iPad Music Apps?

Can the ZEEON be controlled with external gear? Just downloaded iOS 11 and can’t access his site, or don’t know how…(so can’t read manual)
Thanks

1 Like

the biggest downfall to iOS is tactile. you can get adept at nudging a virtual knob on the glass but it takes more care and does not always work as you would like. some apps take advantage of the glass and do things better (like patterning or gadget, where you draw automations or idensity where you “play” a sound or loop, granurally with your finger. also switching between screens sometimes gives you clicks or pops. maybe with the new app switching things will be better. but as creating sounds and loops to stick in a digitakt or octatrack? perfect

4 Likes

Playing it with a midi keyboard works so I’d guess it can be sequenced externally. But, controlling it’s filter with a knob on an external synth/controller? I don’t know, it doesn’t look like there’s a menu for its MIDI settings but I might be wrong.

1 Like

I’ve been shedding a lot of my hardware because of iOS apps. Sold three pieces in the last month. iOS apps are not only incredibly cheap for what they do but they are mostly very easy to learn and use while offering a lot of features.

2 Likes

Should be able to. The new update has MIDI learn among other things.

1 Like

iOS11 is out. I updated to get access to the File section. So far it’s not looking too hot, what with Dropbox seemingly unable to load files and Audioshare just not doing anything. Anyone else?

Questions for all you iPad masters out there:

• Is there an app where I can control multiple apps from it only, as opposed to going back and forth between screens? So on this one app: running Nave while having control over, say, filter and “wave speed”; Animoog running while from said app having control over X ad Y orbit; ect ect…

• What is the most space efficient stereo out (maybe in, but not essential) interface? I see all sorts of tiny “in” interfaces but can’t seem to find tiny “out”. I just want to not have to rely on the headphone out yet don’t want a full blown interface…

fully agree. There are very creative developers

I’m far from being an iPad master but you could have a look at an app called KRFT, its a kind of control surface that connects to your other music apps :wink:

1 Like

there’s many MIDI controller designer apps. I own TBMIDI Stuff… but I wouldn’t recommend it.
it has tons of options, wich is good… but it hasn’t been updated for a while, crashed on me a few times while designing controllers, wich I eventually never used. You can edit on the ipad, wich is good… but also quite awkward.
I think TouchOSC has a computer editor wich I’m pretty sure makes the whole process of designing it a lot faster.
is not as nice visually (I’m a graphic designer so I can get bitchy about that stuff - TBMIDI stuff lets me pick a specific color with RGB values… I like that :P) but it has quite a lot of options.
another possibilty (although limited and also a bit abandoned) is Sidecar, wich opens on the side and doesn’t take the full screen… but it’s not as straigh-forward to configure, and you can’t save/recall configurations.
There’s many more… but I haven’t messed with others. I know there are some more expensive options, like Lemur or MIDI Designer PRO

1 Like

Take a look on MODSTEP… you can control from here any MIDI INSTRUMENTS and internal ones…

1 Like

Yeah, idk if I want to go full hog and learn to design like that. I’ll keep it in mind, tho, thanks.

Thought MODSTEP would pop up as an answer. Have they vaccinated all the bugs?

I’ve read many users saying it was buggy/counter-intuitive… it’s not the same, but I think maybe Beatmaker 3 might interest you

Yeah modstep is not the cool new kid, beatmaker 3 is. I bought it while waiting for my digitakt. Very cool. However lately i prefer using ios just to prepare stems and loops and sounds to send to the digitakt.

One of the cheapest (and very good) interfaces is Behringer uc 222 or 202. I got Alesis control Hub, with midi in/out, audio headphones out. Much better than the uc., YMMV.

As per platforms, AUM is good, it lets you load apps on tracks with FX, you can record and save in Audioshare. But I think it’s not too midi oriented, more on LINK side.

1 Like

I use beatmaker 3 and it is a great app. It is still a work in progress and is not yet there in terms of working with external gear, as of the latest version 3.0.3. It does not sync to midi clock, and the midi cc stuff is not there yet either. For example, it doesn’t record midi cc’s from external gear, it has some macro knobs for automating stuff in the app but they also wont send cc to IAA synths so a bit limited in automation. I’m told the midi stuff is a priority, so expect it to be fixed in the next few versions. The devs are pretty active and it is a very good app imo.

This guy has some good videos if you want to get a feel for what its like to work with https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1L0U_AaeJrmRVr8JhCq0g/videos

Good info, fam. I’ll keep an eye on Beatmaker 3: looks nice if MIDI were consistent. Speaking of MIDI, I really liked the footprint of the RolandGOMIX, but without MIDI from my OT, just can’t do it. I guess it’ll be deal with another block or stick with headphones :expressionless:

Looks like Jakob’s on it!

3 Likes

Korg plugkey is a very compact little helper getting audio our from an iPad.

3 Likes

THAT is what I’m talkin about. Thank.you.