iPad DAW in 2020

So with the Pro models being out for a few years, who has made the switch from laptops and desktops for recording? What apps and interfaces are you using? Are you happy with the results?

Do you require audio recording or no? If no, NanoStudio2 is amazing

Yes, basically a full DAW replacement

New cubasis 3 looks closest to full featured daw. I use cubasis, nanostudio has great instruments but lacking audio tracks and beatmaker 3 is imo best for hip hop and chopping samples

1 Like

AUM seems to be top choice

I use AUM now on my iPhone basically as a channel strip to run FieldScaper through, but it’s whole modular approach doesn’t feel like a proper DAW to me.
Auria Pro seems closest from what I’ve been reading. If Elektron made Overbridge compatible on the iOS platform that would be a killer iPad solution.

i use AURIA PRO ( there is a price right now, 27 euros ) , cause cubasis 3 has lots of issues … there is no perfect solution on ipad but auria is really good

2 Likes

IMHO there’s nothing better out on IOS than this:

(:

2 Likes

I use AUM, Beatmaker 3, Nanostudio 2, and Zenbeats (full version IAP is currently free). It’s great that the Fabfilter AU plugins are available on the iPad, but I usually finish songs on the PC.

iPadOS 13.4 now has improved mouse support, but it’s still difficult doing ‘work’ on the iPad vs PC - editing is much easier on a big screen with a keyboard and mouse. Another reason is that iPadOS still doesn’t have an audio editor on par with Sound Forge, though Auditor is shaping up nicely.

1 Like

Can I resurrect this… Anyone doing full tracks on iOS? Which DAW do you use, and are you enjoying the process?

I am loving it. Been playing around but finished my first 2 tracks recently. One in drambo with aum and one in Zenbeats. Bouncing between the 2 and got another few almost finished. Still deciding on my favourite apps to use but I’ve a good selection im happy with to make finished tracks. Just few more to add

1 Like

You have some great options:
. Drambo
. LK
. Cubasis 3
. NanoStudio 2
. ZenBeats
. AUM
. SunVox

1 Like

I’ve been recording 2 albums on iPad over a couple of years.
Both with Auria Pro. On older iPad models you just have to be careful to not overload cause it might crash.
It is full featured according my needs, managing ADAT until 48 tracks if i’m correct. You can freeze tracks to save CPU.
As i was on the road all year long, editing wherever with an iPad is a blessing :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t dived into Drambo yet… didn’t realise you can arrange full tracks. Will have to investigate that first before jumping on one of Cubasis / Auria.

Really happy with this world of sound by now, just need to decide whether to keep exporting to Ableton, or try doing everything onboard…

Cheers, yeah… I have that in mind for whenever it’s time to venture out into the world again. Incredible possibilities in this tiny machine. I’m just hoping this last arrangement phase isn’t too frustrating, coming from Ableton

Drambo works with clips or sequences rather than a timeline. If in aum you can record to seperate stems the mix and master on a seperate daw in a timeline but I just record the master out

1 Like

Cheers - Will try it out ASAP

I can’t tell you i never opened Ableton or maybe a few times before it became Live, like 20 years ago… :wink:

1 Like

Yep Drambo is not a DAW but more like an Octatrack-in-an-app.

Depending on the genre of music you want to record, I’d say Drambo is more for « cyclic » music and probably more useful to record its own stuff. If you wanna incorporate instruments or just work with stem, i’d go for Auria any day.

2 Likes

Drambo is a full featured Midi Sequencer with a Song Arranger…so yes, it’s like an OctaTrack in the fullest sense. You definitely can create an entire album using Drambo. It’s not a traditional tool by any means, but certainly a capable and flexible one to achieve what one is trying to do for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like