iPad DAW in 2020

Did you also try Cubasis?

On PC back in the days but i never hooked with the interface.
I have bad memories of it so i never gave a chance to newer versions :wink:

1 Like

Cubasis 3 is a great daw for ipad.

2 Likes

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but since I am having issues with Zenbeats and midi-sync, I just wonder how you have solved it. Are you running Zenbeats as master or how do you feed it the right clock?

Cheers!

I havenā€™t used Zenbeats in a while, but recall slaving Zenbeats to an Akai and Elektron, and it was sloppy, as was BM3 and Audiobus. apeMatrix was tight. As master, Garageband was tight, and most of the other DAWs were sloppy. I use an iConnectivity MIDI interface, and just use AUM or apeMatrix nowadays, with Ableton Link, not MIDI Clock.

btw, Iā€™ve found Ableton Link to be tighter than MIDI Clock, even though itā€™s over WiFi. Link V3 supports start/stop, but some apps havenā€™t been updated yet. I use an extra iPhone as a hotspot for Link.

How do you have it set up? Zenbeats as master or slave? USB MIDI or DIN MIDI? Which MIDI interface?

If no one here is around to help, check out the Audiobus Forum.

I have pulled my hair (the small ammount I have left) trying to get ZB to work as a slave, but it just canĀ“t seem to sync the clock properly. When I start my pattern at 120 BPM on the M:S, ZB thinks it is 121, making the beat drift.
I connected M:S directly to my iPad through USB (iPad pro so it has USB C). ZB except for the clock Midi is working fine.
After discussing this in another thread I got the tip to not try to run the DAW as a slave on the iPad, since it seems to prefer beeing the master.
So I have just spent some time reconfiguring everything.
Now I run ZB as master, still connecting to M:S through USB. M:S connects to the ER1 through Midi out, ER1 connects to Microkorg through Midi Thru.
Starting everything from ZB now works perfectly. So now I just have to wrap my head around a workflow using this setup instead :smiley:

True, most DAWs perform better as the master, but so do many hardware sequencers, so itā€™s tough when attempting to get everything synced tightly.

Good to hear that you got it sorted out.

Iā€™m disappointed with my M:C when slaved, as itā€™s sloppy, for my setup at least.

Well I guess I suffer from that BPM OCD as well, itĀ“s just so enoying when stuff is not as you want them to be, sure I like some ā€œswingā€ sometime, and some drift to get that ā€œhuman touchā€ as longs as I decide when it is about to happen.
I ran some testing this evening and the M:S seems to be pretty tight, but maybe not perfect, will have to try it out some more before I can make up my mind :slight_smile:

I thought zenbeats was the ios daw for me. It ticked so many boxes but freezes constantly. Sticking with drambo

Hey everyone!

To begin with, my studio setup ist mostly ā€œDAWlessā€, the creative part like sampling, playing notes and sequecing is done by the MPC Live 2 and some synths. Everything is currently routed into a Zoom R16 where I record my jam performances to have a draft of an arrangement. Alternatively, I connect the R16 to my laptop and record the tracks straight into Reaper.

But lately Iā€™m quite discontent with this setup, the recording into the R16 is quite okay, if I would be honest, for the current purpose it would be enough to just record a 2-track of the master output.

So, I thought about buying an Ipad + Arturia Audiofuse and use it in conjunction with Cubasis 3 as an big digital multitracker. I dont need to MIDI-sequence anything out of it, I just want to capture all my tracks from the MPC etc. to edit and mix it later on. Since my day-job is sitting in front of a PC all day, I thought it would be more relaxing to use a Ipad instead of having to mouse-click in my free time. And I can run around the house and mix and edit my recording whereever I want to.

Does anyone here have some experience with this kind of setup?

TLDR; Can an Ipad + Cubasis replace a PC + DAW for simply recording and mixing audio tracks?

This is pretty much what I do, a 4x4 interface records my outboard into Cubasis. It recently handled 150 tracks of audio in a single project, so itā€™s doubtlessly up to the task.

2 Likes

150 tracks? Recorded 4 by 4?
Thatā€™s dedication, kudos.

I like the portability of the iPad but i have to say its light is destroying the eyes - the screen canā€™t be that far since you need to touch it).
The position of working can often end up collapsing on a beat down sofa, neck bent down, really bad for the back.
Being a touchscreen itā€™s not very precise and efficient sometimes.

2 Likes

Have you tried Apple Pencil?Really refines the experience,

Only for the last point i guess.