Introducing Syntakt

I guess I mean it just sounds incredibly good. Like the synthesis sounds like a well polished sample.

1 Like

It seems that the ST presents itself as an all-in-one-package. The sound-demos are impressive … if Elektron had included CV-out, that would be madness

this thing can do nearly everything!!!

2 Likes

@echo_opera - looks like a dream set up - I’m presuming Drambo is taking on the duties of a DT in this context, but I’m interested to understand the signal flow - is It DN > ST > Drambo or another configuration? Are you using Drambo to introduce a form of Song Mode for the two Elektron devices? There’s a degree of overlap in all three as well - I previously tried a DN <> Drambo hybrid and while it worked I never quite knew where I should focus my attentions in a performative context. Here it looks like the Drambo is the centre of things. Anyway looks cool and will be interested to see what you make of it…

I’m kinda with you but while you’re insisting it’s just a drum machine, Elektron are selling it as:

Drum and melody. In full fusion.

All your sound crafting, sequencing, and performance needs are fulfilled, in an all-round music mega box that fits in your lap.

So expecting basic polyphony to cater for your melody isn’t the craziest thing in the world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s compatible with the other Elektron, 12V/2A.

1 Like

If we’re playing with words, let’s do it to the bottom of it.

Melody: a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea. :tongue:

Anyway, the synth side is discussed here:

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction I didn’t actually know melody implied single notes! Learning!

I’m not complaining either way - I’m increasingly tempted by the box. But most groovebox type things can do polyphony - so all I’m saying is I don’t tink it’s strange that people want/expect it.

It does have a slightly confusing personality which is lending to this perception. If it were simply being sold as a drum machine no one would bat an eye - but instinctively people may want to compare it to something like an MPC or the Novation circuits.

Let’s not ignore the enthusiastic marketing claim of it being an “all-round music mega box” - unless of course you want to play more than one note at a time :slight_smile:

It’s becomming clearer through seeing demos what its actual character is. And I dig it - and it’s certainly more than just a drum machine.

4 Likes

With the amount of tracks available, I often find myself copying the melody of track to a new one, load a new machine and mess with the parameters. This is especially nice with the chord machine, using different LFO settings to modulate the inversion parameters, configuring different velocity settings, and hard panning the tracks left and right. The FX track can bring it all together with some filter sweeps and a bit of drive.
On paper, the individual machines seem pretty simple, but there are so many possibilities to layer, route, and modulate sequences that I don’t see myself running out of ideas with the ST any time soon.

8 Likes

Heres the follow up breakdown video from the jam i did the other day! For anyone interested in sound design and opening up the Syntakts performance macro capabilities with a midi controller.

11 Likes

No, Syntakt has 12 monophonic tracks, which by definition is multi-timbrality, not polyphony.

9 Likes

This is what I usual do with my dn and dt but would run out of tracks, now with the st I can fill my boots, happy dayzzz

1 Like

“Single tones” with long release should at least not cut each other off. I hope we’ll see at least some kind of monophonic voice allocation in a future update.

4 Likes

But each track is monophonic so wouldn’t you expect that, like with any monosynth.

1 Like

The Chord machine is not monophonic. I don’t see a reason for not adding a unison mode to it, which allows for overlapping voices.

Sounds reasonable, but OTOH it wouldn’t surprise me at all to find that the present chord algorithm relies entirely on all the notes being derived from a common pitch (e.g. something like: all the pitches playing are harmonics of some other note), meaning that a switch to overlapping notes would mean writing and entirely new machine.

But since neither you nor I have access to the code, we’ll likely never know how easy/hard it might be.

Using what terminology? A 12 person choir performs music that is polyphonic, even though each singer has a different voice. Or would you also say choral music is multi-timbral and not polyphonic?

Synth terminology is primarily marketing speak; paraphonic means two totally different things depending if you’re talking about synths or composition for instance, but you probably know that.

Back to the Syntakt, the chord machine is certainly polyphonic by any musical definition. It plays chords! If you want typical synth polyphony with other machines you can achieve that as well, just with a bit of programming. No, you can’t assign voices like the Digitione but that doesn’t equal a lack of polyphony (musically anyway).

Anyway, I don’t actually have much of a horse in this race. I’m not planning on getting a Syntakt anytime soon. It seems like it does some things really well and other things less well which is true for every piece of gear I own.

2 Likes

You can get overlapping voices with two or more unison tracks (or any other kind of machine). What you will miss is the machine doing voice allocation for you.

I believe the Chord machine uses each of the four FM operators as one voice. As it stands, a new note comes out of the sequencer, and whatever parameters it comes with (whether from knobs or p-locks) takes over. If you want some of the operators to carry on as they were before, while one or more do something new (as would happen with overlapping unison notes on a single track), then you have to do most of the work of a general voice allocation mechanism such as the Digitone has. People would clamour to have it for the other machines as well.

1 Like

Yes it is monophonic, it only uses one voice. The chords are achieved by setting several oscillators to a different pitch. Just because a monophonic synth has 3 oscillators that can be independently tuned/pitched to different intervals doesn’t make it polyphonic.

1 Like

It does have a unison mode, but I don’t think that will solve your issue

Common synthesizer terminology. There’s a reason why you won’t see the word “polyphony” once in the Syntakt manual.

By definition of the word, the chords machine is admittedly a form of rudimentary polyphony, but not the kind of polyphony that’s commonly referred to when speaking about synthesizers, where the requirement is that each tone is played individually, with its own envelope and set of oscillators. What Syntakt is doing is taking one tone and tuning the individual oscillators/modulators of that tone to form a chord. The limitations are that the notes in the chord have common envelop and modulations and can’t be strumming or played individually. So in synthesizer terms, that’s wouldn’t even qualify as paraphonic, let alone polyphonic. It’s a nice feature for a monophonic synth though.

3 Likes