iPad Music Apps?

I have it and I keep trying, but I just can’t _______ that interface.
I often wonder what goes on in some peoples UI designs
Case in point:

7 Likes

Ahahah I remember that app from the early days of iPad. Actually sounded great I recall but I couldn’t bring myself to use it because of the crazy ugly interface! I’m with you that aesthetics matter, especially on iPad apps. There are a few apps that are well regarded and probably cool but I just know I won’t use because they are ugly (or maybe I should say, not to my taste!)

i could deal with ugly to an extent, its the cluttered layout on single pages.
but yeah…does an app really need to look like a unicorn threw up all over by screen?

1 Like

what the fuck!!

hahaha yeah… I’m with you on that one. I’m also a graphic designer, so it hits home but…
at the same time, it’s sort of well designed - I mean, it’s really performance-oriented… although for sure it could be improved.
Didn’t get all that much time to play with it (also went back to my DT+OT set to organize my mess there) but I really want to… there’s some stuff on Jamm Pro that’s right in Octatrack territory, and in some other aspects it goes beyond it, imho

1 Like

I love how the name of the app is the most subdued thing lol…

I got ColdCutter and it broke my heart. I wanted to like it so much, bought into the advertising and hoped it would revolutionise my music making. Nope. The design is incredibly cluttered and confusing, to the point where I have no interest in importing my own samples.

4 Likes

Stroke Machine is dope. But yeah… Even the subdued color scheme is hard to look at.

Wow, it’s been ages since I opened Stroke Machine! I haven’t used it much because of the CPU load. Made this track on my old iPad

Does it still work? I assumed it died out in the 64 bit transition!

I really have no idea. For some off reason google search results still want to spoon feed me this.
Im super heavy into iOS, so whenever I have iOS and elektron in the same search field, inevitably this is in the top 3 results:

Like without fail…I always get this link and it has the stroke machine vid on it (like this is ANY way an ‘octatrack on ipad’ app).
So I’m constantly reminded of this travesty of a UI

Edit: apparently its still intermittently updated

1 Like

On a different note…

Does anyone know any AU effects plugins that send midi out? i.e. send the midi CC’s and not just received mapped CC’s? Effects apps or apps that only work in CC’s. Not sequencers.

I know Turnado does this, but I am looking for some others, which I don’t think there are any.

apematrix and FAC Evolver

Apematrix sends the AU parameter values of any AU plugin?
Or just it’s own controls?

You can open it in AUM as a MIDI generator, enable it as MIDI controller in its settings and assign the LFO’s to any CC you want.

This here is an example of how to assign FAC Evolver e.g. in that manner:

Thank you kind sir

1 Like

miRack :wink:

Get crazy with some generative machines… make polyrhythms with Euclidean sequencers… exactly what I plan on doing today!

EDIT: Checked out Poly 2 because of this thread and it too has MIDI out :wink:

1 Like

or good old Drambo :slight_smile:

SunVox AU MIDI out is the one I’m looking forward to. The dev promises to implement it in an upcoming release.

is it a separate app? or you mean the ColdCutter module inside Jamm Pro?
Jamm Pro is quite cryptic but if you watch the tutorials and practice a bit, I think it might be easy to get familiar with it… then again, I haven’t been able to use it as much yet, time will tell! but I like the different timestretching algorithms and how they add texture to beats