Introducing Syntakt

If anything, I find that it has way more sweet spots than the Rytm or MD, can’t speak for the other machines though. There are fewer parameters to mess around with on the analog machines, which enables this fine tuned sound in the way the limitation of classic drum machines like 808 do, I believe. The analog voices are more clear sounding than the Rytm, to me as well. I have no plans of getting rid of it, it’s an all in one dream box. Would love additional machines though – that’s my only gripe, too few.

7 Likes

Mine was like the picture to the right

Returned it as I liked it but not loved like the Rytm

1 Like

I’ll add A4, Digitone…
ST Digital machines have a lot of sweet spots, their parameters are made for that (from Model Cycle) ! Maybe too much. :content:
Let us make uggly sounds please. :pl:

4 Likes

So I’m combing through the ST manual (still considering a purchase) and have a question about sound locks. Do they need to be the same machines? In other words, is it possible to have a kick and snare on the same track via sound locking or is this a no go?

Think I’m going to sell mine after spending the last month or so with it. It’s a decent drum synth but the synthesizer side of it, for me, is relatively useless. It is cool, though. I’m also still just using my Digitakt the majority of the time for drum sounds. I really wish there were more machines to use as foundations for drum sounds on the Syntakt. I’ll make a couple more things on it but I don’t think I’ll change my mind.

1 Like

When I’m using the Syntakt on its own, I absolutely adore it and want to do an EP or album using nothing else. When I use it as a drum machine with other devices, the sounds - even when using overdrive and the analogue FX - sound a bit weak in a mix. Especially the analogue snares, which I’ve complained about here before. Ultimately, this is something I can compensate for with compression/EQ/etc, it just takes more work than when I use samples or even my old Drumbrute Impact. It definitely cured me of my GAS for the Rytm - I’m less than impressed with ST’s analogue drums. When I use the synth voices alongside other devices, they get the job done but honestly none of them is as good as my other gear at those things. Peak does chords better, Pro-3 and Take 5 both do bass and leads better. Even my Microfreak gets weird a bit more readily and flexibly than ST. I’ll admit I barely use the VCO so I’m sure I’m missing out there. Syntakt offers a lot of flexibility but it feels like it doesn’t excel at any one thing, which is kind of a bummer.

All of that said, I love this little box and am having a blast exploring it. No plans to get rid of it any time soon, but if I travelled back in time and got a DT instead I wouldn’t be mad.

2 Likes

Comparing ST to all of that is also slightly unfair eh ;).

ST obviously can’t do the synth thing as well as dedicated synths. Yet dedicated synths can’t come close to what ST can do.

I try not to use ST as something traditional. Rather push it to weirdness where no synth can touch it

8 Likes

Was you expecting the Syntakt to out perform the Peak, Pro-3 and Take 5 in the synth department?

1 Like

Of course not - likewise, none of the synths I mentioned can do percussion like the Syntakt can, or sequence as well. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. I knew the chord engine in particular would be borderline useless for me, because the one from the M:C is also mostly useless for me. Had I known that would be the sole focus of responses to my comment, I’d have left that out. I was just laying out my complete feelings on the device because I figured that might be helpful to someone sometime.

What I did expect is for the drums to sound… idunno, punchier, better, more complex. That’s the thing that’s actually disappointing about the Syntakt.

4 Likes

I think his point was that as a standalone device it’s fun and capable but when you start to work in with other gear it becomes less useful.

3 Likes

This was precisely my point, I’m glad it came through!

1 Like

Your poi t was clear from the get go. :slight_smile:

Also understand why you made the comparison as it was for your particular situation. My point was that syntakt is not really aimed to excel in that stuff.

For drums I would suggest to layer more. Kicks and basses or beautiful on syntakt when programmed in the right way. I sometimes use 2 analog and a digital voice for just a kick for example. It’s the capability beyond the default engine sounds where it starts to shine imho.

5 Likes

I felt that OT+ST were giving me both the samples, the drums, the analog bass and the digital percussions and elegant leads. Very convenient for a compact setup to bring for live or jam sessions outside the studio.
Using all LFOs to push the sound, make it more punchy if needed.

As @DaveMech said, exploring the less obvious paths is rewarding!

4 Likes

For some reason I found myself watching Syntakt videos last night while doing dishes and realized it reminds me of Mutable Instruments’ Plaits.

Plaits gives you a bunch of different models (like Syntakt’s machines) and predefined controls for each model that keep you within a range of sweet spots. Plaits gets criticized in similar ways that Syntakt does (for sounding weak or having opaque controls, etc.) but also is defended in similar ways — when you start modulating the parameters on Plaits, it really comes alive and it’s one of the most fun sound sources to patch with. Like, I know the “Waveshaping oscillator” mode on Plaits can’t compete with a Buchla, but I also know when I fire that thing up and get some CV going through it, it sounds great and it’s a blast to work with.

Has anyone played both / does this comparison make sense?

Edit: I’m dumb and just searched the thread and @blakewalt made this comparison already, cheers dude :pray:

6 Likes

Happy to hear I’m not the only one haha!
Haven’t played with the ST yet but having 2 plaits and looking to get 2 more (Plaitriarch), I’m pretty much sure I’d have a blast witht the ST too. It’s on my ever expanding list of gear to GAS about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

1 Like

To be honest, I’d like a snare drum sound that cuts through the mix without having to layer sounds or tweak every imaginable parameter in the machine. Bought my Syntakt the day it came out and I’ve used it almost everyday since, but I still struggle to get a sound I like out of those snare machines…

1 Like

I’d try another machine. elektron stuff shines when you use it unconventionally imo. personally I don’t really like the Syntakt sound when used conventionally (hat for hats, snare for snare etc). just sounds like a demo. it can sound amazing when u step outside that.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I usually end up doing, but sometimes you just want your bread & butter kinda sounding snare, not some weird glitchy snappy sound. With so many machines dedicated to snare sounds, you would have thought one would be good for that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

haha fair point