iPad Music Apps?

Running iOS 10? I use an iconnectmid4 which can use network midi from iPad. I still haven’t upgraded as iconnect says they’ve encountered network midi problems with iOS 10, OS Sierra. Perhaps these issues appear elsewhere without Iconnect. Network midi/iPad audio stability solid on OS X 10.9.5, iOS 8.4.1 over here…

1 Like

It’s always something.

1 Like

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. I am very cautious these days when it comes to investing more money on music apps. So many apps that I never use. I’ve even asked for a refund of some of the apps I’ve bought recently.

It is very tempting to buy some app for the price of one coffee, just to mess around a bit, but the overall cost does stack up.

But fwiw I’ve gotten quite alot of value from various Korg apps. They have even influenced some of my hw gear purchases (M1, ody, wavestation). And Gadget is my favourite “sketchpad” while on the go. Looking forward on getting the mac version of Gadget when it is released so I can edit and mix my sketches properly without committing to audio prematurely…

1 Like

The overall cost can stack up but man… $20 for Odyssei versus $599 for a full Korg Arp Oddysey module… Granted, full module probably sounds much much better and I wouldn’t mind having it but I’m running out of space for hardware and know that I would use it about as much as I use the app. I throw away much more money on hardware that goes under-used than on apps that go under-used :slight_smile:

So my approach to to iPad Music Apps has been “screw it, it’s cheaper than hardware”. (I still like hardware but - again - just have thrown away too much money on it. Total amount I’ve spent on iPad music apps is probably less than spent on a single oscillator in my brief Eurorack days anyways).

I’m starting to have fun using the various Korg apps on the iPad in conjunction with the Octatrack. Sampling and slicing up a big loop of Wavestation mayhem has already yielded some really fun sounds.

3 Likes

I am not suggesting anyone do what I did. That’s not sane behaviour by any standards :loopy:

Still, there is some advantages to having access to your “hardware” anywhere. Kinda like how some people use UAD plugins while they also have the hardware, a certain synergy. But whether that is worth the cost and the storage space, well that’s very subjective and depends on a number of factors. If elektron were to make iOS “emulations” of their current lineup, I’d buy them in a heartbeat even though I already have (some of the) the hardware.

1 Like

Anyone explored Thesys midi sequencer by Sugar Bytes? I have it but it’s been dwelling in a lonely not so used page of the ol OmPad. Seems like it might have some tricks ups its sleeve…

So dedicated I/o expansions for your iPad are giving the stability here maybe? I’m just using the cck I find it strange that only the studiomux devs have seen to use this for sync and audio signals. Yeh midi over network even a dedicated connection has issues.

Yes iOS 10.2 but these problems have existed through quite a few os iterations.

For me yes… I prefer to get Jacks and Midi by a I/O expansions and use it as a dedicated machine…

Gadget is great so much power available on the move. I love the inclusion of the digital classics. But because network midi doesn’t work for me and Link dropouts i don’t use it much. Skram is the same great on its own useless with Link.

isnt it just…why couldn’t I just be happy with a laptop and propellerheads reason :roll_eyes:

You use ethernet or wifi for your network MIDI?

And which iPad model you using?

I don’t know when Gadget received midi channelization and midi CCs, but somewhere along the way it happened and I just discovered it last night. This app suddenly went from my least used to one of my most vital, since I’ve always wished I could sequence individual gadgets externally instead of being locked into Korg’s approach. Almost makes me want another Octatrack to sequence and sample it now. Loading up multiple instances of Milpitas/iWavestation and automating the joystick values/destinations is some of the most fun I’ve had in a minute. :aw:

5 Likes

Yeah, those features have been onboard at least a few updates now.

1 Like

An app I’m appreciating more and more is Beat Maker 2, so much fun to use with the PO-12, Craftsynth and Blofeld…

I somehow missed them along the way, meanwhile bitching about the lack of midi control in Gadget the whole time. I bought it the weekend it was released, but abandoned it after a bit because of the lack of midi options. Now that I know it doesn’t have to be an island unto itself, I’m really excited to sequence the hell out of it.

2 Likes

And remember that soon there’s a desktop version so all your work can be transferred to a DAW painlessly. The desktop gadget supposedly also offers VST/AU mode so you can use it in any DAW that supports either format.

I could even manage with the standalone gadget if it had proper mixing tools. They should expand the idea of “gadgets” to the mixer side as well (Cambridge EQ gadget, Abbey compressor gadget etc)

2 Likes

I really do enjoy sound design with the iPad. It’s a lot of fun.

But when I bring files into the mix - audiopaste to dropbox to DAW/OT - the quality seems to fall flat on it’s ass when up against other elements.

Any tips on mixing / beefing up iPad audio?

Buy a high quality set of headphones or invest in a souncard which will allow you to connect the ipad to the cammera connection kit so you can monitor in real time.

I have good headphones and I really only make a go at the iPad away from my studio.

The trouble I find is that when trying to get it to sit with other elements, if I find a good balance between them the iPad audio almost disappears. If I bring it more forward, the dynamics of the other audio are lost…