iPad Music Apps?

What exactly are you into / looking for? What style of music / type of instruments / effects / utilities (compressors & eq) do you usually go for?

1 Like

My favourites are AUM, Drambo, anything by bram bos, DRC, Spectrum.

3 Likes

So many to pick from depending on what you want to make and how you want to make it but my choice

Drambo
Mirack
Rozeta suite
Moog model 15
Mixbox cs
Troublemaker

seems new

Another day off and some time with the OctaTrack sequencing the DigiTone, MicroFreak and Korg Module Pro in AUM with PlayBeat and DrumComputer on beat duties:

2 Likes

Anyone know of an app that will take link and/or midi clock from a host and output MIDI Time Code?
Looking to sync some external gear via MTC. Iā€™ve found a couple generators, but nothing that takes the current clock source and syncs MTC out.

2 Likes

Benn is so right about his hardware bashing at the beginning. You only realize how incredible bad Apple is regarding compatibility when you follow them through a few generations.

3 Likes

in my case he is also very right that ios music making only leads to frustration if you want to produce full tracks and incorporate external gear and guitar recording etc

But itā€˜s extremely fun exploring all these highly innovative and creative apps and just spend time jamming with them.

Drambo + Auv3 now changed a lot for me and brought everything I like about ios together in one savable place

7 Likes

I own almost all iOS music apps, and I mean that lol. I really appreciate the platform and I actually have my iPad with AUM and an iConnectivity Audio 4+ setup as insert FX for my Vox, Guitar and two synth channels. Itā€™s amazing how modular and flexible the AUv3 format is, especially paired with AUM or ApeMatrix.

But I wouldnā€™t turn to my iPad for full polished production. I feel the computer is just so much better suited for that, UI/input devices given and all.

Nevertheless, when Iā€™m on the go or traveling (whichā€¦well itā€™s been a while) I usually take my iPad + Roli Seablock + my field recorder (Zoom H5) with me as mobile setup, and it works really well to capture ideas and get lost in leisurely music creation.

2 Likes

I wish Icould use this Auv3 but in Aum i always get prompted an error Ā« could not communicate with a helper application Ā», whatever app i try with.
Whatā€™s the advantage of opening an app thru Auv3 vs the app itself?

The ā€˜link to midiā€™ app might help - if did a job I needed at the time but havenā€™t revisited it. Think itā€™s free

Some fun with the iPad being sequenced by the Polyend tracker:

And another via SunVox and Gauss in AUM

1 Like

Great video. Personally, Iā€™ve had the most success and least frustration by just using an app (or two) at a time. No iOS DAW and no external gear (which I tried and got annoyed with because of all the cables). I love sitting down with just the iPad and a pair of headphones while I use Drumcomputer, for example, which I think has a great GUI for the iPad. I detested using hardware because of all the cables (CCK3, power banks, hubs, interfaces, etc.). I thought for sure Iā€™d like using Turnado as a kind-of KP3 for my hardware samplers. After all, Turnado on the iPad has an XY touch interface like the KP3 but with the ability to use multiple effects at once. For whatever reason, I didnā€™t enjoy it (again probably because of all the cables). But I do love using a single app like a granular app or Drumcomputer or Ruismaker Noir. The phrase ā€œless is moreā€ applies for me with iOS stuff. Korg Gadget is done very well, though. Itā€™s DAW-like without being overwhelming and un-fun.

2 Likes

Itā€™s utterly disgusting how much obsolete gear I have for my iOS devices. While I continue to use them, I no longer invest in peripheral devices and minimize their importance in the set-up. The rate of planned obsolescence is too damn high.

These devices are computers, there should be no difference except that apple makes it so.

Iā€™m the same, but I prefer the clickiness of the korg nanokontrol as a bluetooth controller. But also like you I have spent most of the last year in my house, and elektronā€™s grooveboxes have completely replaced the iPad as a sketchpad for musical ideas.

2 Likes

Midi Time Code is not midi clock. Its SMPTE
Itā€™s completely different.

Yeah thatā€™s true! I was specifically referring to the form factor, input devices available & optimised for (keyboard + mouse/trackpad) and the UI design of MacOS apps vs iOS apps. Because Apple makes it so, they are not the same (even if the keybaord/mouse thing can be approximated on an iPad).

2 Likes

Here are some of my faves:

Samplr
Borderlands Granular
Patterning 2
DM1 and DM2

1 Like

You can open as many instances as you want of an app with auv3, you can only use one instance when not using auv

1 Like

Is this the only advantage?

Iā€™m asking but since Auv3 doesnā€™t work for me i guess iā€™ll have to have imagination :wink: