Is an OT mk1 with a broken display worth getting?

I could buy an OT1 with a broken display. Is this a good idea? The unit turns on but is sold as defective.

I know that there are fitting replacement displays out there, but a repair is still risky. What if the MCU/processor is damaged? Would Elektron replace that? I asked the wonderful support people, but they have a high workload right now and it is understandably not clear if/when they are going to reply.

The previous owner tried to repair it, but failed and I don’t know if they damaged something on the board by using to much heat or working too close to another component.

While I tend to just hope for the best I am wondering if it is worth it. Used but working OT1s are selling for around 650€ in my area, while this is less than the original price, it is still a lot of money.

I wouldn’t do it, lots of possibilities there…,

1 Like

My concern would be this: If it got bopped hard enough to break the display, what else got damaged during the incident. That and the previous failed repair attempt sounds like this offer is a loser deal. Save yourself the headache and potential total loss of money and get a functioning used OT

6 Likes

If you have to ask, the answer is “no”.

My rule for buying broken gear is to never spend more than I wouldn’t mind flushing down the toilet. If I can’t repair it, I won’t be happy but also won’t miss rent.

Most of the time I’ve been lucky and the problems were more minor than expected. But sometimes a small problem hides a bigger problem.

6 Likes

you could still try to load the Demo-Project to test it.
I´m sure Elektronauts can help tell you the button combinations.

1 Like

Depends how much it costs. For 200 euros, sure. For more than 300 euros, probably not.

3 Likes

It is always worth it to pay a little extra for a trustworthy deal. If you have the time to deal with repairs and it’s cheap enough (i.e. basically free) then have at it.

EDIT: I’m gonna add that IMO it’s slightly weird to be looking for a deal on an OT. This is a serious instrument that demands commitment. I wouldn’t even recommend it to anyone just “trying it out” because most likely they’d find it too unfriendly.

6 Likes

Paradoxically, when I’m flush with cash I’m more likely to buy broken gear - unless my schedule is tight. But if I need to pinch pennies, I prefer to pay a bit more from a known good seller or even buy new. It really sucks to be out of cash and have equipment that needs more work than you can afford to do/pay for.

What’s the price they are selling it for? If it’s the 650€ id say hell no but I’m thinking it’s considerably cheaper?

Either way, used + botched repair doesn’t seem worth it to me.

3 Likes

Or do what I do and get the financing deals. 12 months. 24 months, can’t beat it…

1 Like

It’s the failed repair that’d put me off immediately.

3 Likes

i can’t remember the exact wording, but there’s a saying like “the sting of compromise is remembered long after the sweetnesss of a a bargain is forgotten” that applies here.

2 Likes

I’d be interested for cheap as a second OT !

Run demo mode to check if OT is usable…

The OT is so intuitive that you don’t really need a display.

19 Likes

So then you have no idea if you’d be buying a brick, and nobody here can help you. We don’t know either.

I didn’t even realize the OT had a display for the first few weeks! Turned out I was using it upside down, but I hot-wired a PO-33 screen in there instead because I find that much more intuitive than the default.

5 Likes

Apparently Benjamin Franklin said “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” but it sounds like marketing bullshit to me!

I wouldn’t buy a broken Octatrack though. If you really want it, buy one that works.

1 Like

I’d buy it only if it’s cheap, and only if you’re looking more for a project and less for a working octatrack.

I guess my upper limit would be 250€ but that isn’t money I would want to lose either.

Yes, I asked specificly if Elektron could replace the MCU/processor, because if that is damaged that would be the worst case scenario … but I’ll ask if they can load the demo and take a picture of the pcb.