Elk-Herd 3.0

I think it was mentioned before … if someone buys him the hardware and he has time to reverse engineer things then maybe it’ll be developed further.

Otherwise send requests to elektron or get ready to do a lot of manual copy/paste / rewriting work.

hi! does anyone tried elk-herd 3.0 with the new update with song mode? is this working good?

The beta is not working anymore with 1.40. I can’t fetch the patterns from a program anymore for example.
too bad that that elk-herd is not ported in to Elektron software…

So DT 1.30B is the highest update to go before
ElkHerd Version 3.0.2beta does not work/has issues…

Is that the current state of play?

1 Like

I imagine that the beta doesn’t work in the new 1.4 firmware. So many changes in the project structure. I haven’t updated yet for that reason, even I’m really curious about testing the new great features.
But elk-herd and the ability to merge patterns and sounds through different projects is crucial for me. We are really thankful to mzero’s great job and we hope we will have a new version.

4 Likes

Hey there @mzero

I - as many others - really dig Elk Herd (and actually think it should be something funded by @Elektron.

Anyways, do u think u will find time soon to make Elk Herd work with the new DT 1.40 FW?
Also, as I think there have been some bug reports on that FW already, it might be sensible to wait for the next bug-fixing Update?

Cheers!

4 Likes

@mzero

2 Likes

So Im trying to recover a project I saved as sysex before sending my digitakt off for repair (my digitakt came back empty). I am getting this message when trying to import the project into elk herd to then transfer to my digitakt: Error reading project:

Does not parse as SysEx messages (pattern version 6 out of supported range 0 ~ 5)

Im wondering what this means and how I can get this sysex project file onto my machine?

Elk Erd is great!
Can’t imagine why this app is not included into the official Elektron software

5 Likes

Sounds like you’re on an older firmware than the sysex file was generated on.

How can one regress to 1.30?
Another one here to say Elektron should incorporate elk-herd or be somewhat more accommodating.

1 Like

Ask to elektron the OS 1.30B patch but it can potentially corrupt projects and settings. Projects that have been saved in a newer version can also not be loaded in an older OS.

1 Like

Grrrrrrr! Thanks.
I have asked Elektron, awaiting response.
I’ll get around it for the gig, good thing I have the SP404 on hand, to bounce between the DT. Elk-herd is boss when it comes to project management. Maybe I missed the chapter or tutorial on the Elektron way of creating a ‘project / live set’ by consolidating songs I have spread in various folders within the DT.

likewise just realised I had been assuming I would be able to do this and have random patterns dotted all over the shop… no elk-herd is a bit of a shock!

Guys, I’ve just discovered who’s behind Elk-Herd:
Mark Lentczner

curriculum vitae
http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/cv.html

He’s a giant of software programming and a great musician too!

His website:
https://electric.kitchen/

Maximum respect

6 Likes

is there an eta on the updated elk-herd?

Not as yet I think… maybe let’s all buy him a beer on payday and see what happens? :wink:

2 Likes

I really think @mzero should consider setting up a gofundme for the continued development of Elk-Herd. I’m pretty sure the beer fund has been pretty negligible considering the time and effort that he’s put into it.

7 Likes

A true legend. He is also responsible for the iconic bong sound Apple machines used to play when booting up! :cb:

10 Likes

His site saves my model sample cause i’m on Chromebook now but i will like to have it on standalone :+1: