iPad Music Apps?

I asked a guy from Eventide who participates in the AB forum whether Eventide had considered any licence transfer, whereby Eventide HW owners could get free access to at least some of the Eventide iOS effects. He didn’t answer directly, but said all algos have essentially been re-written from scratch in iOS code. This suggests that Eventide algos really aren’t the same as the originals in HW. I have an H9 so won’t buy any Eventide iOS. Again, I highly recommend Toneboosters!

As far as I know, this is the most powerful midi sequencer in iOS

http://www.seven.systems/xequence2/en/index/

2 Likes

I have Genome from years ago as well. I got an iPad about 6 months ago and finally clicked with it.

I’m fairly certain AUM can host Genome. And yes, you get link support but that doesn’t solve MIDI slaving for me. You can use a MIDI to Link app but it doesn’t support start stop. If you want proper MIDI slaving of AUM you need to nest it in AB3. I’m not keen on that but it works.

1 Like

He didn’t say that the algorithm is changed, just that it has to be re-coded. You can’t just run software written for a DSP chip on any computer.

Here’s the quote.

There’s no direct compatibility with the hardware. We actually have to recode the algorithms to make them available in the iOS/VST format, not to mention the enhancements that we do to them suitable for use with a DAW. It’s not a trivial process, but we appreciate all the feedback! We do consider all the comments we receive from power users like yourselves. It’s worth noting that with the H9 platform, the algorithms are stored and processed through the hardware, the app only serves as a controller.

Here’s link to see it in context.

I think $10-15 is a steal for this quality of software.

4 Likes

I didn’t say “changed”

I’m not a programmer; I meant recoded. Since I mentioned it, I suppose I should have put the link to the topic.

the eventide blackhole ios is top notch, a fantastic reverb …

1 Like

I’ve just worked out that Drambo can act as a sequencer. I think that should work a treat for now and fills that Ableton scene approach I like. You can have multiple Drambo’s open - wonder how easy it would be to sync them up for scene changes so that one could act as an AU plugin midi player while the other is it’s self contained sample player/synth thing… I’m sure it can be done!

So this saves me £10 or so that will, of course, be spent on new apps to play with…

Yes, it works as a step sequencer. It can also record whatever you’re playing on MIDI keyboard/MIDI instrument in realtime although you have to do it by enable automation recording which is kind of weird.

It does not have piano roll. That set off ridiculous war on the AB forum which led to a Drambo beta tester leaving - he was awfully defensive about no piano roll. The dev said he’d consider adding a piano roll view, but I don’t know what the progress is on that because I have not been able to keep up with the sheer number and length of Drambo threads on that forum.

I personally intend to focus primarily on Drambo for my iPad sequencing activities. Xequence 2 and Nanostudio 2 also have great sequencing environments, each offering its own strengths. Xequence 2 has a great section in the manual explaining why to integrate AUM and AB3 and how to do it. It is however a purely MIDI sequencer - no integrated synth/sampler stuff like the other two.

AUM works well with a lot of sequencers, in answer to your earlier question.

3 Likes

Create a few presets in the instances of Drambo you want sequence-change and save them as AUM presets. Then use an instance of drambo (or any other AUM-hosted sequencer) to sequence program changes in the target instances of Drambo via Midi Control in AUM. I haven’t tested it, but it should work.

1 Like

sounds like inception … but in ios and drambo.

2 Likes

You’d have too use note to PC change for now.

One thing about Drambo for those of us with little modular synthesis experience… is that the Drambo tutorials I’ve seen are really fast paced. I’m constantly having to pause and rewind Youtube videos because modules are flying in and out so fast.

1 Like

£50 of apps later… really enjoying myself! Thanks @re5et for the Audio Damage/Bram Bos tips.

I’ve got a CME Xkey that I’d like to take out to the garden to play with. Obviously with one USB C port I need a solution if I want to use with headphones. Anyone know of a solid hub? I only need a 3.5mm and USB port. I see lots that do charging through the USB port and I’d presume they’d work but really not sure.

2 Likes

UVI are giving away Beathawk for free at the moment. I haven’t dived in properly but it looks quite comprehensive for a single app.

1 Like

There really isn’t that many with just an old usb and a headphone jack which is weird cause it seems like what people would want. I’ve seen ones with a headphone jack and a usb c port, then you need another usb c hub so it’s two things hanging off. I’ve been considering a hyperdrive one cause it’s the only one I’ve seen that has both. Would mean no iPad cases to fit it on properly though.

But at that price I was just gonna get a small usb c interface specifically for iPad use to get full midi and audio I/O. In that case I was looking at the third gen scarletts, they’re usb C and if I grabbed one used it would probably cost not too much more. Feel a bit screwed otherwise cause I’ve already got a pricey usb c hub but it doesn’t have a headphone jack. It’s infuriating, actually end up using my old iPad more right now because of it. That said I once I add it’s own interface it really will become its own workstation. I’d rather a single wire to another small box than a massive chain of dongles

3 Likes

Do you have article where you read that? Hopefully that would include a whole refresh of the Logic software too. I use Ableton full time these days as it’s just easier to work with (less clicks, easier automation, intuitive UI once you get the hang of it). Only break out Logic for Alchemy synth and then close out once I have a stem.

Garage Band on iOS is “ok” for sounds, but the arrangement view is a pita to work with imo.

I was going to purchase a Hyper Drive 6 in 1 and a Zoom H6, but since I realistically am not doing anything mobile for the short term I went with a MOTU 828es and Kingston Nucleum ( I feel it is a better value and more reliable than the Hyperdrive)

1 Like

Bought touchable pro today and seems great so far. Only thing its missing is a step sequencer like push

ableton controller app btw

Just a tweet from a guy supposedly in the know, apparently he’s been right before so fingers crossed. Logic is my DAW of choice so it would be nice

@dickmalibu yeah I’ve been doing similar. Using my usb c hub and putting my regular interface with my iPad. It means the whole setup isn’t working together then though which gets in the way sometimes. Lockdown sucks though doesn’t it, I keep buying apps then thinking wait I can do this from my computer and I can’t go outside anywhere anyway. I’m thinking giving it its own interface will make it more into the mpc emulator I want it to be. Could build a nice little stand to put it all in like the guy in the other thread with his custom virus thing

2 Likes