Introducing Octatrack MKII

i was initially suprised by this but when i read ‘mechanical upgrade only’ in this thread i was a little let down.
sure , the hardware is better , buts its actually the same internals , hence no overbridge.

i would hope some os tweaks may happen if there are a new range of users / interest in it , but unless it appears , i wont be waiting for it.

the mk-II tag is similar to what theyve used before , so an upgrade to buttons/screen etc isnt inconsistant with previous revisions.
i wonder if this is also a different colour black to the digitakt and heat , its a shame they dont have consistant finishes to the paint/metal case.

and yes , nice to NOT have some obscure video with a banana riding an elephant teaser.

2 Likes

Oh man, looking more at the new UI, think I could live with how it looks :diddly:

…so now if the controls are rated to 50 m, will everything else in this unit last as long? If so a definitive upgrade at some point

The MKII of the monomachine got some new engines? Who knows what’s coming up?

2 Likes

Basically, we don’t know.

Anyone notice that the new screen is smaller? :smile:

7 Likes

That may have been the case in 2011 when OT was first released, but in 2017 newest SD cards (UHS-2) are just as fast as CF. New high end cameras (Sony A9 etc) also support SD instead of CF.

2 Likes

No ! That is the beauty about it :sunglasses:

Looking at this from a touring musicians point of view… i’ve encountered numerous complaints from collegues that were using OT’s on the road having some physical/technical issues. For starters the Encoders and the visibilty factor. For all of us, people using it in low-lit, sometimes harsh club/festival conditions this is worth considering buying the MkII.

6 Likes

Via a breakout board or something… v unlikely I know but I can dream eh :wink:

1 Like

November 2015

2 Likes

Elektron marks MKII at 8.5 inches…Thought that could be a game changer but then just realized they’ve got an error. 340mm still converts to 13.4 in… Where’s the cheese y’all?

Jon, does the OT mk-ii have an usb audio interface built in?

This is awesome ! I like the fact that Elektron is not making their old products obsoletes.
The new Octa is sexy as hell.

4 Likes

AED, audio editor?

2 Likes

Urgh, very underwhelming. Will certainly be keeping the MK1, and hoping for some OS updates…

I’m not from Elektron, but I’ll save them the bother of telling you: no.

1 Like

Updated screen makes a huge differences, but it would have to be MUCH bigger for me to upgrade to MKII.

For example the OT has the “runs free” mode where you can start each track separately. But the only indication if a track is actually running is the tiny little square that turns into a tiny little triangle on the edge of the tiny screen. Neither is there any track metering. That basically makes the whole “runs free” mode completely useless for me in performance situations. From what it looks like I don’t think this screen update will change much about this.

3 Likes

Ahh, you have all the hardware specs at your disposal then?

Hey elektron how about moving forward wIth this project and introducing something new?

Proposal:

2 channels of optional CV/Gate.
Plus maybe 2-4 channels of Rytm drums.

If it doesn’t have OB I wish they would at least let you record straight to CF so you can play a track and export 8 stems to your DAW no matter how long they are. No idea why the OT won’t allow you to do that. This small update would make such a huge difference for studio integration.

2 Likes