iPad Music Apps?

I have a ummm pretty workaroundy method of creating cool trippy visuals.

This video was created using Lumafusion for the video editing and i generated the two pieces of art that are morphing with iColorama.

The workaroundy part is that I screen captured iColorama and tweaked parameters in that, then had to crop out the top and bottom of the videos to remove all of the buttons and tools and such of the iColorama app. I did the overlaying and cropping , and also added audio with Lumafusion. (Background music is a recording of my baritone ukulele mangled with Fieldscaper, and I used Virsyn Bandshift for the vocal effects)

1 Like

How does it compare to the MD or Nord Drum (or some other digital drum designer), in terms of sound quality? I doubt I would use it for sequencing (have they ā€œfixedā€ that side of it yet?), but I would love to add some one-shot digital madness to my ARā€¦

That question interests me as well. Since itā€™s all digital Iā€™m asking myself if ipad apps can come close soundwise to those hardwareā€¦
I own a Nord drum 2 so I could compare :grin: Just interested in other peopleā€™s opinion

I just remember some people talking about ED as comparable soundwise to the MD (which blew my mind; unfortunately couldnā€™t test it)

So if weā€™re talking about a 48-osc behemoth, I mean, letā€™s start talkingā€¦

1 Like

The thing is Iā€™m always GASing for the MD so I want to convince myself ED can come close :wink:
I also have the OT + ND2 combo which is crazy good in theory, but I so far I donā€™t enjoy designing drum sounds on the fly on the ND2ā€¦ Elastic drums is great for that, building sequences, editing and automating sounds in one go.

1 Like

Sequencing isnā€™t great, but having owned a ND2 in the past I think Attack is at the same level, maybe improved by having effects, sequencer and a samples.
The interface though, albeit good, takes a bit getting used to as the knobs can move too much sometimes.
I wish there was a hardware, knobby version of this (as opposed to the Attack rack which seems a pin to program)

1 Like

Iā€™m still looking for the elusive perfect drum synth app or hardware. Thinking of the combo of the Jomox synthsā€¦

Look up ripplemaker. Modular type synth with sequencer. Lots of happy accidents.

Audio damage replicant and grind are cool to run drums through and get interesting results.

3 Likes

Tried seekbeats a bit. Sounds really big, very impressed. Only the sequencer is very boring

How do you try apps? Is there a demo option Iā€™ve been neglecting?

2 Likes

Haha, no I just buy them. They all look so cheap compared to some hardware devices from a certain company :wink:

2 Likes

Ahhh. K. Cause there have been more than a few disappointments I wish Id had the option of demoing beforehand. Then itā€™s like ā€œdamnit, couldā€™ve bought a record with that.ā€

2 Likes

i was lucky with seekbeats today :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Man then do us all a favor get Attack and put it up against the ND! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

yeahā€¦ it could be improved
for sequencer, you probably canā€™t beat Patterningā€¦ but you can generate some variation in the pattern by adjusting the steps velocities (turn down the blue squares), then in the trackā€™s sound parameters, double tap a parameter to set a range for that velocity ammountā€¦ unfortunately you canā€™t modulate the envelopes, as far as I know

1 Like

Also chiming in for iM1. You can make some seriously :fire: pleasantly :cheese: patches with the quickness

ok :ecstatic:
what really impressed me with the ND2, are the fm and physical modelling sounds you get out of it. Itā€™s really great for melodic stuff not only drums

3 Likes

yeah it has some nice tricks with the velocity. and the random stuff is great.
since it sounds so good Iā€™ll probably just hook the OT to it and sequence it from there.
or use the euclidean sequencer from the bram bos rozeta. really good

1 Like

Amen!

Set up for pitch control of individual midi channels, send it an Elektron Arp and buckle up!

5 Likes

You sent out a ND chain for the AR awhile back and I love it to bits. One of my go-to samples. I am hoping to find something along the same lines without having to shell out for a ND.

The search continuesā€¦

2 Likes