iPad Music Apps?

I’m on iOS 9.3.5 so I can’t go for Rozeta yet… but I have an iPad 2017 9.7" coming so I’ll probably end up using iOS 11 on that one :wink:
you can sequence from OT but unfortunately AFAIR you can’t control any parameters via CC…
in terms of MIDI control, Elastic Drums is much more flexible

1 Like

Bit the bullet and bought samplr cause it looked fun even though it hasn’t been updated in 2 years, having problems loading short wavs prepared in beatmaker 3. Gonna go try and prep a bunch on the computer now and try that, but at the moment it crashes or simply doesn’t load the file. On ios11 on iPad Pro 12.9

Edit: seems to work fine with prepped samples from the computer, peculiar

Samplr still my favourite app after all these years, almost worth having an iPad just for that imo. Hope it gets an update at some point.

This track was all Samplr, headphone output of iPad through Ableton’s guitar amp and glue compressor.

7 Likes

wow. Lovely Track.

1 Like

awesome track! ambient works-ish vibe :slight_smile:
super curious about your workflow there!

1 Like

question for everyone: although I just got an A4 as a companion for my Octatack, I’m not clicking with the 2x sequencer worfkflow… it’s early to tell, but I just got too used to my previous setup (wich was Octatrack + iPad + Shruthi-1 for bass), sequencing everything from OT

I’ve been thinking of going back to it… but routing the audio from OT into the iPad using my Akai EIE Audio Interface, and using an AU compressor, and maybe also sending a mono CUE send to a better reverb than the OT’s (AUFX: Space for example)…

Then complementing with Samplr (maybe some percussion loops, ambient fragments, loop recording for transitions…?)
I’ve already tried this and it has a lot of fun potential… phew! I think I should make a new thread about this :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway! here’s my question: I have an Analog Heat, but since I play pretty small gigs and I live in Argentina where, not only it’s hard to get the money to buy this stuff - it’s also much more expensive to buy them, and - arguably - less safe on the streets, I would rather not take it with me unless it’s an important gig, so… do you know of any interesting app to warm up the sound? I’m not asking for as much range/options of course, but something to tighten up/ color the sound / enhance / mildly saturate the signal…

Look up amazing noises limiter. It’s au.
Also audio damage grind might work. I haven’t used it for this but maybe lighter settings.
If u use auria pro, saturn is amazing.

1 Like

No limits by DDMF is really good at the end of a chain if you want something big and transparent. Lo Fly just got released anyone use it yet? It colors, compresses, and emulates the sound of old samplers like the sp1200

1 Like

Ive also found now with samplr if I prepare wavs in BM3 and put them through an audio converter app to wav again and open them in samplr they work. This app is great.

Nice track, I can hear it in there. I believe the guy works for Apple and they keep him busy, I think he said there will be an update but it doesn’t seem to be of any priority so it could be now, in 2 years or who knows. Tons of people big this app up but the app only has 20 or so reviews in the App Store. I’m not sure if he knows that so many people still love it, I think if you’ve got it and use it it may be a good idea to leave a review and ask about updates. I’d love to see drag and drop added to this, and also IAA, I wanna use it like an instrument in Beatmaker but at the moment that means file transferring between the two apps

1 Like

Cheers! For drums, I made some 8 hit sample chains to play using the slice mode. Think it was 2 drum tracks, a pitched up Linndrum and a 909 kit, 1 track using the arpeggiator and the rest are just synth samples played on the keyboard sampler, probably from a Legowelt sample pack.

Recorded a long take from the headphone output, chopped it up a bit and ran through distortion and some effects, maybe SP-404 vinyl compressor too. I’ve tried recording all the individual parts from Samplr but it never sounds as good as the main output for some reason.

1 Like

There’s a Samplr Facebook page full of people begging for an update so I think he knows :grin:

All I really want is swing and a way to set how many steps/bars you want to record beforehand, or be able to change it after. I always take too long to press stop and end up with 9 bar loops.

2 Likes

I recently made a post in the iPad Musician Facebook group, asking if there was any news about the update… lots of users/fans over there.

my wishlist:

• Ableton Link
  • Individual stream outputs - this would be really awesome
  • envelope automation
  • BPF
  • some basic midi control options… at least stream volume (this could be solved with individual stream outputs I guess)
  • a better way to record internally… sometimes I press record and when I get back to the stream I want to play with, the beginning of the recording can get messy…

swing would be cool, and the ability to adjust bars, or trim the audio, would also be great.

1 Like

An easy way to just set the bars and pre-roll would be nice. Maybe a way to set a crossfade on bow mode too. That plus drag and drop file import. +1 for routing individual tracks out, that would be killer

2 Likes

the online videos of DDMF are pretty awful
Lo Fly Dirt seems to be pretty nice! on the normal mode it seems to add some nice character, could work nicely after a compressor I think

for now, I might play around with RoughRider and/or Limiter (wich I can add some nice subtle distortion with)

1 Like

Wonder if Elektron would ever consider making an Overbridge AU for iPad, this weekend I hooked up my soundcraft mtk to my ipad and did a bunch of recording, it worked even better than my normal daw workflow (using cubasis on the iPad) it’d be neat if I could multitrack my AR the same way and save myself some mixer channels.

1 Like

I have to recommend this app from Bram Bos. They have made a couple of music apps before, but I think they’ve nailed it with Ripplemaker.

Ripplemaker av Bram Bos

2 Likes

For the FM fans, NFM seems to take at least some of its inspiration from FM8 – rather than preset algorithms you’re given a matrix of operators/carriers (A through F) to connect as you see fit. I’ve only had a short amount of time with it, but it seems promising.

Xequence also appears to be the straightforward and “get to work” MIDI sequencer we’ve all been waiting for, but I’m also still putting it through its paces.

I still love iWavestation, even with all its flaws, because it’s something different from the usual subtractive synths well know and love (?). Same with Phosphor 2!

1 Like

These are most of my favourites:

2 Likes

Massive fan of Attack here!

1 Like

I finally upgraded my ipad mini 1 to the ipad 2017. Too bad that I missed the animoog sale! Is it correct that I need Apple’s Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to connect any usb midi keyboard? What´s the deal with midi sync? Does Ableton Link work or is there another way to sync my ipad to Ableton? Thanks a lot!