Introducing Octatrack MKII

Next weeks announcement: external sequencing possible from A4 and Rytm Mk1 and Mk2.

8 Likes

The A4 already sequences externally.

1 Like

Via midi.

1 Like

Bravo to Electron!! how they introduce their new products without making the older models redundant some how. Adding the needs to be able to combine them in interesting ways.

If that were possible Iā€™d be sitting so pretty. Now I just need to find an individual out mod for the A4.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure many of us would appreciate some elaboration on this.

Perhaps some starting points and/or pitfalls with certain areas of the signal path.

Care to illuminate?

Fact, according to sweetwater. Talked to the guy 2 days in a row. Yesterday was end of September. Today was end of October. Tomorrow will beā€¦ well you know. Might as well forget that I even ordered it. Iā€™m not even going to ask him about the AR and the A4 I ordered as well. 2019?
:anguished:

Thomann.de says 2-5 days

Octatrack is waiting patiently in the wings to beat the livinā€™ bejaysus out of Octatrack ā€œMk IIā€, the new young upstart with its extra nipples, its super pressable buttons, its juicy screen and the ā€˜Mk IIā€™ after its name, thinkin itā€™s all that.

THE Octatrack vs this ā€œMk IIā€ showdown, the rumble in the sample, the fight to beat all fights. Iā€™m with Octatrack, the Original, the Formidable, there can never be a better and it refuses to be called ā€œMk Iā€.

It is, Octatrack.

7 Likes

Sureā€¦

First the external source needs to be set at a healthy level, which makes the LEDs go orange and possibly flash red here and there, definitely above green.

A trick I found is to use the noise gate which gives you a db reading, and crank it up until your signal disappears, this will tell you what the OT thinks the input level is, hitting at -20db to -12db seems good to get a healthy signal and still have headroom for OT to sum.
You can also open the audio editor while recording and watch the waveform, changing your source volume until the waveform is around 70 to 90% of the available height in the displayā€¦

Since one might often be monitoring a source elsewhere and reroute to OT for sampling, the following settings will ensure the same volume is heard when switching from the other monitoring to monitoring through the OT:

For all:
Master volume: 19
If using a master track: track level 127

Mixer direct monitoring: dir 127
Flex playback of buffer: track level 127
PU: track level 127, monitoring level on rec pg2: 127
Thru: track level 127, amp vol +49
Any values not listed: default

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s other ways to go but this setup works great for mixing and matching monitoring of external gear for sampling/looping/fx processing and maintaining constant volumeā€¦ :monkey_face:

17 Likes

I think probably the biggest pitfall is thru machines with default settingsā€¦
If you enable a thru with default settings, the signal is really weak and one would think that the sound is nowhere near as if it were not going through OTā€¦
I think the level is dropped to account for extreme fx, but itā€™s way too muchā€¦ As shown above it takes a whopping +49 on amp vol along with full track level, full master track level, and main at +19 to get back to unityā€¦

As Iā€™m primarily loop and live instrument based, all my settings are for use with external gearā€¦
I donā€™t have much experience with using already existing samples and flex machine playback, there might be some more details in that area to get a good mixā€¦

9 Likes

ok, have to put an update to my video! that was completely unexpected after the response i got several months ago ^^ Trig Conditions coming to both Octatracks ā€¦ grrreat!

forget what i said guys :wink: seems that this guy from Elektron back at the day was either misinformed, or not allowed to tell me the truth. shame on you, Fredrik Alm!!! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Really?

1 Like

I thought thatā€™s what I read- is that not true?

Both the Mark 1 and Mark 2 are described as having USB 2.0 ports. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything to indicate any difference.

3 Likes

Same as Mk 1: 128 flex + 128 static.

1 Like

Oh yeah, of course. Long day at work today.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread

Local dealer here says heā€™s gotā€™em next week. But who knows?

1 Like

Iā€™ll see it when I believe itā€¦
Or something like thatā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like