Iphone for filming youtube videos?

Hi people,

I lost my Samsung S6 today.
I’m thinking about which phone to get and since I’m filming quite a lot of youtube videos a good camera would be quite handy. My old videos are not really looking good especially when I film in the evening.
So I’m considering an Iphone cause I saw a lot of people using it for that. Also for directly recording the audio…
It would also be cool, that I could use it for music making. I have an Ipad and I’m a fan of some music apps.

Since new iphones look crazy expensive, I wanted to ask you if there are some older versions that already have a sufficient video/camera quality for youtube purpose (and are suited music apps). Any suggestions appreciated, I never owned an Iphone. Thanks

1 Like

Perfectly fine shooting with iPhone for YouTube, hell full length films have been shot on them! I’ve got the new XS Max but had the 7 plus and that was bang on. Think even the 6s shoots in 4K.
Pair it with the Filmic Pro app and a sturdy tripod with one of these https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-tripod-mount/
And you’re good to go :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. So an Iphone 7 could also be fine?
Are there problems with older Iphones, that you can’t run newer apps? Or can they all be updated?

I would say that you’d up your image quality more by spending a couple of bucks on lights (LED) rather than the most advanced camera/phone model.

8 Likes

Good point. My lighting is a problem for sure

1 Like

I use an Iphone 8plus for recording, qualitys fine, you just need to be careful about positioning and knocking it. its crap for audio though! so maybe look at other options for that. Lighting is the tricky thing. I’m fortunate in that I have a load of spotlights in the shed so have that covered. And then use video editing software to add filters for more atmospheric lighting. Don’t use the phone to record audio!!! :smile:

1 Like

Well - you can use the phone to record audio, but not through the mic. There are several audio interfaces (of varying expense) that lets you line your audio. Then you’re golden! Video and audio synced!

6 Likes

Or better yet just hook it up to a class compliant audio interface and record your master outputs directly at the same time. The internet will thank you for it!

Edit: @CarlMikaelBjork got in there before me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

that would be a refief. I always record audio to ableton and then combine video and audio in Imovie. The syncing can be trouble

I never do that. I meant the option with interfaces for the phone. Sorry, I was not clear about that.
I hate all the youtube jams with phone audio actually? What’s the point of presenting expensive hardware instruments with phone audio. Terrible habit

2 Likes

I did these a while back. They are touching on your subject.

11 Likes

Ah sorry my misunderstanding also then, yeah videos like that are really annoying especially when the cameras shaky also. It’s fairly easy to sync the audio in software if you match it to the the audio waves on the phone recording by zooming in. Ideal if you don’t want any further expense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I remember those. Will watch them again. Very helpful

1 Like

in case you’re still wondering about this, i use my iPhone SE to film all of my performances, and take the master output to the input of my Zoom H1n, which can act as an audio interface for iOS devices (with the camera connection kit). it works very well & the H1n is only around $100, so perfect if you’re on a budget.

as for video quality, the SE is pretty good, not the best, but it’s perfectly acceptable & is also the cheapest iPhone you’ll be able to find new on the market. definitely something worth considering :3.

5 Likes

I usually sync it to the sound in the video of the elektron playback button, when I hit :slight_smile: And watch the light appear on the first step of the sequencer

1 Like

That’s cheap indeed.
I’m not really on a budget. I’m just wondering if I can save some money if I buy an older model, that has still sufficient quality. It doesn’t have to be the latest stuff. The new models are quite an investment :slight_smile:

oh, well then yeah, you still definitely could. though if you have a bit more to spend, maybe do go for something like the iPhone 7. not nearly as ridiculously priced as the newer models, but still offers great video quality & would support the same kind of interface setup, if you did want to take that approach. :^)

1 Like

7 would be fine and yeah they can all update, got a good few years at the very least.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.
I guess I’ll check iphone 7 and maybe 8 then.
And thanks for the video improvement suggestions.

1 Like

I would wait a week for the Xr. All the features you want and way cheaper than the flagship models.