Introducing Octatrack MKII

OT mk I + DT is obviously the more powerful choice

6 Likes

Funny you mention that,
With every other Elektron I have always used my ā€œKitsā€ in the same way a Part is setup, as a block of 4 patterns.
So it would just fall inline with my usual mode of operation.

But DTā€™s immediacy and 1/2 price cost of entry are tugging my heart strings.
The fact that all my Rytm chains are already compatible helps too.

Firmly on the fence between the two.

2 Likes

If you had already dived deep with the octa, thereā€™d be no doubt in your mind :3lektron:

With the DT, one can already envision ā€œwhat it doā€ if rytm is familiarā€¦ But the OT is a pandoraā€™s box

1 Like

Itā€™s not fair Adamjay, an OT will give you too much power :grin:, the rest of us need more time to finish tracks before we can let you have oneā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just succumbed and now have a new DT in front of me.
Form factor, focused functionality and GUI are instantly gratifying. It also sounds great - thanks to the reverb and delay, fairly useful filters and overall quality. Usage is very inviting - straight away more immediate than OT or RYTM for multisample messing and creation. Performance wise it is very friendly for livetweaking.
First counter thoughts are - all the other stuff OT can do, RYTMā€™s filters. But that is fair and expected.

3 Likes

Some great insight here, thank you for sharing :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for this. I pre-ordered on the day they were announced because I loved the Digitaktā€™s buttons so much, and reading your thoughts gets me really psyched again, even though I figure it might be a month before I finally have an Octatrack for the first time.

1 Like

If you loved the Digitakt mechanics, youā€™re gonna love your new Octatrack. Itā€™s a beautiful piece of engineering, for sure.

2 Likes

just submitted a rental application with storedj lol ā€¦
hoping they say yes to an abstract audiovisual arranger person.

merely thinking about the awesomeness of the mkII features prompts me to prepare much content in various mix formats ā€¦ drums only, drums without bassdrum, bassline, ensemble without bassline, hihat solo, 4-bar snare fills with the first three bars played straight ā€¦ and so on and so forth.

in order to perform improvised club trance, psy house

1 Like

IF I have a complaint about the OT it is around the ordering or the UX of the box. I think this is mostly due to the buttons and what is immediate. I find the DT to be a perfect front door. It is so immediate. The button that gets you right to sampling, the visual confirmation that you are indeed sampling, which is HUGE I canā€™t tell you how much frustration appears because you think youā€™re sampling, but youā€™re not. The fact that the DT gives you immediate visual feedback that you are indeed sampling is, I think, a huge piece of why it feels so open and immediate.

What Iā€™m wonderingā€¦is the OTMKII suddenly more simple and elegant because a few tools are suddenly on the top layer?

Do you mean that in order to appreciate it you have to be using it beyond simple sample playback?

Was sampling also more immediate?

ā€¦What I really want is a box with capabilities of the OT but the front access of the DT.

I just want to throw out that sampling is actually pretty quick on OT mk1. You just need to set up the recorder first, but itā€™s really just a few parameters like input selection, length, etcā€¦
You only need to set it up once and all you do after that is press the track button of the recorder plus the rec button for inputs or midi button for resampling.
Samples can be pre assigned to tracks already so they immediately appear.
There is a quick record mode that makes it so all you do is press rec a/b or c/d to initiate samplingā€¦
Really itā€™s just a little setup and then lots of immediate sampling after thatā€¦
By pressing one button alone, I can have my inputs sample a perfect loop that plays on a track immediately and also gets choped up and warped on multiple other tracks all simultaneously as well!
x8!

10 Likes

glad to hear this information, i never really did the sampling thing with the mkI

iā€™m planning on using the Machinedrum as a control surface to access the 8 machine levels immediately from one page

via ā€¦ two Midi Machines

then a Ctrl 8p to gain immediate access to 8 parameters from one page

Ctrl 8p remote-adjusts the two Midi Machineā€™s parameters to directly control the 8 Octatrack track volumes

Similar for freq/res

Machinedrum master tempo, single lead connection from MD to OT

2 Likes

I think, at this point, further comments from me on the MKII would be too much assumption and guessing. About the DT being immediate versus the Octatrack, I generally donā€™t agree with this statement. I get where itā€™s coming from, but the DT is jut easier to get to that point because thereā€™s less to get to grips with and as such, you learn some things faster.

But as @Open_Mike says, once youā€™ve got the Octatrack, I donā€™t think itā€™s less of an immediate sampler than the DT, mainly because I think the DTā€™s reputed super fast workflow is a bit like the emperorā€™s new clothes - itā€™s there because you want to see it and because compared to other Elektrons, yes, itā€™s immediate. But as a sampler in general, itā€™s a head scratcher for many at first. Iā€™ve got two friends who got the Digi as their first Elektron. They love it now. They didnā€™t, at first.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have a DT, but from what I understand you press a button that brings you to sampling, maybe adjust some settings?, sample, and then you are brought to an editor and assign section?
To me that seems a quicker way to jump into editing, but it seems less direct to just sample and have the new sample playā€¦
We all use these machines differently, for me my samples are usually a defined length and I want them to play immediately after sampling, I rarely go to audio editor with my live samplesā€¦
I think I understand how some people would think the DT is quicker for sampling, but the way I use samples it seems the OT is faster and allows for my immediate sample replacement across tracks. Iā€™ve adapted my style of performance towards sampling with OT and the DT seems like a whole nother style of sampling, more built for grabbing sounds, trimming, and then building things with them, where the OT seems set up to pre program ideas in tracks with recorder buffers, and hear them come to life live by samplingā€¦
Oddly, the OT seems like the quicker sampler to me as once your setup from then on you just push a button or two and donā€™t have to deal with editing or assigning, but I also find that most things that frustrate people about Elektron devices, I usually find perfectly suited for what Iā€™m up toā€¦ :grinning:

7 Likes

I agree.

The OTā€™s daunting not because of how itā€™s designed, but for all it can do. With all its potential, you gotta keep it cool and be comfortable that itā€™s not always comfortable. I love how that thing challenges the artist.

6 Likes

When I was learning the OT I admit there was a few times it drove me to the brink of insanity having me contemplate if I should get rid of all my electronic instruments ang go live in a tepee with only natural instrumentsā€¦ :sweat_smile:
After learning its ways by spending many a long sleepless nights encoding and decoding the frequencies of life, music, and everything, Iā€™m now super comfortable with it and find it easy. The lab remains my tepee and Iā€™m reminded how even an OT is made out of Earthā€¦
(Edit: it was little bugs and weird unexpected behaviors that drove me nutz rather than it being fundamentally difficult, but still)

6 Likes

Brillant haha

just got approval to rent a new one when it arrives ā€¦ estimated time of arrival slightly hazy, i guess that is due to rewiring the units to allow Machinedrum Orange mode.

1 Like

Sweetwater told me late August. Now Iā€™m hearing September 15th? :confused:

Sounds about right