Is an OT mk1 with a broken display worth getting?

Yes … I know … I felt much more resentment for bad deals where I felt hustled/ripped off than joy about the good ones where I saved some money … however a calculated risk feels different.

Well basicly it is potentially saving a couple hundred euros vs. losing a couple of hundred euros. I don’t know if I would be happy selling a broken OT without telling someone that the MCU is bricked and only telling them about the display. Seems really shitty.

+1 for No. Wait for next opp.

Your current level of expertise +

I would say no, absolutely not. You don’t know how they may have delaminated the board, let them deal with their own failure :wink:

Yeah, you can definitely get closer to whatever you’d be charged without legitimate risk of needing to replace the main board alongside the cost and trouble of replacing it when you are not as experienced.

Not a dig, I have done this from time to time! I can build things from board + BOM but repairs can be another skillset entirely.

Buying an Alesis 3630, “fidelity” capacitor upgrades and then lifting pads when trying to remove the original parts :frowning:

1 Like

I gave OT lessons/advices to a blind guy, used to MPCs, on the phone. He was counting number of button presses. His wife was helping him. No news. He probably gave up…

6 Likes

I have a PO33 with a broken screen. I can use it. Main problem is to set a precise tempo.

1 Like

if its broken and theyre trying to get rid of it as is then its fucked. if it was a cheap or easy fix theyd do it, common sense really but easy to ignore when you can smell a deal. unless its literally your mate id just buy a working unit

2 Likes

How much do they want for it? I would only do it if you are a competent repairer or have a good friend who can help you with it at minimal cost.

2 Likes

For something like a model samples. “Display? What display?”

For something as menu divy as the Octatrack, absolutely not. Anything that you can’t take out and enjoy the moment you get it would be a convenience and celebration that wouldn’t be worth it unless the price was a REAL bargain

3 Likes

This one ?

Octasmacked!

3 Likes

Is this a joke?

That one sold for (more than?) 175 pounds which is totally crazy

No

2 Likes

The funny thing is that the owner kicked it with his foot. (Footprints on OT).

1 Like

For the first few weeks of my Octatrack usage I didn’t realize it came in the box, so I was just playing the box for the first few tracks. Then one of my friends saw what I was doing and informed me that the real octatrack was inside.

Of course, I just thought he meant that in a zen kinda way. So I was like, “you’re right” and kept on playing the box for another couple of months.

It wasn’t until I was playing my first octatrack only set when he got frustrated, stormed up on stage and removed the octatrack from its box.

I was like “wtf? What do all these buttons do?!”

People aren’t kidding when they say the Octatrack has a steep learning curve!

14 Likes

Dude you were using the Octatrack in the box? Does that even count as DAWless???

5 Likes

Somehow there’s a way to continue joking about how my computer is still in its box, but I can’t figure out how to thread that needle.

1 Like

Whoever coined that must not have been getting the good deals.

Ah I was asking because others said that they had to do a lot of menu diving when working with the OT.

Did I get that right? You wired a PO display to an OT? Do you have pictures of this?!? This sounds interesting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as i know PO displays are not generic and are made by TE specificly for the type of pocket operator that they are built into. I have a PO33 with a broken screen as well and you can’t replace that yourself because you won’t get a spare screen in the first place.

Just wanted to say … currently it seems like I am not going to buy the thing and there are other interested buyers anyways. If I’ll buy it I’ll keep you updated and also will post before/after repair picks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you all for your nice answers :slight_smile:

1 Like