Introducing Syntakt

very good - but Davids was before yours! :slight_smile:

Im very eager to pair this with my OT. Might be the very first item im buying newā€¦ Who knows. look so immediate and fun. Keen to hear some Hip Hop beats.

2 Likes

Preordered a reissued SP1200 coming the fall. Hip hop will never die :grinning:

a used Rytm Mk2 is about the same price as the new ST, Iā€™m really surprised that people have chosen a new box which has a lot limitations when compared to the AR mkII (song mode, kits, sample layering etc), many of which as like new

1 Like

not really a synth then, more a basic mono groovebox

Same price. Where?

Thanks, understood. But those MIDI tracks seem to be monophonic ā€“ or limited to (up to) straight 4 voice chords.

Did a Elektron say how much storage was in the box? I didnā€™t see anything on the spec sheet. Iā€™m guessing a 1Gb +drive? I supposed this is still a 68k based machine (coldfire/fusion or whatever they call it these days)? Be nice to see a teardown of how they put it together :slight_smile:

ā€¦also ST as the abbreviation. Im never not going to read that as Atari ST!

3 Likes

A used AR mk2 is about the same price; and i get your points. but pairing it to a sampler like Ableton or the Octatrack changes the perspective IMO. I got the AR and OT now. The benefits of the ST:

• Size
  • Amount of machines
  • LFOā€™s
  • Immediacy (AR is slow when browsing samples)

Of course the layering is a very strong feature, but a sampler can add to that as well, sorta. for me the new graphics are amazing and they look like they will make sound design very tactile and creative.

1 Like

totally :joy::heart:

2 Likes

Yes, 4 voices max. 1 ā€œeventā€ max per step.
Yes, itā€™s limited in some ways.
But you can plock MIDI parameters, and use the MIDI track LFO as well. It actually makes your external gear more powerful.

1 Like

People keep commenting that ā€œno kitsā€ would be a loss. What does having kits give you that copying a pattern to another pattern and deleting the trigs doesnā€™t?

Context: I have an AR, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d miss kits.

2 Likes

While I perfectly understand excess heat from analog circuitry needs to go somewhere, this might actually be a fact I worry about? How do you expect the Syntakt to perform under warmer conditions in a club or in summer? To which extent can it be driven without losing stability?

1 Like

If you adjust sounds in a Kit, the changes are immediately shared over all the Patterns that use this Kit.
Without Kit, you have to copy/paste each Sound over each Pattern.

5 Likes

Oh yes. I forgot about that.

Thereā€™s so many people complaining about this feature when then move to AR from a DT that I forget that itā€™s also considered helpful by some (me included).

3 Likes

true, but sometimes thatā€™s a good thing, that it wouldnā€™t change the sound in every pattern. Trips me up sometimes.
(Oh yeh, and sometimes I forget to save kit changes :joy:)

1 Like

This is so well mixed and shows the other, more gente side:

I think the global filter & overdrive helps to soften that hifi signature sound from these boxes.

Got a bit weary of hyperactive YT ā€˜celebritiesā€™ doing half-assed techno bangers.
Hope to hear more cool tracks popping out next week :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a bold replacement! Iā€™ve got AR, A4 + DN and still want to get the ST - I guess if the ST is exactly what I need, then I may part with one of the machines, but at face value, thereā€™s not too much of an overlap in the way that I use the machines

2 Likes

Yeh, but I dont use the AR as intensly as I was two years ago, and now I only use the AK as a Bass rhythm synth. Totally underutilised. And I was about to get the DT to replace the AK. So, this ST is all my needs in one little box.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this was already stated before as the thread is too big, but to me this release is a very bold and promising statementā€¦

After having seen some important people leaving the company, after having seen a new CEO with a SaaS background and also remembering the survey, I canā€™t deny I had some fears that Elektron takes a direction I personally might not like that much.

Having launched the Syntakt feels like a commitment to hardware and looking at the amazing UI animations or the newly added tricks like the modulators, it gives me a good feeling that there are still a lot of cool and creative people around at Elektron.

So many thanks and a big cheers to them from my side :beers:

18 Likes