iPad Music Apps?

you just need a soundcard with midi I/O. I sync my pad with digitakt / Octa, works like a charm !

i have a SSL2+ but this is great too : https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-44-handy-audio-interface or even U24

i like shoom too ( there is a special price right now, xynthesizr as well ) , around 2 euros if i remember well, great apps

PS : note that AUM must be midi master … in any case, you have audiobus so it should work both ways

just found this video, might help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DZDYpz9tw

Yeah, I have a midi-device (UM-One) that I connect with the cck to the ipad. I am able to sequence stuff, but start stop is not working with Drambo or other synths with their own sequencer, also not when theu are opened in AUM or Audiobus.

Shoom is 5 dollars now. Absolute steal!

i just edited my last message with a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DZDYpz9tw

check it out, it should work

1 Like

Thx!

lots of patches here, this is one is to midi synths. https://patchstorage.com/control-external-synth-midi-cc/

1 Like

Drambo sequencing three instances of the tal-u-no-lx
Nothing special but the synth sounds so lovely :blush:

3 Likes

Need some help here. Thought about making a new thread but eh

What are the differences between AUM and Audiobus? It seems some FX apps support audiobus but not AUM (elastic fx for instance)? I’m sure that goes the other way around too

Secondly, what FX would you guys recommend? I’m looking to host a couple apps in one place and apply FX lo really to individual apps and to a master channel.

1 Like

GlitchCore !!!

Was wondering myself and ended buying, as the audiobus forum is pretty active and the members are very helpful, so Ifigure I can suport the devs, for $10 I could do a whole lot worse.
So far I have purchased:
Impulsation ( convolution reverb with some great presets going to load with Bricasti IR’s)
Virsyn Reverb- More parameters for detailed control and sound good !
Waiting for Eventide blackhole to go on sale (c’mon its eventideI have to)
Klevgrand Gotoeq ( I love anything Pultec-ish)
Fabfilter C-2 ( watchlist waiting for a sale)
EOS-2 (audiodamge) dont have it but demos sound really nice
Filterstep ( free, no brainer)
Magic Death Eye (compressor) the desktop version gets high marks on Gearslutz waiting for a sale.
Woodpressor ( compressor with side chaining) $9 few videos I found a very transparent comp.
For creative effects:
Aparillo is highly regarded on Audiobus and on sale $18 now $10
Klevgrand Modley , Korvpressor

for me it`s AUM, no doubt.
don’t know of any FX that work on AB and not in AUM

Like I said the elastique fx said they work on audiobus but didnt mention AUM. Maybe they work idk

What modulation fx do you guys recommend? Flange, phaser, chorus, etc

they work in AUM as well, pretty sure.
Audiobus and AUM are very similar for a lot of use cases.
AUM has a nicer interface in my opinion. It’s a great mixer and jamming playground.
Advantages of Audiobus that I know, are that you can route audio to different connected interfaces (outputs) and that it has state saving for a lot of inter app audio apps (e.g. saves the current selected presets with the session).

What fx are you after?
For reverb and delay Audiodamage has great choices (Eos, dubstation). there is the eventide blackhole reverb for gorgeous outer space reverbs. Bram Bos has a great delay as well.
For glitch there is the new glitchcore, or audio damage replicant.
Klevgrand has some great stuff for mixing like compressors etc and reamping…
I don’t have that many effects.
I’m sure elastic effects is great, but it’s IAA so you can use only one instance. With Auv3 effects you can load them on multiple channels.

100% sure it works - I own it

have you seen apematrix too? haven’t used it but it sounds like the sort of thing you might be looking for

AUM is a straight up mixer app. If you know how to use a mixer, you’ll know how to use AUM

Audiobus is the app IOS peeps used to route audio between apps before AUM came out. One thing nice about it is there are transport controls so you can start/stop recording in one place - AUM is more likely to force you to flip between apps to start/stop recording.

aum is a potential crazy modulating mayhem modular beating system once you get your head around it.

but theres a lot of scrolling left and right.
while it is ‘a mixer’ its the main host i use , barely used audiobus since it came out.

1 Like

Apps that I love:

Sunvox: just got into this and trackers in general, but it’s a whole ‘nother world and it’s great.

Audulus: the closest thing to a complete modular DSP environment in iOS.

Wotja: generative music POWERHOUSE, truly the last word in generative composition.

all of these will consume months of your life once you get into them, but it’s worth it.

1 Like

I think also apematrix does better with syncing to external gear, something that aum can be a bit lacking in.

I personally still use aum due to inertia but apematrix is on my list to check out next time octatrack transport controls not working in aum starts p’ing me off. Someone I know switched to ape and said sync was a lot better with it.

I do digitone keys to powered hub with other stuff (interface) to CCK to iPad. DNK sending sync. Using this app, generate Ableton Link clock from incoming digitone usb midi clock. Set AUM to use Ableton link. It still requires starting the AUM transport, and I think that’s because the app doesn’t send any position info, or perhaps camemout before Link included start/stop, but in any case, it’s the best solution I’ve found so far.

At the same time I sync DT to DNK via 5 pin, and sometimes also sync the BSP and/or TD-3 via MIDI out over USB in AUM. DNK’s 4 MIDI tracks can sequence AUv3s in AUM; add a USB cable for the digitakt to use its 8 MIDI tracks in AUM. Or the DT/DNS MIDI tracks over 5 pin could be additional LFOs. Or a AUV3 MIDI FX could add extra modulation to either. All easily set up in AUM, which btw, as of the last update, AUM does a much better job remember connections even if they are missing. Was a very nice detail.

Hope that works for you! I can’t see the apps current price but I think it’s only a few bucks, and for a 5 star app that single handedly fixes such a huge omission in most iOS hosts (even those I own that do support slaving to external midi each still have their own issues…) is a steal if you ask me. I recommend it every time I see this asked, which is so much more often recently I need to save a boiler plate or just drop the f’ing link already…

1 Like

elastique fx works in aum.

i use audiobus mainly to sync Xequence 2 to aum, other than that aum is the one