iPad Music Apps?

Great thing about these interesting iOS sequencers is you can record the midi into your electron patterns. I do this quite a lot, mess around and compose some patterns on the tube/toilet, then bring over to my favoured instruments later

2 Likes

Nice idea. Never thought of doing this but with the USB MIDI support it would be pretty easy! Nice one :blush:

1 Like

I actually do this pattern recording quite a lot in general, transferring patterns from ableton to hardware, box to box etc. Itā€™s brilliant with any kind of generative sequencer in particular though, and on digitone even better now we have probability :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got Aum and it all starts to make sense! I sync the Digitakt and the iPad brings a world of other sounds and music generators, amazing! Pardon my noob Ness, this is quite new for me, I never bothered beforeā€¦

So, question, what are your favorite MIDI/notes generators on IOS? Fugue machine is oneā€¦ What else?

How do you record the midi? This is a new one on me.

Piano Motifs is an app that generates melodies you can use as starter ideas for songs

On the AB forum thereā€™s been some interesting discussion about further processing/mangling/twisting the MIDI data generated by Piano Motifs, using other apps

3 Likes

Brambosā€™ Rozeta is a classic suite with a variety of sequencers and generators. Pretty straight forward but useful. The Pagefall offerings are another set, bit more abstract.

Then thereā€™s Brambosā€™ ā€˜Mozaicā€™ - a MIDI custom coding platform that supports coding whatever insanity you can come up with, but also has some incredible sequencers and generators already written for it on its patch storage! ā€˜Metroplexā€™ and ā€˜Flowā€™ are favorite scripts I recommend.

https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/

3 Likes

I stumble on Rozeta while exploring. Looks really interesting! The scripting option as well, though I donā€™t want to fall in a rabbit hole. Using already made ones can be great though.

Polyphase.

3 Likes

Thanks! Looks really interesting as well

1 Like

Plug a USB midi adapter into your iPad, set your app to output midi to the adapter on the desired channel(s)
Plug it into your instrument,
Press play on the app and record on the device at the same

And youā€™re done

Itā€™s the same as plugging in an external keyboard.

1 Like

Fugue machine and Rozeta are my go to.
The bassline sequencer of Pure Acid is actually very nice.
Quantum is awesome but no auv3.
The Xynthesizr sequencer is also great, especially for generative stuff, but no auv3 either

+1 for Pure Acidā€™s bass sequencer; and it sounds great, too.

2 Likes

The sequencer is quirky but once it clicks in your head it works really well.

I always recommend looking into midi source / modulation routing in AUM , basically if you get rozetta suite you can route an lfo to almost anything on any app ā€¦ search YouTube and itā€™ll make you happy once you figure it out.

And for LFO stuff; the bonus AUv3 that comes with ApeMatrix is epic.

1 Like

I havenā€™t used apeMatrix yet, I bought it ā€¦
I buy a lot os iOS apps, many are very good but sometimes I forget which app does what thing and stick with my faves.

I wish aum had a category filter like vcv rack so I could select delays / reverb etc.

2 Likes

I dig ApeMatrix although understanding how its routing works took a moment. Itā€™s biggest benefit to me is that it gets rid of all the scrolling that is obligatory in AUM (donā€™t understand why thereā€™s not a compact view in AUM).

2 Likes

Xequence2 is great. riffer is useful too. and of course rozetta bundle is fantastic

1 Like

Agreed. Thereā€™s been a lot of talk of it, including with the dev (also sync in); it soundsā€¦acknowledged but not a priority. I agree, would be a huge help. Or even a modified matrix view (aka its midi routing, perhaps with Ape style nodesā€¦); Bookmarking channels does help, but, itā€™s still not terribly fast, and often I forget to do so. Also a big help in Ape is having plugin windows recalled with pages, which if I recall is a thing.

While not ideal, one thing thatā€™s helped in AUM is assigning plugin show/hide with external midi controls. Another is using something like a mozaic script to create a bank of faders for AUM volume control. Again, wish both were unnecessary as much as the next guy, but itā€™s helped in busy sessions. For stability and recording power, I almost exclusively use AUM even with a variety of other hosts. If Ape could record countless channels, Iā€™d consider the switch.

1 Like

Me too, though I have so many and itā€™s not perfect that I donā€™t really use Apeā€™s sorting feature. However, typing for example ā€˜revā€™ or ā€˜delā€™ in AUMā€™s plugin search (pull down in plugin list) helps in obvious situations like those. Less so for, sayā€¦modulation effects named who knows what.

1 Like