Introducing Octatrack MKII

Soon definitely means “we don’t know when” !
I’m waiting for a product “coming soon” since 2014 ! (Oto Boum).
http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/demotivation.us_Coming-soon…-_131586346418.jpg

2 Likes

I was expecting the OT mk II to drop before the SE-02 at my local retailer, but seems like the SE-02 got here first :content:

1 Like

According to my retailer (Sweden somewhere) it may be coming in today. Hope.

6 Likes

I wish they’d added more outputs on mk2 since it doesnt have OB.
its the main reason I personally got rid of my mk1 and wont get an mk2, i do my final mixes itb.
:[

[edit]…“might” not get an mk2 :wink:

2 Likes

Anyone know the following:

Shipping dates for 8TRKMK2?
Sample / Bit Rate?
Audio Over USB capability?

Praying for audio over usb in some capacity, and or 24 bit 48k.

:pray:
~Beta Minor

Shipping “soon” according to elektron.se.
24 or 16 bit 44.1 as before - we know nothing else.
Not likely to see audio over USB since they are not doing anything major to the firmware.

1 Like

(My hopes and dreams slowly fade)

1 Like

they are not touching the OS at all :wink: got a response from Elektron way back at the time i did my Elektron MKII video where they said: “Consider the OT MKII a strict mechanical upgrade”. Fredrik Alm was his name.

1 Like

But of course they are ‘touching the OS’, but not in a major way. The buttons on the front have changed, so the old firmware definitely will not work. (The USB hardware changed too as for instance.)

Good catch WeirdFishes on the ‘sneeky revisionist’ updates to the Elektron web-site. (The same as how i just updated this post.)

1 Like

The new Buttons are shortcuts to existing functions. They dont touch the OS. I can understand your wishful thinkings, but its the way it is :wink: Also, the “old” Firmware is non existent, as both MKI and MKII share the same firmware! Watch my Video about this matter over at Youtube. I covered all the official responses from Fredrik Alm there.

5 Likes

AK also has shortcuts that aren’t buttons on the A4.

Poly config is one.
Multi Map is another.

OT MKII button shortcuts will behave the same way. They send you to pre-existing destinations (menus).

3 Likes

Surely there will be an OS update, and it will be the same for both boxes.

4 Likes

He can speak for himself, but I suspect that that remark from @umonox was intended as an interpretation of an Elektron official’s remark that the OT MKII itself is a purely mechanical upgrade.
I.e. no new, additional software features added with this MKII hardware. Just mechanical. Any changes to the code only exist to serve the new hardware config.

Sure the OS will be touched, but we are splitting hairs here. It’s a turn of phrase, and a generalization. Nothing accomplished by treating it literally.

2 Likes

theyre touching the OS? Overbridge confirmed!!!

6 Likes

I’m hoping for presampling…
We’ve got resampling but I wanna just turn it on and all my stuff is sampled already… :smile:

10 Likes

fingers crossed for pre-locks too

2 Likes

Keep in mind, you all are talking about something that does not exist. :stuck_out_tongue:

when an OS is written and working there is an outer shell available, a certain number of limited options are “exposed” via the Application Programming Interface. This is object oriented programming technique 101 and essentially allows minor changes to the outer interactive functions of the program whilst disallowing any changes to the internal workings.

It’s referred to as encapsulation in the programming world and it means that changes to how the user makes the program work may be effectively accomplished without virtually any knowledge of how the inner functions are working.

The Octatrack is amazing already and the new features are fabulous, but yes, the changes made will be to the exposed parameters of the Application Programming Interface, rather than the application itself. The changes made will be via Getter and Setter methods, rather than any altering of data-oriented inner classes, etc.

1 Like

And I want to download all the knowledge to my brain needed to operate the thing. I hope there’s some better tutorials out there beside Cuckoo. I find his teaching method a tad slow for my taste. He’s a cool guy though.

I sleep with it on my head and learn thru osmosis… :sweat_smile: