Iphone for filming youtube videos?

Yeh I plan on using it with logitech webcams at some point

I can confirm that iPhones do this too. When I did my recent tour of the Modor NF-1m, I used the iPhone’s microphone to record my voice (worked well enough) so my voice was in sync with my actions; and I recorded the synth into a simple audio program on my Mac. I was able to get their starting point sync’d, but the synth’s audio slowly lost some of its synchronization throughout the video.

It wasn’t enough to ruin what I was trying to show in that particular one. I just had to shoot it that way as I wanted to get it done and I still didn’t have a working mic solution at the time.

I’m going to check out that recommended ‘Filmic’ app.

But I just wanted to confirm that the dynamic frame rate exists in default iPhone setup too, making it harder to sync external audio files.

It was your comments, Gir, on another thread that prompted me to watch out for this!

thanks for sharing these videos

1 Like

Makes a difference for photography, not really for your type of video usage.

1 Like

Anything from the SE up should be perfectly fine. However, the XR is crazy good value IMHO if you want better video quality and if you’re serious about running music apps on it. See https://daringfireball.net/2018/10/the_iphone_xr

Bit of an investment still, but will last for years (assuming you manage to not lose it… ;))

1 Like

If you don’t already own a class-compliant audio interface that works with Apple’s Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, then I can recommend Behringer’s UCA202 as a cheap but perfectly fine way to get line-level audio in.

1 Like

@t Thanks for all your insights and suggestions mate :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

I have problems with Iphone video vs. recorded audio running out of sync in imovie. I read, that’s because iphones film with variable framerate and that you have to convert it to constant framerate… I tried a free program called handbrake , that some people suggested to convert it, but it couldn’t get it to be synced completely.
It was an 8 minute video, about 5-6 minutes into the video, you could recognize that they went out of sync.

Anybody knows any other workarounds? do you experience similar issues? It seems to be a common problem, but some people get it to work with this handbrake program (or similar software)

Use another camera app that allows filming at constant bitrate. For example Filmic Pro.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Will the following work for filming YouTube videos?

Mixer plugged directly into iPhone 7 via camera adapter (mixer has class compliant USB). iPhone running Flimic Pro.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Thanks for your help.

the + versions have optical zoom, something that might come handy if you need it

Why not use a VIDEO CAMERA?

iPhones, PAH!

Actually much better to use a Cheap SH SLR, not many do ‘External’ audio tho’…

Str.

yes. i use my class compliant behringer usb interface and filmic pro uses it as the input for the video sound…

i used it for this video for example:

edit: I do not know, how filmic pro handles usb audio interfaces with multiple channels…

Yes, that should work.

1 Like

…even my old ipad3 still does a good job in filming…

maybe, because one dont want to spend money and already has an iphone. :wink:

with the right app, like filmic pro, the phone is perfectly fine for such tasks… you can even do light editing and upload it dirctly from the phone. no need to complicate things with extra gear in my opinion…

4 Likes

word

1 Like

Thanks folks! I thought that would work, but wasn’t 100% sure. Thanks again.

I’m a regular participant on jam track playalong threads on another forum. More than half the participants just use an iPhone to make videos of themselves playing along to the backing track. Only one stated that he bothers to record the video with iPhone while simultaneously recording his guitar into Garageband, then later edit in iMovie or something to sync up audio and video. The rest just play the jam track on a computer and record video with room audio (computer speaker and guitar amp). I’m thinking of switching from submitting Soundcloud tracks to submitting Youtube vids asI’m running out of SC space.

I know I don’t really need to buy more stuff, but I’m thinking of getting a Roland Go Mixer Pro record video and audio simultaneously, with monitoring of pre-existing backing tracks. It’ll also give me more audio inputs than my current iOS audio interface (Duo Capture EX) for recording electronic jams and stuff.

I also want to get a wireless drive like RAVPower, Kingston Mobilitie, SanDisk, etc. to more easily move files off of iPhone and back them up as video does take up a lot of space.