanently as well. After performing a transpose, press [TRANSPOSE] + [YES/SAVE]. The value of the transposed note trigs will be permanently altered.

2 Likes

thanks! can you tell me whether you can just do that with the osc s, or is that a different transpose? :crazy_face:

YES! that works - thank you !!

1 Like

Another destructive way.

DESTRUCTIVE TRANSPOSE Tracks can be transposed destructively, altering the note values of the note trigs permanently. Do so by pressing [TRACK] + [UP]/[DOWN]. The value of the note trigs will be changed up or down in the selected amount of semitones. The tracks do not have to be transpose activated for this to work.

1 Like

You could always pitch the oscillators differently a few different ways though that is probably a lot harder to do than transposing normally.

2 Likes

Incidentally, how nice it is to keep making new discoveries with the A4, even though you’ve had it for so long. I don’t understand how such a device is always being sold cheaper on ebay.

2 Likes

And use different kits.
4 methods !

“Transpose” search in pdf manual helps.:wink:

In song mode it’s not destructive, I’d use that method.

Transpose a pattern by highlighting it with the song cursor and pressing [TRANSPOSE] + the [KEYBOARD] keys. A song transpose works like a track transpose, albeit automated

1 Like

Exactly my thought, I want to get a second one for extra tracks to use for drums and other sounds, gotta keep it quiet before other people notice

2 Likes

that’s exactly what I was thinking about getting a second …

Cool and is it possible to automate the transpose function on the A4 via midi squencer?

It is possible through multi mapping, I think, I have achieved it by sending midi notes from a digitakt (and from ableton) to my A4 through the perf channel, but a lot of time has passed since that and I don’t remember exactly what I did to achieve it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ok, so I found the configuration I used, it is the first one in this post,

1 Like

thanks a lot!

1 Like