Introducing Syntakt

Anyway I love this thing, I always said my dream machine would be a Nord Drum 2 with an Elektron sequencer - so this is as close as it gets for me at the moment. I’m enjoying it a lot and I’m happy with what I’m getting out of it, so worth it!

3 Likes

My wish, if they are adding machines, is that they take inspiration from Nord Drum voices.

More of that twangy, synthetic, clup and clik, other worldly near acoustic modelling style if that’s a way of describing it.

12 Likes

That’s probably the resonant synthesis I’d guess? Mutable Instruments Rings style.

If implemented on Syntakt you could have the ability to use another track as the excitor :exploding_head:

3 Likes

No, you can use different machines, as long as you use Digital type Soundlocks for tracks 1-8, Analog Drum type for tracks 9-11, Analog Cymbal like for track 12. I guess you can use Impulse / Noise types for tracks 9-12.

2 Likes

Are there any benefits of not having kits that we, the complainers, are not seeing?

Possibly. From the top of my head: Flexibility. Different patterns of a chain of patterns can have slight variable sounds or even completely different sounds for a break for example without having to resort to using multiple kits for one song or having to use sound locks for that. Easier to copy a pattern from one project to another. Easier to copy patterns in general. Less risk of destroying a kit because one forgot to switch kits for a new pattern.

On A4 kits are an annoyance for me because it’s another layer I need to keep track of so I end up using 1 kit per pattern as if kits were not a thing at all. (I mostly use 1 pattern per song). So it really depends ones workflow if kits are useful or not :slight_smile:

You can get around the no-kits limitation by saving the sequence data to the project (pattern menu ‘save to project’. Then copying the pattern containing the changed “kit” to the other patterns of the song and then reloading the sequence data on those (pattern menu ‘reload from project’.

4 Likes

It also gives the opportunity to mess with trigs and sound and reload everything in a blink.

1 Like

Okay Nauts, I’m on the GAS ledge. Anyone wanna talk me down?

Like many on this (and other forums) I am attracted to the idea of a small and efficient setup. How much pain would I be in if I sold an A4 mki and a DN to fund a ST (to pair with my DT)?

What appeals to me about the ST includes: analog and digital in one box, that master envelope/dist/filter (especially that it is all routable and p-lockable), the sound (bass heavy but still lots of clarity).

My hesitations include: getting rid of two amazing and capable boxes for the new kid on the block, not enough depth of synthesis on the ST, the never ending GAS wheel of pleasure and pain.

I know no one can definitively answer this for me but any thoughts? Any gotchas or disappointments on the ST? Thanks to anyone who chimes in!

You’re going to lose a ridiculous amount of sonic territory by selling an A4 and Digitone for a Syntakt.

9 Likes

This is the type of sobering smack that I need. Keep ‘em coming…

Edit: Mr. Ivar Tryti (one of my Elektron heroes), I see that you hearted the above post. I have also seen you, Dataline, Substan, Dave Mech, and others crush it solo on the ST. Would you be willing to weigh in on the ST experience compared to other Elektron offerings, the A4 and DN specifically? Many thanks!

Syntakt is in no way a valid substitute of any of those devices…it will complement them immensely but I don’t think you’ll be happy with the synth engines it has compared to the power of an AF and a Digitone.

1 Like

Trading those for ST doesn’t make much sense tbh. If I had to choose between an A4+DN or an ST the choice would definitely be the former. Because A4 and DN together offer infinitely more depth and sound design potential.

If you want something more straight forward and quick to lay down ideas with and don’t care that much about the depth a4 and DN offer (maybe because of a lack of time?), Then I guess ST is a viable trade.

3 Likes

There might be some benefits but we, the complainers still need kits! :slight_smile:

Yes, time is a major factor (father and teacher here) but ya know what, I think I’m cured.

Thanks Dave Mech, you’re another one of my Elektron heroes!

2 Likes

I don’t know if you have other Stereo Synths/Devices but with this combo (ST, DT) you will have 20 Mono Tracks. You will lose Stereo Tracks and will rely on Stereo FXs. Of course, if that matters to you…But anyways, personally, I wouldn’t consider the swap.

1 Like

Hmm, does the ST’s unison (in chord mode) not pan spread? Bummer. I’m sure there are workarounds (fast LFOs and what not) but this is good to know. Thanks for the warning!

Thanks to the Nauts community for weighing in. All my gear is packed because we recently moved into a new place but now I’m going to unpack it and commit to what I have. You all are the best!

1 Like

Played with my ST last night after about a month hiatus. Layering the hats definitely helps give it some techno life. Fun box

1 Like

Must say that i think this is elektrons best box yet. I dont need an other elektron box, maybe a sampling one but i got other sampling stuff. Great box, so much power and diversity IMO.

4 Likes

What do you like about the ST? The sound? The ease of use? All of the above?