iPad Music Apps?

I introduced the Zoia to the band, and now they want me to do some patch edits for certain songs. So my comment is more about how I allocate my music time - I try to keep up my practice of the guitar and violin, learning to use the Zoia, learning to use iOS apps, etc. but some days I just can’t do it all.

But to try not to irritate anybody by veering too off topic, I will state that I do want to look into ways to manage Zoia performances from iOS for my own music projects - more from the perspective of sequencing and generative MIDI.

1 Like

Can someone recommend an alternative to modstep? All the thing does is crash and the dev is long gone. Looking to sequence synths both inside and outside of the iPad. Modstep just crashes incessantly and I can’t get anything done. Right now I’m just using modstep’s piano roll but want something that can handle complex arrangements.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: NVMD, Bought Xequence 2. Precisely what i’m looking for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok I must be an idiot.

How do you route Rozeta out externally? I can get the AUM keyboard routed fine but I can’t figure out how to get Rozeta out through the MIDI matrix. Thanks team.

Make sure the receiving app is listening to the same MIDI channel that the Rozeta app is sending on. Then make sure the Rozeta app is routed to the app in AUM’s MIDI Routing screen, which is accessed by tapping the S-shaped icon on the right side of AUM.

Just tried with Phasemaker running standalone, and Rozeta Particles. Couldn’t get Rozeta Bassline or Cells to work with anything, btw.

Thanks but I meant externally as in external hardware…

This was working fine before the last update; when the introduced the nodes.

I think you have to start transport to get Bassline working…probably Cells too.

I tried starting the transport in AUM but no luck. I’ll have to watch a video by Sound Testroom, Jacob Haq, etc. to see what I’m missing w/ Rozeta Cells.

Just received my Meeblip cubit go USB MIDI interface. Will test with a couple of Korg Volcas.

1 Like

Whelp turns out I am an idiot: had to scroll through the top row of options in the MIDI routing section. :man_facepalming: (Im on my new SE).

I have Bassline working. I tried it on other apps too. Did you turn on some notes?

1 Like

Can’t be worse than me - MIDI config on IOS always makes my IQ feel reduced by double digits.

I only had to watch the first 5 min. of Doug’s Cells tutorial to learn that I’m supposed to record notes/chords into the cells. Now works fine with Model 15 running outside of AUM.

This weekend will be fun, trying out the cubit go with the Volcas and maybe the Zoia too.

1 Like

Id like to see a master of the pad use a midi generator for each volca drum kit and record that in Xequence 2.

http://mifki.com/blog/mirack-1-0-is-available-on-the-app-store/

Nuts.

5 Likes

Someone please report back on this! I’m stuck at work, then with a sick toddler and teething infant! Halp! Give me something to look forward to! :smile:

looking for some tips on an ios only workflow. from what I’m gathering people are using AUM to mix all the different apps together into a single …? then recording that into Cubasis?

ive been pretty happy with the various music apps I use on ios (mirack is great btw) so I’m interested in exploring finishing things up all on the ipad, however not grasping how it all fits in together (if it does). figured Id ask here since nauts are generally helpful and knowledgable.

I think you can’t route the audio from mirack yet. Only out via the audio out

thats fine, my question was more in general, so without mirack, what is the base set of apps that are required to have a workflow that can move from start to finish and intermojonate audio from apps together

I multitrack record in aum too
Dump everything to Dropbox
Edit / download to various elektron boxes.

Though I mostly make loops / stems on iOS , I haven’t done any proper structural stuff

1 Like

You can record each track seperately in AUM then finish wherever. I still prefer a desktop for that mix/polish stage.

I have a ton of music apps installed and I’ll argue that staying inside Nanostudio 2 is the best/most productive option - especially if you’re working with just an iPad and headphones (i.e. no interface, keyboard etc.). It’s certainly my favourite iOS environment, and I’ve tried a few.

Here:

Everything in-house is so good that it renders a lot of other stuff obsolete, and it all works together. And it’s optimised. Audio tracks aren’t there yet but they are on the way.

1 Like

I really lik nanostudio though it’s been replaced by cubasis for me as I work with a lot of sampled audio. Maybe I’ll jump back when audio tracks are available but not sure.

I also love beatmaker 3 for audio chopping and slicing up samples. I then bounce the loops down into folders to use in cubasis.

Another way I create audio loops/parts is using AUM and a variety of synths, granular samplers, FX and drum machines. It’s more about jamming and experimenting until I like something then I’ll record it.

I like the freedom of iOS, I have multiple setups for creating, a bit like having a studio with different hardware combinations that you can move round to achieve different results.

The only thing is I don’t make as many finished tracks, a lot of time is just chilling with a spare 30 minutes and having fun. I’m cool with that though as I have my traditional set up for making tracks.

1 Like

Just checked Cubasis … it shows in “Media/Instrument” the section “Inter-App” and there I see 8 AUM ports listed.

I didn’t try to do a recording myself, but I launched AUM and Cubasis and checked that we can directly link Cubasis tracks with AUM ports. The audio is then send from AUM directly to the linked tracks in Cubasis.

The developer promised audio tracks summer 2019, but that’s having a long delay, maybe 1 year. That would be summer 2020.

First he wants to release the iPhone version which has priority over the audio tracks.

I stopped using Nanostudio 2 for that reason and now I use Cubasis and Auria Pro, I need audio tracks.

1 Like