Introducing Syntakt

however, i fully agree with that (NordDrum) and would love to have one or two acoustic sounding machines (especially snare) included, with an emphasis on resonance.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s because drum boxes can be polarizing. While a good amount of sounds are attractive, unfortunately enough sounds/machines are not preferredā€¦ therefore making the total package ā€œnot worth itā€ for some.

What a bunch of people are doing with the ST is awesome.

However this does not mean I donā€™t like it! Itā€™s a beast of a box and clearly has awesome potential. Iā€™d get it for the DFAM like sounds alone. What a gem.

This is the syndrome of ā€œitā€™s too newā€ and a lot of default sounds are pushing some people away.

I donā€™t even know why Iā€™m defending this, I never brought this upā€¦ but there are some cycles sounds that I can never get around to liking, and maybe thatā€™s what is pushing people away?

Itā€™s like not liking a soda machine because it has a soda you donā€™t like even though you arenā€™t forced to drink that one soda you donā€™t likeā€¦

5 Likes

the dvco are the best aspect imo. you should really spend some time with those. no elektron synth sounds as good as those. and you cant get wave/physical modelling/va plus analog on ny other elektron machine. those sounds inside a mutli-track elektron sequencer alone are enough incentive for me to keep it. apart from its incredible overall sound.

elektron instruments are extremely deep, you just have to get creative. and this is the elektron box with the most varied sound design options that currently exists

like the sy bits engine isnt as limited as it seems. you can set up like 8 tracks all with different waveforms and varying bit depths and sample rates, detune relationships to the fundamental, decay, and noise/osc balance. that one machine alone makes for a pretty impressive multi track synth, esp when run through analog saturation and an analog notch filter

8 Likes

i made this one quick, between the last post and this one somewhere (took like 6 minutes), so its not a masterpiece but i think the syntakt excels at making very musically interesting compositions/patterns from the tools available within the deep interconnected framework

this is four slightly varied sy bits tracks

18 Likes

If you look enough, thereā€™s tons of people hating on the machinedrum too for its sound. Then thereā€™s people who will be buried with their MDs. Not comparing the ST and MD. Just agreeing with you that people are being people. Lol

1 Like

spam: one SY BITS :wink:

ā€¦ and who hasnā€™t visited yet, thereā€™s this thread with literally every style of music: Syntakt standalone music

9 Likes

Was expecting

Is disappoint

7 Likes

Tried musubi for the first time recently, now that you mention that

5 Likes

I like the sound of these ones :slight_smile:

the one below hits like a spiked bat at 2:21

4 Likes

Spammety Spam? Bacon Spam Spam Spam Eggs and Spam?

1 Like

ST just arrived, only issue I have is preserving my hearing. It sounds great through genelec 8040Bs :joy:

4 Likes

New 1.01 firmware for syntakt available now! :smiley:

3 Likes
13 Likes

To guys with multiple Elektron boxes, what are your favourite machines on the syntakt?

As someone who chained the ST to DT/DN/A4, I find myself using it mostly as a drum machine - making use of the 12 tracks. That and the occasion bits machineā€¦ As for the rest of the tonal machines, I find them quite underwhelming. Am I missing something?

Yes indeed.
Play it like itā€™s your one and only.
Turn it into an ambient machine. Drone machine.
Imagine tricks like playing all tracks at once.
Use and abuse the LFOs, including plocking them.
Try every single machine as a loop in ADSR or AHD+note amp envelope.
Use the AFX LFOs!! Get a chorus out of the double notch analog filter.

5 Likes

So great! :star_struck:

1 Like

Is this a technical term for the analog channels 9, 10 and 11 on the syntakt?

Iā€™ve hit my stride with it recently. Such a good feeling being able to pick it up and just write.

What Iā€™ve done to achieve more instant gratification is I made a variety of patterns that sound pretty good, with carefully tweaked filters, envelopes, and levels, and I use this pattern bank as a kit browser of sorts. When I want to make something new, I copy one of those patterns to a new pattern slot, and clear the sequence data from the new pattern.

All the machine assignments, parameters, scale etc settings are still intact.
So I can just write, tweak the machines, swap out machines assignments if necessary. This saves so much time in the composition process, and gets me back to some of the benefits the bigger Elektron machines have WRT kit browsing.

And so now it actually reminds me a lot of how Iā€™ve set up my OT. I can just pick it up and go, 20 minutes later I am ready to record. And better yet, I can do that in my iPhone! Using class compliant USB and AudioShare to record at 48khz/24bit .wav
Move that recording to my DAW for some fixed, tweaks, mastering. Itā€™s a great workflow.

11 Likes

No. It is like an m:c (which I love and have 2 of) with more channels, programmable FX-channel, much better UI (graphical feedback), BP-filters, audio in, attractive looks, beautiful colors, DT workflow - and it feels much better. Plus it has those analog channels (but, honestly, I use the ST more like an upgraded modded out version of an m:c :sweat_smile: :star_struck: :blush: :innocent:)

3 Likes

I think the only machine brought over from cycles that Iā€™ve been using the last couple weeks is the PC Carbon; which I believe is derived from the Perc machine on cycles.

Itā€™s the least distinctive, too.

So otherwise, I kinda treat mine like a mini Rytm meets mini MD. Analog kicks, DVCOs, new digital snares and claps, and hats and shakers made from the new clap machine. All hitting the analog fx block hard. Itā€™s delicious.

6 Likes