iPad Music Apps?

Delicious - new analogue style AUv3 MIDI sequencer

4 Likes

Very confidential, impossible to find the app or any other news about it. The UI looks nice.

There is a thread on audiobus forum about it. The app is here: ā€ŽmidiDREAMs on the App Store

2 Likes

Ah ok i thought it mighht not be on my countryā€™s appstore but it is just that my iOS is too old.

Latest version of LK Imaginando Matrix allows multi channel midi import into separate midi clips Ableton Live style.

Now midi clips and scenes can be independently triggered.

The iPad takes another step towards becoming a replacement DAW.

Do you know if it supports external clock sync?

I believe that there are some posts about using a combination of AUM or Audiobus and/or Ableton Link or Midi Link Sync to acheive external clock sync - try searching the Digitakt / Drambo / iPad threads here for more info on thisā€¦

I use Aum to sync all my apps, as long the app can receive Midi IN.
So far so good.

AUM doesnā€™t work in my setup as, for some confounding reason, the developer has thus far refused to support external MIDI sync. The Audiobus nesting and/or MIDILinkSync app are not feasible solutions either but I am aware of both. :slight_smile:

The developer of which app?

AUM. External MIDI sync must be the most requested feature for this app. Itā€™s bloody lovely but Iā€™m not syncing my entire hardware rig to it. Iā€™ve had stability issues when nested in Audiobus and MIDILinkSync doesnā€™t support start/stop and is prone to drift.

I truly dream of the day when I go to the App Store and see an AUM update that supports external sync. It will be glorious indeed.

I think you mean AUM being Clock Midi Slave, right?

I sync all the synths in Aum from the external clock of the OT.
What would you like to do precisely that you canā€™t achieve?

Just a polite enquiry:
Audiobus nesting - what does this mean?
&
Why is Audiobus not a feasible solution?

Or apeMatrix or Audiobus? Both have MIDI clock sync, though your mileage may vary, regarding ā€˜tight syncā€™.

Though the synced audio recordings in AUM is great. Thankfully some hardware supports Ableton Link.

where is your clock coming from now? how large is this external setup that you canā€™t move a clock source?

Also have you looked at drambo?

How are you managing this? There is no external clock support in AUM. I cannot be a MIDI clock slave. It has to be the master.

Nesting means for one thing to run inside of another. AUM is a brilliant app for audio routing and app hosting. It cannot be clocked externally. One workaround is to open Audiobus then run AUM inside of it. Audiobus has been unstable lately with, at the very least, my audio interface. AUM supports Link which Audiobus can sync AUM to. Audiobus also supports external MIDI sync.

Nesting AUM inside of it to solve a clocking issue that AUM should just support isnā€™t a particularly good solution.

I use an E-RM Multiclock. My use case for AUM is audio routing and hosting of a small handful of apps that perform functions that I donā€™t have hardware solutions for. I donā€™t want to over complicate things or have unstable solutions for something I hope to use in a live scenario. AUM does literally everything I could want, in fine style too, but not external midi sync.

Drambo might be more suited for you (if you can deal with no multi outs for now)
It handles MIDI and midi controllers 1000x better and far more routable.

Ive been using AUM live for eons, but iā€™ve pretty much dumped it due to Drambo killing it in routing and MIDI implementation. You can get the 8 out with drambo into AUM, but you lose the AU hosting of drambo. AUM did 99% of everything I want, and very well like you say, but incremental/relative encoder support is what was limiting me in AUM. Plus MIDI can be implemented differently on a per track basis in drambo.

What kind of functions do you lack hardware for? Iā€™ve been strictly iOS for about 5 years now with some hardware mixed in, so there are are solutions out there.

1 Like

I use and love Mononoke. Donā€™t have cash or space for a Lyra-8 and i just love it to death. Iā€™m looking for a clip style sample player. I donā€™t write sample based music but want to incorporate shaker loops that I write in Ableton, atmospheric and texture stuff from field recordings etc.

I just sold my Soundcraft mixer and Iā€™m going to an Allen and Heath PX5. I am hoping that I can use the sound card as an insert route through the iPad. I will use AUM in this case as it would just be for hosting 4 instances of ProQ3 (to bring back the EQing Iā€™m giving up from the Soundcraft) and possibly Mononoke to route to the 5th channel on the mixer. I would love to clock AUM and use time based effects but I cannot because of the lack of sync.

Koala sampler will likely do the sample playback I need but again, if I host it in AUM, no sync.

Drambo is likely going to be the way forward. It needs to sort out its audio routing first. You can only send audio on channels 1/2 which is of no use to me for my use case. I am %100 confident that the dev will address this though. The only other Drambo feature I would really love to see implemented is last step per track/track scaling. I use polyrhythms a lot and this would be a big thing for me to leverage.

None of any of this is really holding me back. I just feel that the iPad could help add that missing texture that would really tie things together.