Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone and Digitone Keys

The transfer screen didn’t prompt me to do anything immediately after the update but the unit said it was finished and I manually restarted it. Am I supposed to have the software do that?

No, but important to wait a while ( half minute, i don‘t know) before turning on again after turning off. Don‘t know if you did that or if that could have been the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for testing and confirming, I haven’t managed to get DT to follow correctly either

1 Like

Ok thanks for checking.
Hope he’ll manage to update Elk Herd for that soon. Just asked him in this thread

Everyone interested in it might want to consider supporting mzero with a beer :slight_smile:

Has anyone noticed that the 1st trig condition doesn’t work if you’re repeating patterns on different rows? Shouldn’t that TC, in song mode, play 1st on every new row? That’d be the logical thing if you wanted a down beat crash on every first new row, right?

I think it treats new rows of the same pattern as a continuation of that pattern. That way your 1:2 type trig’s will still work how you expect.

2 Likes

Ya. That makes sense. We need a 1st per row tc!

2 Likes

I wish we had a “advance to the next pattern if the fill button is held at the end of the last pattern” option on song mode. I really like the set order of patterns that song mode has, but I wish advancing through them was a little more hands on, and I often have drum fills at the end of patterns that bridge the two patterns, and it would be really cool if I could just hold down the fill button and move to the next pattern whenever I felt like it.

2 Likes

I use song mode on both my AR2 and my A4. I have the AR2 set as the master controller. When I hit play on the AR2 it starts the A4 and the A4 just follows via midi sync. Very simple.

An alternative to song mode is a midi loopback and using a midi track to send program changes to itself. This works on the Digitakt but I don’t own any other Digi’s, so not sure if it works on those too.

The nice thing about this method is that you can have program changes as conditional/chance trigs. Very useful when making generative music or soundscapes and such.

I would love to have an option to internally route midi tracks to audio tracks. A firmware based midi loopback mode. I’ll keep dreaming :wink:

7 Likes

So, DT controlling DN mutes works fine, when Song Mode is off, but not when Song Mode is turned on. What am I missing?

Miles Kvndra is pointing this out in his video :

2 Likes

The only way I’ve found to fully compensate for the lack of an OFFSET function is to make several, pre-offset copies of the same pattern:

Pattern 1: no offset
Pattern 2: all tracks offset by 1 steps
Pattern 3: all tracks offset by 2 steps
Etc.

So basically you’ll have a number of versions of the same pattern, offset by an increasing amount. It will give you the same results, but it’s tedious and time consuming. And the moment you decide to change some aspects of your pattern, you will have to do it X amount of times.

5 Likes

Indeed. I did it with ST, shifting 12 tracks is boring…

3 Likes

I have some patterns that really starts with step #9. I assume I would have to offset them all in order to have a clean song, otherwise, it might not be possible to do it in song mode, right?

2 Likes

Thanks and d‘oh!

1 Like

That’s right, you can’t use song mode to offset the start point. All offsets must be done within the pattern.

2 Likes

Imagine if song mode had individual track offsets…

2 Likes

I’m sure this has been discussed, but it’d be great if when in global mute mode while running a song you could see which tracks are muted in the patten, too. Maybe have the light be green and purple? Or maybe the green mute trigs with muted pattern tracks show up yellow? I dunno. But a way to see what is muted in each state at the same time would be nice in general.

Imagine if we had song mode

1 Like